The arrogance and balls of one Nathan Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Mark25Jackson

Team Captain
Feb 9, 2011
Kardinya Cafe
AFL Club
Geelong
Been Discussed a lot of late about Malthouses options and his perspective etc, but IMO something that hasnt been adequatey covered is the arrogance of Buckley. He is in effect saying "although the current coach is an all time great and legend of the game, and is in fact coaching better than ever and will most likely have just coached back to back flags, I think I'm better. I Nathan Buckley am a better option for collIngwood than this immortal of The game. If he doesn't believe he is a better coach, what a selfish freak, basically telling Collingwood and all their supporters, "we may have the most amazing list in the afl, a list capable of winning 5 flags, but my own personal ambition overidea any sense I have of Wanting to see cOllingwood win as many lags as possible. Surely this list deserves the best coach available. That ain't Buckley.

So either (a) he is deluded enough to think he is a better coach than Mick.
(b) he knows he's not but doesn't care, or think that this amazoniat of players deserve he absolute best chance at 3peating/winning record breaking premierships.

Wouldnl

Apologies For the typos. iPhone pre emptive crap. U get the vibe though. Wish someone would call Eddie on it. The thought they are removing the best coach in the afl for an untried helmet headed muppet. It's inconceivable.

Apologies For the typos. iPhone pre emptive crap. U get the vibe though. Wish someone would call Eddie on it. The thought they are removing the best coach in the afl for an untried helmet headed muppet. It's inconceivable.

No need to apologize, mere fact that you're actually able to type is amazing in itself.

One of the most incoherent, baseless, nothing but hateful tripe OP's I ever seen.

It's ok Jako, we don't love you for your spelling

People fail to realise the circumstances in which this arrangement came to. At the time, Mick's future was very much up in the air, and Buckley was being courted by North Melbourne. Knowing he was ambitious to coach, Eddie orchestrated the move that would ensure Buckley become Mick's successor, rather than coach of North Melbourne.

Buckley obviously has an ambition of coaching, and he could have ditched Collingwood to become a senior coach in 2010, but accepted the offer to wait intil 2012. Why should he have to give up on his chosen career path just because Mick wants to stay on for another couple of years?

And who's to say it wasn't Buckley's influence that brought them a flag last year? As it stands, Buckley has won 1 flag in one season as assistant at the Pies and looks on track for another.

I like the fact Buckley is to takeover.

Cwood has a good list with a great coach, but by choice they are splitting up this successful partnership.

Every other teams chances of winning the 2012 flag has just improved...Thanks Eddie.

You can see why Eddie wants to keep the Tiger legend for another year.

MM not only has the skills but he is a bloke the players look up too and love.

You can't buy love.

Every coach I reckon has skills but it's the love factor that is the difference.

A bloke players will fight for.

If Collingwood win the Premiership this year, I think Mick Malthouse should remain as Head Coach of Collingwood in 2012.

The question I ask is why do non-Collingwood fans care so much about the whole Magpie coaching situation anyway?

Aah because Eddie made it big news when he said he'd sue any club who would try to take him.

Yeah gee I wish our coaches were doing deals with other clubs behind our back like yours :rolleyes:

I dont think I've heard buckley being arrogant once. If you got offered your dream job for a company you loved, would you turn it down because the guy who was cleaning the toilets before you did it really well for the last couple of years? No? I didn't think so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if he moved out of self interest he'd pass this up as he is on a total hiding to nothing.
Malthouse will get all the credit while Collingwood continue to win and Buckley will be held responsible when they start to lose (as inevitably aging sides do).

Most likely, he'll inherit a still performing team that fails to win 2012. They will compete again in 2013 and then be likely to be out of the top four for at least three to five years.

First time coach getting renewed after five years of diminishing returns with Scotty Burns, Tarkyn Lockyer and a long list of (dual) premiership players after his gig?

Best of luck Bucks.

if he moved out of self interest he'd pass this up as he is on a total hiding to nothing.
Malthouse will get all the credit while Collingwood continue to win and Buckley will be held responsible when they start to lose (as inevitably aging sides do).

Most likely, he'll inherit a still performing team that fails to win 2012. They will compete again in 2013 and then be likely to be out of the top four for at least three to five years.

First time coach getting renewed after five years of diminishing returns with Scotty Burns, Tarkyn Lockyer and a long list of (dual) premiership players after his gig?

Best of luck Bucks.

mind you, is he really losing with five years as collingwood's biggest salary?

Aah because Eddie made it big news when he said he'd sue any club who would try to take him.

The interest from non-Collingwood supporters was strong long before McGuire came out and said that. There's been a main board thread or two about the Collingwood coaching situation and/or "what's Mick doing next year?" seemingly every week this year. Why do people care so much? I'm not asking in a "Mind your own business!"/"Don't dare talk about Collingwood!" kind of way, just genuinely curious as to why it's of such constant importance to supporters of other clubs.

"Inevitably ageing"? "Likely to be out of the top four" after 2013? I don't think people realise just how young the Collingwood list is. The only clubs with a younger list than Collingwood in 2011 are Gold Coast, Melbourne, Richmond, North Melbourne, West Coast and Adelaide, and the Pies just won the Premiership last year. I think these young/up-and-coming clubs (plus everyone else) will still have a powerful Collingwood side to deal with for a fair number of years yet.

Based on the current Collingwood playing list, here's what the Magpies might look like in 2016, excluding anyone who'll be over 30 by then:

B: Alan Toovey - Nathan J. Brown - Tyson Goldsack
HB: Harry O'Brien - Ben Reid - Simon Buckley
C: Steele Sidebottom - Sharrod Wellingham - Dayne Beams
HF: Brent Macaffer - Travis Cloke - Alexander Fasolo
F: Daniel Farmer - Chris Dawes - Jarryd Blair
R: John Ceglar - Scott Pendlebury - Dale Thomas
I: John McCarthy - Luke Rounds - Tom Young - Jarrod Witts

14 Premiership players there ;) Other Premiership heroes like Alan Didak, Nick Maxwell, Dane Swan, Luke Ball and Heath Shaw could all realistically still be playing in five years too.

The interest from non-Collingwood supporters was strong long before McGuire came out and said that. There's been a main board thread or two about the Collingwood coaching situation and/or "what's Mick doing next year?" seemingly every week this year. Why do people care so much? I'm not asking in a "Mind your own business!"/"Don't dare talk about Collingwood!" kind of way, just genuinely curious as to why it's of such constant importance to supporters of other clubs.

I'm interested in this interesting new BF obsession as well. Is it because he's the best coach? Because two years ago people here weren't referring to him that way. They were saying he was past it, stubborn, too set in his ways, could only take teams to finals but no further, gifted premierships in WA, 15 years without a flag, geriatric etc.

Is it because Buckley is an untried inexperienced coach? Well two years ago at least one club was actively courting him for their senior coaching position even then. He has since been involved in a premiership campaign, something he hadn't done to that point, and spent two years under the aforementioned "best" coach, no less.

Personally I actually do hope he coaches on, I'd like to see him get the record, but before 2010 opposition fans (and even plenty of Collingwood fans) were calling for his head for the best part of a decade even as we made 6 finals series and 2 grand finals in 8 seasons.

I'm pretty confident there are enough good people at Collingwood to ensure the continued success of the club well into this decade. If Malthouse wishes, he can stay and be a part of it, and he will be well looked after. If he doesn't, I'm sure something can be worked out.

I am actually looking forward to Buckley coaching as I am sure he has the capability of ruining a premiership team quicker than Voss. Let's face it if the pies win this season he can only take them backwards.

^ This, i also have money riding on the fact that he will be the first coach sacked out of the Buckley/Hird/Voss trio :p :D :thumbsu:

Could be option C) OP...

Buckley could actually BE a better coach? You think it's a coincidence that we win the flag the year Nathan Buckley comes back to the club and takes over the forward line? The area of the ground we revolutionised?

All of a sudden this year, while winning games through sheer quality of players, we don't look as good during games as we actually did last year, yet we seem to be able to shut teams down, and break their game plan apart without actually properly implementing our own?

Sounds like the work of a good opposition coach to me, oh wait, who's that this year? Nathan Buckley.

I am actually looking forward to Buckley coaching as I am sure he has the capability of ruining a premiership team quicker than Voss. Let's face it if the pies win this season he can only take them backwards.

It might look that way but it would be a logical fallacy because there's no guarantee that Malthouse would win a third premiership in a row. In fact, historically, it's very hard to do a three-peat. If they don't win a third flag (assuming they actually win a 2nd this year), it could be just as much due to the players being less hungry or being complacent. That could easily happen under Malthouse too - he's not the messiah, you know. He's a damn good coach, but we shouldn't be assuming that he can perform miracles. Buckley's performance needs to be judged on various factors, not just comparison with Malthouse. The Pies will have to come down at some stage.

The deal was done before we were good. So its all fair. I wouldnt mind if nathan stepped down and said ill let mick have another year. Like at the end of the day nathans gunna make bog loads of cash. his like not even 40 and will probably end up coaching for 20+ years

Remove this Banner Ad

The arrogance and balls of one Nathan Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back