The Big Alberton FL Issue Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Yarram to forfeit

They have been looking into seperating the league as all but three clubs voted to remove wonthaggi from the comp, however the VCFL won't support the new league and that is the sticking point.

The VCFL have been weak in not standing up a making a decision and resolving the issue by either supporting a restructure of the alberton footy league or by assisting Wonthaggi find a suitable league to move into.

What pussies. Stand up and have a crack. Nothing better in a David v Goliath battle when the little bloke gets up. Yarram = a club with no heart.

If wonthaggi leave the same thing will happen in 2 years when Korumburra and Phillip Island play off in all 4 GF's. The little towns will want them out cos they are too powerful.

If wonthaggi leave the same thing will happen in 2 years when Korumburra and Phillip Island play off in all 4 GF's. The little towns will want them out cos they are too powerful.

Exactly, that is why all the ORIGINAL alberton clubs want the league to return to its former status. There was never anything wrong with the alberton league prior to the bass valley league going **** up. The original bass clubs were let in under the guise of a 12 month trial by the VCFL, i dont seem to recall the clubs ever getting a vote after that time.

i totally agree with timid tiger. pretty shit by yarram. i would be ashamed to be at a club who forfeits a game because the opposition is too good, because in the end that's what it really is. they don't think they can win so they would rather not play.

i totally agree with timid tiger. pretty shit by yarram. i would be ashamed to be at a club who forfeits a game because the opposition is too good, because in the end that's what it really is. they don't think they can win so they would rather not play.

Yarram forfeiting has absolutely nothing to do with them being worried about Wonthaggi beating them this weekend and everything to do with most clubs concerns about vanishing into thin air if Wonthaggi continue in the league. I think Yarram have shown plenty of balls to forfeit as the VCFL has constantly threatened to fine teams who forfeit against the power and Wonthaggi themselves have threatened to take action against clubs that forfeit against them. Hopefully Yarrams stance (others will follow as well) will force the VCFL into action as they are the ones who screwed up this once good comp.

yarram footy club is as weak as piss! 10 years ago, when Traralgon footy club left the V.F.L., everyone was up in arms about them being too strong and too financial. Predictably they won 3 flags in a row with probably only 1 or 2 losses over that period. But eventually they came back to the field. Just like Bairnsdale did when they left and went back to the east gippy league, just like Churchill did when they left and went back to the north gippy league. Maffra will be the next team to fall back to the field because its starting to happen now. History says wonthaggi wont dominate forever, theres too many examples of this, and the challenge is up to all the other clubs in the Alberton league to get to wonthaggis level.

yarram footy club is as weak as piss! 10 years ago, when Traralgon footy club left the V.F.L., everyone was up in arms about them being too strong and too financial. Predictably they won 3 flags in a row with probably only 1 or 2 losses over that period. But eventually they came back to the field. Just like Bairnsdale did when they left and went back to the east gippy league, just like Churchill did when they left and went back to the north gippy league. Maffra will be the next team to fall back to the field because its starting to happen now. History says wonthaggi wont dominate forever, theres too many examples of this, and the challenge is up to all the other clubs in the Alberton league to get to wonthaggis level.
Couldnt agree more. All clubs will at some stage be disadvantaged by something be it size, location or whatever. No one dominates for ever, its up to the other clubs to pull their fingers out. Theres heaps of tiny towns around with good footy clubs and they havent always been strong. Perhaps they stopped whining and just has a crack

Exactly. I've been watching. playing and commentating footy in Gippsland on and off for 20 years. There always seems to be a whole lot of whingeing and not a whole lot of action from many clubs about this sort of thing, and I seem to recall that Yarram have always been a club that doesn't like to try to match it with the big boys. I've heard them squeal like stuck pigs about this sort of shit before, so it doesn't surprise me they are doing this. I remember when I first moved up that way that there were moves to get them to go across to North Gippy and they bitched the house down.

Clubs like Maffra, Catani and Yinnar have shown that you may not always be a power club with a shitload of resources but if you work hard you can get people to come to your club and enjoy success.

if you recall, they split traralgon into two & that's what stopped them. wonthaggi shouldn't have gone there in the first place.
it's another vcfl stuff up...hell, they tried to put maffra & sale in the mid gippy when they disbanded the premier division.:)

Thats fair enough too, I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Traralgon, and Bairnsdale came back to the lower league the pressure was on the other clubs to step up and compete. There are a lot of people that still resent Bairnsdale for dropping down a league and many people strongly involved in the Bairnsdale footy club this it is a disgrace that they did drop down.

What will happen when clubs start dropping down to lower leagues to be successful and it causes other clubs to fold because if this precedent continues it will happen.

The other issue was that when Traralgon and Bairnsdale were in the higher leagues they weren't strong clubs as the Wonthaggi Blues and Rovers were.

What I don't understand is that why people aren't getting on Wonthaggi's case for not having a crack and trying their hand in the higher league. What is stopping them from being a strong club in the WGLFL??

Yarram forfeiting has absolutely nothing to do with them being worried about Wonthaggi beating them this weekend and everything to do with most clubs concerns about vanishing into thin air if Wonthaggi continue in the league.

so your saying if wonthaggi continue in the alberton league that 13 teams will vanish into thin air? what a load of shit. if hypothetically wonthaggi won every game for 5 years, the worst that would happen would be that whoever plays wonthaggi would lose every week. doesn't mean your club will vanish. yarram are choosing to lose, there's no two ways about it. and any club who follows yarrams lead obviously don't have any knackers either. everyone has played in shit sides that get flogged by 20 goals every week. it's not that fun but i'd rather do that than not even show up. piss weak

so your saying if wonthaggi continue in the alberton league that 13 teams will vanish into thin air? what a load of shit. if hypothetically wonthaggi won every game for 5 years, the worst that would happen would be that whoever plays wonthaggi would lose every week. doesn't mean your club will vanish. yarram are choosing to lose, there's no two ways about it. and any club who follows yarrams lead obviously don't have any knackers either. everyone has played in shit sides that get flogged by 20 goals every week. it's not that fun but i'd rather do that than not even show up. piss weak

I think your missing my point from previous posts. Clubs are having to spend more $$$ than they can otherwise afford in an effort to keep up and be competitive.The smaller clubs will be able to have a crack and spend a bit from time to time but no clubs have the resources like Wonthaggi to consistently do it. Foster reckoned they were financially strong enough and big enough to compete but after a couple of years they are nearly buggered and will struggle to win a game. I wasnt saying all 13 clubs will fold but the majority of the original alberton clubs are struggling in various ways.

if you recall, they split traralgon into two & that's what stopped them. wonthaggi shouldn't have gone there in the first place.
it's another vcfl stuff up...hell, they tried to put maffra & sale in the mid gippy when they disbanded the premier division.:)

split traralgon into two? what are you on about? in '98 they smashed leongatha , in 99 and 2000 they beat moe. since then they have only been in one granny and that was in 2005 when they upset maffra.
And as for your comment on the vcfl trying to put sale and maffra in the mid gippy, it was north gippy and they proposed this because they were trying to form a league with the existing gippsland latrobe clubs with pakenham, roc and beaconsfield thrown in.

Dead right - they want to go back to their little league they had 10 years ago...

Some other points -Phillip Island the next powerhouse down this way, tons of juniors coming thru,

Yarram didnt turn up today - if I was a Yarram player I would quit the club, what's wrong with battling away (they are reigning prems after all...

Alberton would give Ellinbank a touch up...

Yarram's statement included words to the effect of 'the small clubs cant compete with the might of Wonthaggi' conveniently leaving out the fact they were able to compete last year (1s, 3rds, 4ths all beat Wonthaggi)...

Where does Wonthaggi go? There's not a simple solution folks...

Dead right - they want to go back to their little league they had 10 years ago...

Some other points -Phillip Island the next powerhouse down this way, tons of juniors coming thru,

Yarram didnt turn up today - if I was a Yarram player I would quit the club, what's wrong with battling away (they are reigning prems after all...

Alberton would give Ellinbank a touch up...

Yarram's statement included words to the effect of 'the small clubs cant compete with the might of Wonthaggi' conveniently leaving out the fact they were able to compete last year (1s, 3rds, 4ths all beat Wonthaggi)...

Where does Wonthaggi go? There's not a simple solution folks...

no way would alberton give ellinbank a touch up .
there are plenty of average x ellinbank players killing them at the moment

So the forfeit happened. Does anyone know what happens now? Is it the VCFL or the Alberton League that steps in and does the fining etc?

Wonthaggi have DWWWW this week and then Fishy and Toora in the few weeks after that, which are probably the most likely clubs to forfeit. Toora however plays them at Toora whereas the others all play at wonthaggi. That means Toora would be losing a week of gate/bar/canteen receipts if they forfeited, that would be crazy for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Big Alberton FL Issue Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back