The BigFooty Liverpool Army - Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WorldCup2022OZ;20853459[B said:
]We need a Mascherano replacement ASAP more then anything IMO. Someone physical that is a ball winner. [/B]

We should focus on getting either Mertesacker or Cahill, Lassana Diarra or Mvila, Ashley Young and Charlie Adam (plus Marveuax on a free). Another striker would be nice if finances allow. Pretty confident that we will be in the top 3 spots if we were to sign the aforementioned players (and sell the usual suspects off). I think we have LB covered with Robinson/Johnson and possibly Kelly. Insua is gone.

I just don't see how we are going to spend another 40 mill on a striker (that's what Aguero would cost). Hell, I have heard rumors that Chelsea will offer Torres as a swap to Atletico for Aguero. That's more likely then us signing Aguero.

Disagree.... I am more than satisfied with Lucas and Spearing as our DM's for many years if they keep progressing how they have.

I think we have LB covered with Robinson/Johnson and possibly Kelly. Insua is gone.

Really though? Relying on a guy that has played a little over 2 games and we really can't say how successful he will be yet, and a guy made for RB, that defensively has been sound on that side, but offers us nothing going forward from the left side? Natural proven LB for me.

LB still number 1 priority, with or without the continued good performances of Robinson. Then wingers, then CM then CB.

lol so LB is covered because Robinson has impressed in 2 games.

We were saying Insua would be our left back for 10 years when he was playing good in his first couple of games.

Just a situation here, if we we're to splash out 30 million on getting a gun like Sanchez here, how many other players do you reckon we'd buy?

Would say Sanchez, Adam, Enrique, Marveoux and Wickham be reasonable?

Disagree.... I am more than satisfied with Lucas and Spearing as our DM's for many years if they keep progressing how they have.

I am happy with their performances this season also. Don't you want a tough tackling / physically imposing DMF who is a ball winner though? Someone who can dominate midfield? Lucas & Spearing just don't have the game to do that.

I envisage that a Meireles / Diarra partnership would realise similar results to the Alonso / Mascherano partnership.

We were saying Insua would be our left back for 10 years when he was playing good in his first couple of games.

Between Glen Johson, Martin Kelly & Robinson I'd say that is a pretty solid basis at LB. I just think we desperately need a top quality CB, 1/2 top quality wingers and a top quality DMF more then a LB. It would be nice if we could have them all of course :)

Johnson is a right back
Kelly is a right back/centre back
Robinson is young
Aurelio is injured
Insua isn't good enough to start

LB is possibly our biggest weakness I reckon, followed by wing and then centre back.

Disagree, we must sign a left back, and a quality one at that, the injuries to Johnson, Kelly and Aurelio show we have to sign one. I dont want to see Agger or Wilson at left back next season.

However, it all comes down to how much we have to spend, signing taiwo would be great but looks like AC have that one in the bag

Oscar Wendt is unproven at the top level however I like the look of him and if we don't have a massive kitty, he would be a good option on a free.

Another option is bring warnock back for a couple of seasons, then if Robinson is ready he gets the gig, if not we sign a young player.

I'd love to sign coentrao who I rate in the top 5 left backs in the world, would set us up long term and he can also play left wing, but the price is just too much

I am not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I was saying we definitely need someone for LB because Robinson is unproven and Johnson isn't really anything more than a temporary fit for it.

I am happy with their performances this season also. Don't you want a tough tackling / physically imposing DMF who is a ball winner though? Someone who can dominate midfield? Lucas & Spearing just don't have the game to do that.

I envisage that a Meireles / Diarra partnership would realise similar results to the Alonso / Mascherano partnership.

I'm not fully sold on Meireles myself. He's got some impressive qualities. Just taking a look at goal highlights from his season is evidence of that. But I really don't see him having the creative side that a, say, Aquilani has. We need a super creative guy playing in CM or AM, and I don't see Raul as that player.

Between Glen Johson, Martin Kelly & Robinson I'd say that is a pretty solid basis at LB. I just think we desperately need a top quality CB, 1/2 top quality wingers and a top quality DMF more then a LB. It would be nice if we could have them all of course :)

The fact is we currently have 3 CB's to fill that right CB position. None are outstanding, but 2 can put in a shift every so often. Again not ideal, but our cover is ok. Then we have a number of unproven youngsters for CB. Then on top of that, Kelly.

At LB we have 1 player, a RB, who can put in a shift every so often - Johnson. He is ok there, but not ideal. Certainly not a natural there. Apart from that we have an unproven youngster who could fill that position.

So if I was looking at our squad I would look and see 0 LB's (Aurelio doesn't count because he can only play 10 mins before breaking down). And we are going to be so far away from top four next season if we don't fill that spot. Its not just Kenny that has helped us climb back up the table, but also all of the top half of the table teams playing rubbish and dropping points when they shouldn't be. I don't think we will be as lucky next season.

I'm not fully sold on Meireles myself. He's got some impressive qualities. Just taking a look at goal highlights from his season is evidence of that. But I really don't see him having the creative side that a, say, Aquilani has. We need a super creative guy playing in CM or AM, and I don't see Raul as that player.

Seriously? He's a wonderful link up player, does loads of good work outside the box

He can provide almost as much if not more than Aquaman when it comes to the English game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously? He's a wonderful link up player, does loads of good work outside the box

He can provide almost as much if not more than Aquaman when it comes to the English game

I hope Aquilani can come back to Liverpool and prove you wrong. I think so many Liverpool fans underestimate is ability, just because he was brought in as a direct replacement for Alonso. He has so much creativity. Its just a shame that when he was here, the players around him were not on the same page....or reading the same book for that matter. Not saying he's the perfect player, but for what it would cost to have him at Liverpool (nothing), Its the best option given how much we would pay to bring in someone of his quality when that money could be used elsewhere.

Whether you agree with me on Aqua, I think we all agree we need more competition for those CM spots.

Sure they've been a good pairing of late, but ask yourself this, are they a good enough pairing for a Champions League winning side? We are Liverpool FC, we should be aiming to be the best team in Europe again, and neither of those 2 players are good enough to be in a side deserving of that title. We need to be aiming for better than good now.

Sure they've been a good pairing of late, but ask yourself this, are they a good enough pairing for a Champions League winning side? We are Liverpool FC, we should be aiming to be the best team in Europe again, and neither of those 2 players are good enough to be in a side deserving of that title. We need to be aiming for better than good now.

Spearing is only a backup, Gerrard is usually partnering Lucas in midfield.

And yes, I believe Lucas is good enough for champions league football with us, he is a big game player and the CL is a big tournament.

Doesn't anyone here think we desperately need a tough tackling ball winning DMF? We just don't have one currently; Lucas never "dominates" the midfield.

We need Lucas and Spearing to be "squad" players and run with Merieles/Gerrard and a top quality DMF.
I still believe we should sell Lucas. He's improving, but he's not world class and never will be. He's young enough to command a good market price. Believe it or not, Steven Gerrard is more than capable of being that ball-winning midfielder when he's not playing the in-behind role. I favour Liverpool going back to mostly playing the 4-4-2. Aquilani wasn't suited to the 4-2-3-1, but he could be very useful in the 4-4-2 and would compete with Mereiles for a CM position. Get him back.

The other player I favour selling is Johnson. Good offensively, but at times his defensive abilities are woeful. He's not a natural left-sided player and he pretty much lost his RB position to Kelly. Plus Carragher does really well there if necessary. Johnson might still have decent market value. As for LB, either get Insua back or buy a new one.

Sorry but I think he is first team material and reckon he should be our DM next season and Spearing as his number 2.. Spearing still has improvement in him and Lucas IMO has been outstanding this season.. He has shown he can play that role and break up attacks.. He has done it all year.. I hope they reward him by sticking with him in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back