The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. So this.

Another BR brain fart.
Didn't understand it. Lovren is naturally a LCB and Can has been playing as a RCB and gone so well there. Both were caught out a few times on the weekend. Methinks the reason he did it is so when Can moves to midfield Lovren can slot into RCB, but still not a smart decision, should just put Kolo in when Can goes to midfield

This. So this.

Another BR brain fart.

Didn't understand it. Lovren is naturally a LCB and Can has been playing as a RCB and gone so well there. Both were caught out a few times on the weekend. Methinks the reason he did it is so when Can moves to midfield Lovren can slot into RCB, but still not a smart decision, should just put Kolo in when Can goes to midfield

Was actually a smart tactical move by Rogers so Lovren didn't get exposed by Clyne's pace on the left.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ction-key-to-liverpool-victory-at-southampton

Clyne
Nathaniel Clyne was clearly a player Rodgers knew posed a threat; he scored in the corresponding fixture at Anfield on the opening day of the season, enjoying a good performance up against Liverpool's then-new-look defence.

With Sakho sidelined through a hip injury, Rodgers therefore opted to switch Emre Can across to the left of the back three, perhaps realising that incoming Dejan Lovren is not as dynamic and struggles when dragged into wide areas.

Playing Can on the left provided the Liverpool team with someone who is more comfortable when moved out wide, while playing Lazar Markovic ahead of Moreno was perhaps an attempt by Rodgers to pin back the Southampton danger man.

It didn't quite work, though, for Markovic in the first 45, attempting three take-ons but successful with just one (per Squawka). Instead it was Clyne who pushed Markovic back and exploited the new-look Liverpool left-hand side.

The introduction of Moreno at half-time nullified the threat of Clyne, with the Spaniard playing much closer to Can and blocking the space out wide. His naturally more defensive game was key in Liverpool's defensive rearguard.

As shown in the comparison below, from Statszone, Clyne's first-half and second-half output were markedly different:
94d9d18963224148e1086c90e5cb3da9_crop_exact.jpg

So not quite a brain fart after all.

I thought Lovren had done quite well recently coming off the bench but he wasnt super convincing in that back three against Southampton. Sure we kept a clean sheet but there were a couple of times where he was quite poor.

The first was early on when Skrtel goes across to deal with a lobbed ball. Can is there too so some blame could be on Skrtel for going across but the three have to move together. Skrtel comes across leaving a huge gap for midfield runners to move into.

Lovren hasnt been awake to it and come across to fill the hole. Skrtel probably shouldnt go in the first place as the flighted ball in was much closer to Can and he should have let Can deal with it.

In the end Skrtel doesnt win the header and its knocked into the space. Poor from Skrtel but if Lovren is reading the play and is better positionally then he is there to clean up the header. But he is miles away leading to Djruric running through and Allen having to bring him down which looked for me a penalty!

The second time was a long ball played diagonally over his head. He looks totally calm about it until he turns and realises there is a Saints player behind him which he didnt know was there. That almost led to disaster. His awareness was poor.

Just really not sure he will make it at the top level. If Can has to go into midfield id much rather see Skrtel, Sakho and Toure who is proven at the top level.

Was just watching Suarez in our 12-13 season review.

What a player. Shame he left. Another thought was about Jonjo. Did we really need to sell him? He has done well at Swansea, he's pretty combative, scores goals. Probably better than Joe Allen, he would be a decent squad player for us. I wasnt overly bothered when he was sold. I was happy to keep him but not bothered if he left. Still watching some of his work in that season review and how he has played since moving to Swansea makes you think it might have been better to keep him around.

Was just watching Suarez in our 12-13 season review.

What a player. Shame he left. Another thought was about Jonjo. Did we really need to sell him? He has done well at Swansea, he's pretty combative, scores goals. Probably better than Joe Allen, he would be a decent squad player for us. I wasnt overly bothered when he was sold. I was happy to keep him but not bothered if he left. Still watching some of his work in that season review and how he has played since moving to Swansea makes you think it might have been better to keep him around.

I'm not sure you want his volatile output.

For every great thing he does, he also does a stupid thing.

Better off without him IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Lovren had done quite well recently coming off the bench but he wasnt super convincing in that back three against Southampton. Sure we kept a clean sheet but there were a couple of times where he was quite poor.

The first was early on when Skrtel goes across to deal with a lobbed ball. Can is there too so some blame could be on Skrtel for going across but the three have to move together. Skrtel comes across leaving a huge gap for midfield runners to move into.

Lovren hasnt been awake to it and come across to fill the hole. Skrtel probably shouldnt go in the first place as the flighted ball in was much closer to Can and he should have let Can deal with it.

In the end Skrtel doesnt win the header and its knocked into the space. Poor from Skrtel but if Lovren is reading the play and is better positionally then he is there to clean up the header. But he is miles away leading to Djruric running through and Allen having to bring him down which looked for me a penalty!

The second time was a long ball played diagonally over his head. He looks totally calm about it until he turns and realises there is a Saints player behind him which he didnt know was there. That almost led to disaster. His awareness was poor.

Just really not sure he will make it at the top level. If Can has to go into midfield id much rather see Skrtel, Sakho and Toure who is proven at the top level.

Great analysis on Lovren. He is all too often guilty of ball watching and leaves too much space between him and the rest of the defense. Basic tenets of defending.

Soton should have gotten a penalty for Allen ' s challenge but we were due some luck with a horror run this season with refs.

Great analysis on Lovren. He is all too often guilty of ball watching and leaves too much space between him and the rest of the defense. Basic tenets of defending.

Soton should have gotten a penalty for Allen ' s challenge but we were due some luck with a horror run this season with refs.
Yeah he just lacks maybe the real game intelligence for a top shelf central defender. He just seems aloof sometimes, nonchalant if you will. Defenders need to be on their toes at all times. A striker can be ball watching, make a mistake and it's fine, we're not punished. A defender does it, you're down 1-0.

Skrtel is always proactive. Sakho is a terrific defender, always aware, looking around, seeing where people are, attackers and fellow teammates. Even Can is very active and he isnt even a defender.

Lovren just has too many lapses of concentration and they can cost you. If we are sticking with this back three going forward. Can/Skrtel/Sakho is first choice and first cab off the rank for me is Toure, not Lovren.

Im no hating on him either, I want him to make it as a Liverpool player but I just dont see it.

What is also annoying, is that for whatever reason, BR didnt rate Agger and I thought he had been patchy, particularly in the central partnership with Skrtel. But this new formation would have suited Agger perfectly. He reads the game so well, fantastic on the ball, excellent passer of the football. Smart and strong when he needs to be. Can bring the ball forward.

He would be the Can in the current setup but with more experience and a better all round defender. Which would in turn release the beast to midfield. Shame we sold him and spunked 20 million on Lovren. But then I dont think Rodgers ever thought he would be playing three at the back.

What is everyone's thoughts on Migs?

More Cech rumours this week in the papers. Mignolet has been back to his best and been one of our best players in our recent turnaround. He's been nothing short of brilliant really. But Cech is in the top 5 GK's in the world.

In fact you would have Courtois, DDG, Neuer and then probably Cech.

If he wanted to come, it would be hard to turn down wouldnt it.

City have 2 extra days rest than us and we have to fly to Turkey and back. I really hope we rest some players for this one. This game should be on Monday night (UK).

Besiktas may be missing players - Ismail Köybasi, Tolga Zengin, Alexander Milosevic and Cenk Tosun are all injured. Ersan Gülüm and Ramon are suspended (both defenders).

Most likely line up : Mignolet; Lovren, Skrtel, Can; Ibe, Allen, Henderson, Moreno; Lallana, Sterling; Sturridge.

However expect some surprises from BR like he did on Sunday vs Southampton :)

City do have a couple of days extra rest but we at least have home ground advantage.

Also the Shankly Gates were taken down today and placed into storage while the continued redevelopment work goes on. They will obviously be put back up once the new stand is complete.

What is also annoying, is that for whatever reason, BR didnt rate Agger and I thought he had been patchy, particularly in the central partnership with Skrtel. But this new formation would have suited Agger perfectly. He reads the game so well, fantastic on the ball, excellent passer of the football. Smart and strong when he needs to be. Can bring the ball forward.

He would be the Can in the current setup but with more experience and a better all round defender. Which would in turn release the beast to midfield. Shame we sold him and spunked 20 million on Lovren. But then I dont think Rodgers ever thought he would be playing three at the back.

The thing is that Agger and Sakho are both left-sided CBs so if you were to play both in a back three and assuming that Skrtel is best in the middle of the three then one of Sakho or Agger would have to play out of position as the right CB. That's not to say that it definitely would not work, but I doubt that it would have us any better off than we are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back