The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The best part about this goal was the Man City fans incorrectly having an absolute meltdown about Trent handballing even though their own player literally handled deliberately moments earlier.

Moomba still probably whinges about this

I agree. Milly, Hendo, Fab. All absolute legends and pillars of a successful team. I always expected Milner to go, he was 37 after all.

But Hendo/Fab at the same time is a bit of a shock. I do worry about continuity and leadership in midfield. Thiago's our only elder statesmen now and while a world class footballer his injury record is poor and won't be on the park enough to be a true leader.

My expectation is pretty quickly we sign Lavia (that seems almost done) and another first team ready top class #6 around 27-28 who can give us 5-6 years of top notch service.

I am worried if our mid ends up being Thiago and a bunch of youngsters (next oldest would be Mac at 24!).
It had to happen. All Liverpools problems (save the forwards injuries) were from midfield last year. Hendo/Fab/Milner were simply not creating anything going forward and didn't have the legs to help out the defence. Liverpool's midfield was depressing last year. It was horrendous.

A lot depends on what the plans for TAA are IMO. I am excited about this year. Liverpool have a lot less games remember so the mids will have a much lower load. And this time they are fit. And young.

MacAlister, Szoboszlai, Thiago, Bajcetic, Jones, Elliott and maybe TAA + one or two more.

Gutted to lose both Hendo and Fab. Went through this already with Bobby and Milly.
Good business the 40mil for Fab though. Hendo deserves his payday. Wish all our departures the best.

Looking forward to see the replacements. Lavia looks almost done, another quality CB would be nice, and another experienced CM/CDM.

I'd love to get Kimmich. Quality player.
Need his experience and his flexibility on the right and midfield with TAA. Can't see it happening though.

Fab was the best DM I've seen at Liverpool, his legs are gone and to even get 40 mil outta him is incredible, good luck to his semi retirement

Getting 50+ mil out of Hendo and Fab is 50 mil more than we thought we were ever getting, we need to invest it wisely
Fabinho or Mascherano? It's close.

Taller and better on the ball. In a purely defensive sense, Masch was better.

Masch played in a more defensive setup under Rafa, Fab plays in a crazy open one where he often had to fight fires on his own and did it well in his prime

Also we're doing that whole FM thing where you bid 1 mil more each bid until maybe it's accepted

Masch played in a more defensive setup under Rafa, Fab plays in a crazy open one where he often had to fight fires on his own and did it well in his prime

Also we're doing that whole FM thing where you bid 1 mil more each bid until maybe it's accepted

Bid rejected.

Who? Never played outside of Brazil (I’ve seen Fluminese live a few years ago, the standard is not that great) and hasn’t had a goal or an assist this season (3 goals for his career).

Would most likely be loaned out if true so doesn’t do anything to help current MF issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who? Never played outside of Brazil (I’ve seen Fluminese live a few years ago, the standard is not that great) and hasn’t had a goal or an assist this season (3 goals for his career).

Would most likely be loaned out if true so doesn’t do anything to help current MF issue.

He’s a defensive midfielder don’t think they are bothered by his assist or goal record given that’s not his role

The fee floated is 30 mill and he’s 22.. 0 chance we buy him only to loan him out

I don’t know the answer to this but how many players have gone straight from Brazilian league to EPL and impacted immediately?
Martinelli, Jesus, Richarlison, Joao Pedro, Willian currently.

For us Lucas Leiva from Gremio sticks out in the memory.

FSG aren't behaving out of character though, are they?

They don't have a mature CDM target identified, and they're not going to roll over on valuation. This was always the risk of so quickly cashing in on Fab and Hendo.

I'm pretty comfortable with ruling out a 2023-24 Premier League Title for us.

FSG aren't behaving out of character though, are they?

They don't have a mature CDM target identified, and they're not going to roll over on valuation. This was always the risk of so quickly cashing in on Fab and Hendo.

I'm pretty comfortable with ruling out a 2023-24 Premier League Title for us.

Of course a title is out of the question unless we bring in Lavia plus a top class #6 ready to go straight into the first team and be a leader. We've gone from having the same team for 5 years and being too old in midfield to the exact opposite. At the moment if Thiago isn't on the field (that will happen many times this season) Mac is going to be our most experienced player - at 24.

Surely we can afford a big name #6 mid signing by selling Kelleher (30m) and Big Nat (10m).

Of course a title is out of the question unless we bring in Lavia plus a top class #6 ready to go straight into the first team and be a leader. We've gone from having the same team for 5 years and being too old in midfield to the exact opposite. At the moment if Thiago isn't on the field (that will happen many times this season) Mac is going to be our most experienced player - at 24.

Surely we can afford a big name #6 mid signing by selling Kelleher (30m) and Big Nat (10m).

Can Liverpool afford the money to spend on a mature, world class CDM? Yes.

Will they spend that money in this transfer window without an obvious and already identified target? We all know the answer to this one. It would be OUT of character for them to spend that money this transfer window.

Can Liverpool afford the money to spend on a mature, world class CDM? Yes.

Will they spend that money in this transfer window without an obvious and already identified target? We all know the answer to this one. It would be OUT of character for them to spend that money this transfer window.

If it were to happen I'd expect it to be one of those out of nowhere signings. I can only assume our numbers guys behind the scenes have someone in mind. Even Jurg said at one of his pressers that we were working on solutions for a few mids (one of those obviously is Lavia).

I just cannot see us going into the season with the following midfield options:

Lavia (19)
Bajcetic (18)
Jones (22)
Elliot (20)
Mac (24)
Soz (22)
Thiago (32)
Morton (20)

Out of that group Thiago's a crock. Soz/Ellliott aren't really traditional midfielders.

An experienced #6 ready to start right away is almost a must.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back