The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

If Alisson leaving is true?

You have to ask questions as to why?

Why are we letting the best goalkeeper on the planet (by some distance IMO) leave, right in the middle of his prime when he has three years left on his deal.

What is actually going on??

This is my take on the situation.

Alison has informed the club behind the scenes that he wants to move on in 2026 to try something different. That would be understandable for me. By that stage he would have completed 8 years service as #1 for us. Won every trophy there is to win and his best years would be behind him.

Edwards & Co have identified Maradashvilli as Allison's successor. Eventually, everyone has to be replaced - nobody is bigger than the club. Better off be prepared for Allison's eventual departure than having to scramble to find a new # keeper. Buy Maradashvilli at a knock down price of 25m. Loan him back to Valencia for this season - he's their clear first choice. Also won't go on this season's PSR figures.

Next season, we sell Kelleher in the summer window. Promote a youf keeper to third choice. Maradashvilli comes in as 2nd choice to Allison, learns the trade off him.

Then, in summer of 2026 Allison departs with the best wishes of the club. Transfer fee around the 50-60m range. Maradashvilli becomes #1, we sign a new backup keeper plus the promoted youf keeper from the previous season as #3 keeper.

If it's true it is all a long term plan to replace Allison which I am ok with.

It doesn't make sense that we are replacing Kelleher with Maradashvilli as #2 as the plan is to loan Maradashvilli this season by all reports. So the only scenario that makes logical sense to me is the above scenario I propose.

This is my take on the situation.

Alison has informed the club behind the scenes that he wants to move on in 2026 to try something different. That would be understandable for me. By that stage he would have completed 8 years service as #1 for us. Won every trophy there is to win and his best years would be behind him.

Edwards & Co have identified Maradashvilli as Allison's successor. Eventually, everyone has to be replaced - nobody is bigger than the club. Better off be prepared for Allison's eventual departure than having to scramble to find a new # keeper. Buy Maradashvilli at a knock down price of 25m. Loan him back to Valencia for this season - he's their clear first choice. Also won't go on this season's PSR figures.

Next season, we sell Kelleher in the summer window. Promote a youf keeper to third choice. Maradashvilli comes in as 2nd choice to Allison, learns the trade off him.

Then, in summer of 2026 Allison departs with the best wishes of the club. Transfer fee around the 50-60m range. Maradashvilli becomes #1, we sign a new backup keeper plus the promoted youf keeper from the previous season as #3 keeper.

If it's true it is all a long term plan to replace Allison which I am ok with.

It doesn't make sense that we are replacing Kelleher with Maradashvilli as #2 as the plan is to loan Maradashvilli this season by all reports. So the only scenario that makes logical sense to me is the above scenario I propose.
Speaking on the Walk on Podcast, Pearce elaborated on Liverpool’s plans with Mamardashvili and why the club feel they are getting a bargain transfer by signing the 23-year-old.

“From the people I’ve spoken to, the idea that Alisson has suddenly given Liverpool notice that he intends to move, either in 2025 or 2026, I’ve been told isn’t the case,” Pearce said.

“It has been explained to me as more long-term succession planning.

“That Liverpool rate this guy incredibly highly and they think he’s available on the market for a price that undervalues him.

“They think it is a good long-term investment and that they would try to loan him out and bring him in at a later point.”

Pearce also noted Kelleher’s contract situation, with the Irishman’s deal up in 2026 and, with no transfer in the offing as it stands, he is unlikely to extend as he looks to become a No. 1.

I knew those rumours of Alisson asking to leave were bullshit and thank god!

Speaking on the Walk on Podcast, Pearce elaborated on Liverpool’s plans with Mamardashvili and why the club feel they are getting a bargain transfer by signing the 23-year-old.

“From the people I’ve spoken to, the idea that Alisson has suddenly given Liverpool notice that he intends to move, either in 2025 or 2026, I’ve been told isn’t the case,” Pearce said.

“It has been explained to me as more long-term succession planning.

“That Liverpool rate this guy incredibly highly and they think he’s available on the market for a price that undervalues him.

“They think it is a good long-term investment and that they would try to loan him out and bring him in at a later point.”

Pearce also noted Kelleher’s contract situation, with the Irishman’s deal up in 2026 and, with no transfer in the offing as it stands, he is unlikely to extend as he looks to become a No. 1.

I knew those rumours of Alisson asking to leave were bullshit and thank god!

Nobody expects Ali to leave right now but every player leaves eventually.

26 or 27 would be about the right time to bring a new long term #1 in for me.

Nobody expects Ali to leave right now but every player leaves eventually.

26 or 27 would be about the right time to bring a new long term #1 in for me.
Disagree. Ali is 31.

GK's generally have their prime years from around 30-37 so letting Ali leave right in the middle of his prime would be a really shit idea.

Unless he falls off a cliff I'd hope Ali is still our No.1 in 2029.

Disagree. Ali is 31.

GK's generally have their prime years from around 30-37 so letting Ali leave right in the middle of his prime would be a really shit idea.

Unless he falls off a cliff I'd hope Ali is still our No.1 in 2029.

I've never really bought into the keepers best years are that age range. I would say more 27-35. Similar to outfield players but with a bit more longevity.

Lets be honest, over the last 25 years how many of the top keepers in the world have been 35+? Buffon, Casillas, Neuer, and to a lesser extent Van der sar and Cech are the only ones I can think of. Even Real Madrid turfed Casillas when he was 35. Selling Ali in another 2-3 years is a fine strategy if we have a suitable good replacement ready to go.

I've never really bought into the keepers best years are that age range. I would say more 27-35. Similar to outfield players but with a bit more longevity.

Lets be honest, over the last 25 years how many of the top keepers in the world have been 35+? Buffon, Casillas, Neuer, and to a lesser extent Van der sar and Cech are the only ones I can think of. Even Real Madrid turfed Casillas when he was 35. Selling Ali in another 2-3 years is a fine strategy if we have a suitable good replacement ready to go.
You literally just mentioned 5 or so of the best Gk's in the world over the past 25 years. There is a reason they were so good for so long because they were the best.

Ali is the best.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ali won still be among the best GK's in world football at 35.

VVD, Gakpo and Gravenberch called up for the Netherlands.
Tsimikas called up for Greece.
Salah called up for Egypt.
Szoboszlai called up for Hungary.
Alisson called up for Brazil.
Mac Allister called up for Argentina.
Koumas and Beck called up for Wales.
Endo called up for Japan.
Mamardashvili called up for Georgia.
Bradley called up for Northern Ireland.
Kelleher called up for Ireland.
Jota called up for Portugal.
Konate called up for France.
Diaz called up for Colombia.
Robertson and Doak called up for Scotland.
Calvin Ramsay called up for Scotland U21s.
Alexander-Arnold called up for England.
Quansah, Elliott and Morton called up for England U21s.
Chambers called up for England U20s.
Nyoni and Pinnington called up for England U18s.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You literally just mentioned 5 or so of the best Gk's in the world over the past 25 years. There is a reason they were so good for so long because they were the best.

Ali is the best.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ali won still be among the best GK's in world football at 35.

I named them because they are the exception to the rule. The GKs at the big clubs tend to be in the 25-33 age range and passed that they are moved on. GKs being in their prime post 35 is just media driven nonsense.

Ali is the best.

Of course Ali is the best right now. Can be be the best past 35?

No. The facts are he would not be at his peak standards - nobody beats age. Think of it this way - would the club sign Allison at 35? The answer is no.

If we have the chance to bring in our new Alison at 23-25 in 2-3 seasons time who can give us 8 seasons of top class #1 service we do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bigfooty Liverpool Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back