Mega Thread The Buckley/Malthouse Succession Plan Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: If MM is not head coach next season, Eddie needs to go

Heh, it's like the total opposite of two years ago when every man and his dog was saying Eddie should sack Malthouse or quit the club.

Am I the only one who really doesn't give a shit about the coaching situation?

Mick Malthouse is clearly the best coach in the AFL at the moment and if he wants to continue coaching next season in the top job then he must be allowed to.

If Eddie McGuire is steadfast on promoting Nathan Buckley then he is not putting the best interests of this football club first and should be removed from club president by someone who will.

Mick Malthouse has earned the right to go out on his terms.
Riiight, the man who single handedly - almost - dragged Collingwood out of the poo must make way for a coach who had to be bullied into going for a premiership instead of eternally rebuilding?

Mick is a great coach and deserves all the accolades he gets but as for must be allowed to? Mick is going out on his terms - the terms all three of the main participants agreed to.

You seem to have a short memory here my friend. At the time that contract was entered into Mick had been building for years and years with no premiership in sight. It took Eddie making a stand and FORCING Mick to recruit for a premiership to get missing links together and the results are on the board. The entire football world were calling for Mick and Eddies head on a platter and some of the loudest came right here on this board.

IF Bucks chooses to stand aside and allow Mick to continue for another year or two that's fine but whatever happens I'm happy to allow the participants to come to an agreement either way.

There is no must about it.

You couldn't BE more wrong Peter.

Eddie DID do what was in the best interests of the club, by giving an experienced coach, 2 more years to try and win a flag after being given TEN years to do so without success despite unlimited resources and total control of the football department.

Once no success was achieved after 10 years, Eddie put a plan in place to try and GET some success.

It worked.

Luckily for those of us who DON'T choose to focus on the negative in this particular scenario (yes I see the irony in this coming from me), we understand, Collingwood is only about to get stronger.

Re: Mick Malthouse Asks: What's My Job?

The only people that seem to be obsessed with this issue are non Collingwood people, particularly Carlton and Melbourne supporters and their obsession only serves to de-stabilise their clubs and their coaches. All this talk must be making Bailey and Ratten a little nervous. When you are nervous you second guess yourself and are more likely to make mistatkes.At the same time, Mick Malthouse deliberately doesn't confirm anything as he knows this, and any edge he can get he will use, the man is not stupid.

While everyone other than Collingwood is worrying about this the Magpies are sitting on top of the ladder, one loss by less than a goal, huge percentage and premiership favourites and potentially on their way to back to back premierships. If the odds of back to back in this day and age are huge, and the odds of three in a row even bigger, why wouldn't Collingwood be happy to change coaches next year and replace Mick with Nathan (who has served an intense apprenticeship) who would have a ready made mentor to help him along the way.

Nathan will coach, Mick will mentor and the Pies will increase their chances of a flag next year.

And Now For Something Completely Different. . . Sanity!

The king is dead (almost), long live the king (soon).

Seriously folks a new interview with the same old questions and the same answers.

Chimpanzee: Do you want to leave Collingwood?
Mick: No
Chimpanzee: What about this Director of Coaching job.
Mick: I don't want it to be bullshit, I want it to be meaningful.

Cue main board jabbering of a troop of Collihaters hooting their prayers that it can all come true and Collingwood will be left lamenting lost opportunities.

Nothing new has come to light yet we have people here in our own board calling for Eddies head if he won't bow to outside public pressure.

The outside public know NOTHING about the true situation at Collingwood, the only ones who do are those who have stitched the deal together and are currently steering the good ship Collingwood towards another premiership.

I have no preference either way about who coaches Collingwood but there are apparently others who feel so strongly about it as to call for a coup de'etat in order to enforce their will.

Good luck to them.

Mick deserves our loyalty, he led us to the promised land and may do again this year - Hail Mick!

So does Eddie, he rescued us from the doldrums and turned us from a fallen power into the powerhouse we are now - Hail Eddie!

Not one or the other but in case some of you have forgotten

SIDE BY SIDE

That was a rambling & confusing interview on TFS last night, partly Lyon & Newman's fault, partly Mick's.

The one great point that Mick made last night that underpins everything is that this new role shouldn't be created around Mick & Bucks. If they are going to do it, it needs to be there to assist the footy club going into the future regardless of who is doing the role.

If its being created just for Mick or Bucks personal benefit then it shouldn't happen as in a few years one or both will have moved on & we will be left with a structure that doesn't suit the new personel down the track.

Think of it no differently to how we play our football - structure is all important. If you have a good structure that works - it doesn't matter too much who is doing a particular role within that structure as long as they know the role and can do the job it benefits the team. So if they believe this type of coaching structure is the way forward they should do it with or without Mick.

Mick is all about team benefit and being able to contribute so if he sees that structure as unviable for the CFC he will not want it.

He still wants to coach but if there is a role that he can play that makes the club better he will do it. Just like if you are a midfield ball winner, you want to do what you are good at, but if you can go to the back pocket & shut someone down for the benefit of the team you do it.

No one is more important than the team including the coach. As soon as someone believes they are its time for them to go.

Re: And now for something completely different. . . sanity!

My problem is we shouldn't even be in this situation. Mick still wants to coach, that much is clear. He should be coach at Collingwood next year. Mick has a very good chance of going back to back, so why would we replace him? He hasn't done anything wrong, and Bucks, as much as I love him, is an unproven rookie.

Eddie DID do what was in the best interests of the club, by giving an experienced coach, 2 more years to try and win a flag after being given TEN years to do so without success despite unlimited resources and total control of the football department.

Once no success was achieved after 10 years, Eddie put a plan in place to try and GET some success.

It worked.

Luckily for those of us who DON'T choose to focus on the negative in this particular scenario (yes I see the irony in this coming from me), we understand, Collingwood is only about to get stronger.

I can't understand Pies fans being upset with Eddie here. As Speshal Ed said quite eloquently, Eddie McGuire has through ratcheting up the heat on Mick, delivered a flag.

Many Pies fans were saying "if we get a flag I will be happy". Now they are not even though we have got the flag.

Makes me think said fans will never be happy.

By the way, though Mick always talks up Neeld, there is no doubt that Nathan Buckley is one of the best students of the game, has done a lengthy apprenticeship, and respects Mick all the way. I think Mick will be at Collingwood in the next 3 years as he helps the club build up an armada of off-field support for the best team in the land.

With the strong and youthful list we have, we should be in the running for flags for the next 4 years.

Heh, it's like the total opposite of two years ago when every man and his dog was saying Eddie should sack Malthouse or quit the club.

Am I the only one who really doesn't give a shit about the coaching situation?

Yep, it's so funny isn't it, these are the same posters who only 18 months ago wanted Mick gone, and were asking why didn't we just sack him and place Bucks straight in the role.

GROW UP.

Buckley will be coaching Collingwood next year, everyone knows that, if you have a problem with it, take it up with the club at the AGM, because it ain't going to change no matter what you say.

Eddie will be the Collingwood president next year, and rightfully so, and also, if you have a problem with the "Buckley/Malthouse" deal then you should be criticizing Walsh and Pert, who are/were every bit as responsible, if not more then Eddie (who after all is only in a voluntary, non paying role).

Great thread though.;)

My problem is we shouldn't even be in this situation. Mick still wants to coach, that much is clear. He should be coach at Collingwood next year. Mick has a very good chance of going back to back, so why would we replace him? He hasn't done anything wrong, and Bucks, as much as I love him, is an unproven rookie.
I have no problem either way para but anyone calling for Eddie's head is way over the top.

SIDE BY SIDE

It's what we stand for. :thumbsu:

It worked.

Wow, I'm agreeing with Ed, oh oh.:eek::p

Great post actually, sums up the situation in a short, sharp burst.:thumbsu:

I agree 100%. If we go back to back, then can't Mick just get the top job until the year that we don't win the flag, if we don't win it this year though the plan can go through. It would be better the longer Bucks is under Mick's wing.

Anyone who wants Eddie to resign is not a Collingwood supporter. It's that simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's Something to be Learned From Allan Jeans This Week

Much has been said of Allan Jeans' influence on the VFL/AFL after his passing this week, and coaching in general, and it is all more than justified.

However, there is a major way in which Allan Jeans' time as a coach and the trajectory that his career took, that directly intersects with the Collingwood coaching handoff for 2012, which has been overlooked.

Allan Jeans was a three time premiership coach in 1987 (one with St Kilda, and two with Hawthorn). He had won the premiership the year before in 1986, and had Hawthorn performing brilliantly in 1987.

Hawthorn reached the Grand Final that year, and following this, Allan Jeans was forced (albeit by illness) to step down as coach of Hawthorn for the following year.

His assistant coach, Alan Joyce, took over from Jeans for the 1988 season, and Hawthorn finished first on the ladder, and barnstormed their way to a 96 point premiership win.

Jeans returned to coach Hawthorn for the 1989 season, with Joyce resuming his assistant coach duties, before handing over the reigns once again for the 1991 season, in which Alan Joyce again won the premiership.

Much has been made of the decision to bring Buckley in despite our likely deep finals campaign this year, with the debate mostly centering around whether or not Malthouse will actually remain at the club. Many people feel that if Malthouse is to leave Collingwood that it would be a significant, virtually unforgivable mistake on the part of those in charge.

However, Allan Jeans' and Alan Joyce's two-time seamless changeover into premierships should surely give us all some comfort that even if Malthouse is to leave, all is not lost for this team.

It's possible that we all somewhat overrate the influence of the coach beyond the development of the players and the gameplan, both of which will remain at Collingwood in 2012, regardless of whether Mick Malthouse does or not.

We aren't given many opportunities to assess where a very strong list is at when helmed by a new coach, as coaches are rarely replaced after a strong season with a strong list. However, we just happen to be viewing another such coach this season, with Chris Scott becoming the first coach in history to win his first thirteen games, despite having what many considered to be an aging list minus it's best player.

So the question from me becomes - Why is the debate all centered around whether Mick will be here or not, and not about whether Buckley can attain the same level of success that Alan Joyce and Chris Scott have had when taking over top quality teams? Why are we seemingly discounting the fact that Collingwood could go on to win the premiership next year without Mick Malthouse at the club?

Whether you agree or disagree with the decision right now, I think that everyone would agree that the handoff was a good idea in hindsight if Buckley was up there holding up the cup in 2012.

Two threads wanting to undermine the club. This gets me worried for two reasons.

First, they call themselves Collingwood supporters.
Second, the moderators havent merged the two threads like they say they do in the rules. tsk tsk

Two threads wanting to undermine the club. This gets me worried for two reasons.

First, they call themselves Collingwood supporters.
Second, the moderators havent merged the two threads like they say they do in the rules. tsk tsk
Couldn't agree more Mark

SIDE BY SIDE

If you don't like the direction the club is taking the go to the GM and make the effort to speak out, better yet volunteer for a role in the organization and contribute to the team you are criticizing.

Bloody internet heroes.

Everyone just need's to focus on what we have been waiting for 20 years, a period of dominance, forget the coaching for just 5 minutes and focus on the incredible football we are playing.

I have read a lot of crap about this issue. There is the issue about Collingwood people undermining the club by saying that Mick should continue. I wont deal with them here because I can't say what I think in a nice ordered cordial way that is demanded by the forum rules.

However, I will say that Mick has more than just the option of going to another club. Personally, if a suitable role isnt defined at Collingwood, I think he will retire and go into the media. I dont think his integrity would allow him to coach another team when he signed a contract to stay at Collingwood.

I know most of you were born in an era where integrity means nothing. You change your mind at the drop of a hat and you make committments to friends and then forget about them. Mick is old school. He gave his word. He doesnt jump ship because "he changed his mind".

We now have three or more threads about this subject on the forum. It makes ya wonder.....

Have said from day one, that this succession plan was genius by Eddie.

It's a win win for all.

If Mick doesn't win a flag in 2 years? Eddie was right, and executed the perfect, most humane sacking in the history of the AFL.

If Mick DOES win a flag, or even 2, then, who gives a shit WE WON 2 FLAGS!

Fact is, even our captain has questioned whether Mick would have been in this sort of coaching form if it WASN'T for the succession plan.

It's obvious to most who aren't either too biased or complete trolls, that this plan was the boot up the ass Mick needed to get his shit together. He basically admitted to it in that interview.

Either way, Eddie will get the role for Mick right, and Mick will stay either way. MAybe not for 3 years, but next year at the very least.

I still got the coach I wanted regardless. Bucks will be a superstar as a coach as he was as a player. Don't let the rumours bullshit you, the players love Bucks, and Bucks is a FAR more likeable person in real life than many on BF would have you believe.

20 years? and the rest!!! And I'm not talking about the football. I'm talking about the club and the pride that Eddie has single handedly lifted out of the gutter.

If you want to know where my loyalties lie, you can mark me down as an Eddie supporter until he does something that is not in the best interests of the Collingwood football club.

Not only has he made every decision in the interests of the club, he has been right almost EVERY time.

He got the right coach. He offloaded Tarrant and it was right. He stuck with Didak and he was right. Do you want me to go on??

To those that say that Malthouse has a right to continue coaching Collingwood until he calls it quits, I would argue that Eddie has a right to do what he believes is right until he quits or is voted out.

Finally, I want to say that I am deeply suspicious of those who are promoting this issue.

Re: There's something to be learned from Allan Jeans this week

There are plenty of example of coaching changes being highly successful, even for clubs that were currently contesting premierships at the time, and you have found one of the most relevant.

Hawthorn were such a strong unit, and many questioned whether they could sustain their success when Jeans fell ill and had to withdraw from coaching for a while, yet they still managed to win a premiership under Joyce, and won another 2 under each respective coach over that great period.

It shows it can be done, and done on a successful level.:thumbsu:

We are well ahead of the pack because of our gameplan! Wtf happeneds when he goes to hawks and implements a gameplan better than ours and they start beating us we will look stupid.

20 years? and the rest!!! And I'm not talking about the football. I'm talking about the club and the pride that Eddie has single handedly lifted out of the gutter.

If you want to know where my loyalties lie, you can mark me down as an Eddie supporter until he does something that is not in the best interests of the Collingwood football club.

Not only has he made every decision in the interests of the club, he has been right almost EVERY time.

He got the right coach. He offloaded Tarrant and it was right. He stuck with Didak and he was right. Do you want me to go on??

To those that say that Malthouse has a right to continue coaching Collingwood until he calls it quits, I would argue that Eddie has a right to do what he believes is right until he quits or is voted out.

Finally, I want to say that I am deeply suspicious of those who are promoting this issue.

Yep. I'm Eddie all the way.

Believe me, you all know how much I never liked Mick, and I don't change my opinions that easily. After we won that flag, I apologised for being negative, and swore to be more positive, which I've done, but I never said I'd change my opinion on Mick.

I still credit Nathan for a LARGE slice of that flag.

If Mick wants to be stupid enough to leave at 58, and start ALL over again at a new club where he'll need at least 3-5 years to:

- Get the list the way he wants it
- Implement a NEW gameplan that is one step ahead of the competition
- Get NEW support staff since all of Collingwood's that HE brought in are staying for the next 3 years

Mind you, those 3 above only work under the condition that Mick is given free reign like he was at Collingwood, and of that, there is no guarantee.

Mick may still have the fire, but even he would be smart enough to know starting from scratch at 60 isn't a smart idea.

Go out on top, like no coach has ever had the chance to do, spend more time with the fam, and still contribute towards making our great club even greater.

I've lived and breathed Collingwood for nearly 50 years, in that time I've had to put up with a mountain of dung from the rest of the football community.

At the time Eddie took over the reins Collingwood were a basket case, our wealth and power frittered away chasing broken down ex-champions and fighting board battles amongst ourselves.

Today we are entering a period of dominance, our finances are blooming, we have incredible facilities and an astonishingly good football department. It's not all Eddies work but he was the catalyst and the prime mover.

Total respect.

Re: There's something to be learned from Allan Jeans this week

This seems to be the 4th new thread on this issue today.... I need to re-read those rules again.

I dont need examples from the past to show how it is done. It is down to a handfull of people to implement and all the members have to do is to support the decision.

If Eddie's deal doesnt work out, then vote him out in the future and vote some limp-wristed corporate type in, who conducts polls every day to find out how he should act on issues.

The thing we should learn from Allan Jeans is that if you are weak off the field, then you will be weak on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back