Mega Thread The Buckley/Malthouse Succession Plan Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: If MM is not head coach next season, Eddie needs to go

a better bloke than Voss? You would have to be a seriously defective person not to be a better bloke..
Yeah, perhaps I should have said I've met him and he's a good bloke. Friendly, good sense of humour, including a nice line in self-deprecation.

and personally, I judge how well Eddie is going on the basis of how much opposition fans hate him. The more they hate, the better he is..
I hated him long before he took up an official role with you guys, but every little bit helps.;)

On the "finding" Mick job very much reminds me of Kenny Dalglish at Blackburn Rovers in the EPL in 94/95. He won the Premier league.

After winning the Premier League, Dalglish became Director of Football the following season.

As the team's fortunes began to slide – Blackburn could only finish 7th in the Premier League and were knocked out of the Champions League in the first round – questions arose about the precise nature of Dalglish's involvement with the club. He parted company with Blackburn, by mutual consent, at the end of the season.

Its going to be hard to create a job that isn't there.

Watch this Video:

[YOUTUBE]yWc9gXUhLv8[/YOUTUBE]

Between 3:05 and 3:15 while they are Interview Gibbs you can Hear ask Mick "Player Want you you Stay" you can't hear what mick says then Sam says "You Can't Say That"

Do you know what that is about?

I wonder if my post on 22/12/2010 at 17.17pm in a thread that was closed very quickly now makes a little more sense - got shot down very quickly at the time but I hope those who did so might now take a little bit of notice.

Hey Mick...

STFU.

Focas on having every single one of your players... being focased on winning this years flag.

Not your own contract negotiations... that you already negotiated and signed.

Bit of professionalism wouldn't go astray... right now, and to this point on this topic, you're trying to make the entire club look stupid.

Once again... STFU or F*** OFF.

Watch this Video:

[YOUTUBE]yWc9gXUhLv8[/YOUTUBE]

Between 3:05 and 3:15 while they are Interview Gibbs you can Hear ask Mick "Player Want you you Stay" you can't hear what mick says then Sam says "You Can't Say That"

Do you know what that is about?

I'd say Sam was asking if he can say whether the players have said that they want him to stay or which players in particular want him to say and I think Mick says "Of course I can't"

COLLINGWOOD'S Mick Malthouse has turned the coaching landscape upside down with a categorical denial he would take over at another AFL club next season. Malthouse moved to clarify his Footy Show comments on Thursday when he could not confirm he would stay at Collingwood when Nathan Buckley becomes senior coach at the end of the season.
"(The interview) was to say - and if you missed the line that was used about coaching next year - I was saying categorically that it won't be taking place. I don't know how people can misinterpret that."
Malthouse, 57, was so determined to clarify he would not coach another AFL club, he called the radio station again to repeat his stance.

Hopefully this has "cleared the air".

Nick Maxwell on AFL GameDay this morning was also very strong and adamant where he categorically stated Malthouse would be at Collingwood beyond this season.

Full article here http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-coaching-future/story-e6frf9jf-1226096409713

If this nonsense drags on, I'm thinking about writing a member's letter to Ed, pleading for him to resolve it ASAP. Would anyone be willing to sign it?

Not a bad idea there mate. Hopefully they are all just playing games with each other.

You'd definitely get plenty of magpie support from this board I would have thought.

As supporters and members, we just don't want to be taken for a ride with this issue.

I've heard our hierarchy and leaders use the phrase "Side by Side" many times, so hopefully this rings true because we have a premiership to win.

Malthouse still firing guns.

Says he doesn't know what Gary Pert was "offended" about:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coach-stirs-the-pot-again-20110717-1hk7t.html

If this nonsense drags on, I'm thinking about writing a member's letter to Ed, pleading for him to resolve it ASAP. Would anyone be willing to sign it?

Thank goodness we only have Gold Coast next week.

Most of this is posturing while the actual paperwork is being finalised.

What are the media going to write about when the issue is settled?
Then it will be onto the rift between Ed and Mick, Mick and Bucks, Dawes to GWS, Brad dick is homesick, Cloke is inaccurate, Pendles wants Maxwell's job, Tony Shaw said...blah....blah....blah.

Do you think that if everything goes as originally planned, Collingwood win this years flag and Carltoon get snuffed out in the first week that they will print a blank edition of the HUN?

Not likely. They'll make another dozen non-existent issues up, leak them on BF and then print them as gospel.

Malthouse still firing guns.

Says he doesn't know what Gary Pert was "offended" about:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/coach-stirs-the-pot-again-20110717-1hk7t.html

'One Day At A Time' pretty much said tonight..

MM will not be coaching next year and perhaps he should just accept the decision, that he signed on for, a little more graciously.

He done quite a bit of talking this year that I'm sure has been seen as undermining by the club, and made things pretty uncomfortable for Eddie, Bucks and Pert. And possibly the players also.

The deal they offered two years ago was very, very fair. He'd been ten years without a flag, just been flogged in a PF by the Cats, and yet he's offered another two years despite Bucks being available. Plus then three years as DoC.

They win a flag, he's now an immortal as a result. He should be very grateful he was given this chance.

Not be embarrassing himself and the club with his petulance...

IMO he should just concentrate on coaching and seeing they win the flag as they should, without making things harder by pretty selfish public posturing.

And I don't hold with the idea he's just doing this to deflect attention form the onfield stuff...nah this is about MM wanting to continue coaching, nothing else.

Bucks, in contrast, has shown his absolute class by not publicly firing back in any way.

Even though Walls can be annoying at times, I usually find I agree with what he says TBH, and tonight i agree with his thoughts entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'One Day At A Time' pretty much said tonight..

MM will not be coaching next year and perhaps he should just accept the decision, that he signed on for, a little more graciously.

He done quite a bit of talking this year that I'm sure has been seen as undermining by the club, and made things pretty uncomfortable for Eddie, Bucks and Pert. And possibly the players also.

The deal they offered two years ago was very, very fair. He'd been ten years without a flag, just been flogged in a PF by the Cats, and yet he's offered another two years despite Bucks being available. Plus then three years as DoC.

They win a flag, he's now an immortal as a result. He should be very grateful he was given this chance.

Not be embarrassing himself and the club with his petulance...

IMO he should just concentrate on coaching and seeing they win the flag as they should, without making things harder by pretty selfish public posturing.

And I don't hold with the idea he's just doing this to deflect attention form the onfield stuff...nah this is about MM wanting to continue coaching, nothing else.

Bucks, in contrast, has shown his absolute class by not publicly firing back in any way.

Even though Walls can be annoying at times, I usually find I agree with what he says TBH, and tonight i agree with his thoughts entirely.

Caroline Wilson basically just said the same thing on FC.

Bucks has shown his absolute class:thumbsu::thumbsu: Maybe Mick should show a bit of his for the sake of the club and his players.

Gee, the panel on "One Week At A Time"have put up a wonderful case and breakdown of the Malthouse situation.

When you analyse it and put it like that, the club has stood by Mick Malthouse big time over the last decade. Hopefully he returns the favour and sees the light at the end of the tunnel when it's all done and dusted.

It's amazing really because no current day coach would be given 10 years at the helm without a premiership.

I love Mick but I do agree Bucks has handled himself beautifully throughout all this. He knows his role and focuses all his energies into doing what's best for the team.

Most of you know my opinion on Mick Malthouse, which, for all intents and purposes, hasn't really changed despite the flag, and this week has shown why.

I can understand why Mick is behaving the way he is though.

He's caught between a rock and a hard place right now. He's being pulled in 2 directions so to speak.

He has signed a contract which gives Nathan the top job, and he takes on a new role at the club. He himself said he could full understand why the deal was put into place. 10 years with no flag despite unlimited resources and control. Something I mentioned MANY times on this forum over the years.

Fact is, the flag we won has Mick thinking he can keep going, and more than likely, he CAN keep going....at Collingwood.

See, Mick is having a meltdown because he knows deep down, within his heart of hearts that he CAN'T coach elsewhere. It would simply take too long for him to get a new club the way he likes it, and he can only do that if he has the same resources and control he has at Collingwood, which NO club could give him, barring MAYBE Geelong, and that job is out of the question. I doubt even Hawthorn could give him the same level of resources and complete control over the footy departement Collingwood has given him.

It's taken him 10 years to get our football departement to run almost like Ferguson runs Man U, which was Mick's aim all along. You think he's going to try and do that all over again at another club? Imagine how long it would take if he went to Melbourne or Richmond? Or even Carlton for that matter? Luckily at least Carlton already has some Collingwood people there. But it would still take him time to get everything the way he wants it, and we've already taken away Buttifant and Hine, so he'd have to find 2 new people he trusts as much as those 2.

Then he has his family PLEADING with him to stop. They want him to go out on top, and rightly so, why shouldn't he? But the thing is, Mick already KNOWS this.

He already KNOWS he won't be coaching anywhere else, he already knows he CAN'T coach anywhere else. He knows this is the end, and it's simply freaking him out a bit, which is completely natural, and many men his age go through the same thing, they just don't get to do it publicly.

One thing lost in the interview that trolls choose to gloss over is how many times Mick made it known that he wants the DoC role to be a meaningful one. If I had a dollar for every time etc. etc. He clearly just wants to be rememebred, and not treated like an old man being shoved out the door, which I think in the end, is the issue here.

Mick has said he wants to spend more time with family, and wants to see his grandkids grow up, a regret he has with his kids. He and his wife will be abnle to travel around the world in their 'retirement' period, all on Collingwood's dime!

Deep down, he knows this is right, and he KNOWS it's a great way to go out. He's just struggling to let go, and is 'lashing out' so to speak. Eddie is aware of this, and it's the reason Eddie has been so calm and measured about it all.

Gary Pert is obviously having more trouble understanding what's going on.

Mick won't be going anywhere, mainly because he knows there's no point.

Memo to Mick

As a Collingwood member I believe the club owes you little beyond what you’ve already received. From day 1 you received a pay packet equal to if not greater than any other AFL coach and while I’ve been happy enough with you and where the club has been during your tenure, the fact is when the “Succession Plan” was struck and signed off you had not delivered anything more than hope, that’s if we judge coaches by their premiership success. People said at the time, “but what if he wins a flag?”, I thought great, we haven’t won in 20 years. People also said “but what if he wins the next two?”, I thought great, we haven’t won in 20 years! There was also plenty saying we should have got rid of you as you’d run your race, I wasn’t one of them but when the Buckley issued arose I knew Collingwood had to make a play for him as we look to him as someone who represents Collingwood more than you. When we were in desperate straits through the 90’s Bucks (and to a lesser extent Scotty Burns and Sav Rocca) gave us a player we could watch each week who would inspire us and make us go to the footy each week. He never entertained leaving us, never put himself before the success of the team.

Your $12 million or so you’ve earned in your time at Collingwood (plus another $3M or so in your new role) and the opportunity now to leave on a high should be grabbed by you. Eddie’s deal made you coach differently, made you recruit differently (although you won’t admit it). While you’ve had success turning recycled players into quality dependable types, we went after big fish which I would place Jolly and Ball into. These guys were the pieces to the puzzle we needed.

My advice to you is this – take the deal you signed and shut up. Take it like a man, or if not serve out this year and go elsewhere and see if another club is prepared to take you for 10 years looking for success. The bottom line is that any club that has a sniff of a premiership in the next few years will not sack a coach to get you, or like the Bulldogs would struggle to pay and give you the multimillion dollar football department and everything else you’d demand or need or have been used to. You’ve been given everything you could ever want as coach to get success and now you’re trying to put yourself ahead of the club in your strange campaign to either embarrass the club into changing the deal or make the world sympathetic to you. Either way I have news for you as a member – I barrack for Collingwood, I did before you came along and I will long after you’ve gone. I’ve never barracked for a coach or felt disappointed when one got the sack. I love the club and it’s players and certainly don’t feel much love for career coaches like yourself who demand loyalty from everyone else but don’t display it yourself. I am however, looking forward to Buckley coaching, he to me IS Collingwood.

Pull your head in!

When MM took his seat in the channel nine studio on Thursday night he knew of the impending storm that was about to hit the following day. A story that was about to seriously attack the credibility of two of his boys whom I have no doubt he would feel very protective about.

When you think about it, MM as a coach instinctivily dishes out smoke and mirror lines to the media week in, week out to distract the eye away from the real story.

I like to think he threw himself on the media to help his boys and the whole story is B.S. and Eddie and crew are all in on it.

When MM took his seat in the channel nine studio on Thursday night he knew of the impending storm that was about to hit the following day. A story that was about to seriously attack the credibility of two of his boys whom I have no doubt he would feel very protective about.

When you think about it, MM as a coach instinctivily dishes out smoke and mirror lines to the media week in, week out to distract the eye away from the real story.

I like to think he threw himself on the media to help his boys and the whole story is B.S. and Eddie and crew are all in on it.

I actually had the EXACT same thought after it. I said it to my wife straight after.

Collingwood are probably THAt confident in themselves, they've manufactured 'controversy' and 'unrest' to make the premiership win THAT much more 'special'.

Mick's ego has him a little trapped at the moment, he's bleeding and trying to be brave and that's about it. He could have gone down as the greatest. That's what i reckon is itching him.

A more objective observer might think that Collingwood was using this issue to it's advantage.......:confused::thumbsu:

My thoughts exactly.

The entire scenario requires all 3 of Buckley, Malthouse and the Club to have all signed contracts which committed them to......no detail?
I find this hard to believe.

Re: Mick Malthouse Asks: What's My Job?

I have to laugh at some of the s**t in this thread, and some of it from so called Collingwood supporting posters.

Mick said nothing tonight, he waddled on like he always does, and he avoided all the big questions, just as the club would have expected him to.

You don't seriously think Mick went on that show without the clubs permission do you? MORONS.:thumbsdown:

Mick went on the show tonight as the Collingwood coach, not as an individual, he went on as the coach of a football club.

And let me also get one thing straight, GARY PERT RUNS COLLINGWOOD, NOT EDDIE MCGUIRE, and anyone who says other wise simply does not know what they are talking about.

Talk sense, or shut up please.:mad:

Mick will be at Collingwood for at least the 2012 season, and Nathan Buckley will be the senior coach, that we know, and have known for significant period of time now.

Matty is the only one that is making sense.

This morning on Sen mick said categorically that he will NOT be at another club next year,and no he will not be the senior coach at Collingwood.

So media vultures lap that up.He has given everyone a straight answer.

Now can we concentrate on the footy and task at hand,trying to back to back....FLAGS!

To be honest as long as we go back to back and then if Malty wants to coach elsewhere,GOOD LUCK TO HIM.
As far as i am concerned he has done his job .Even if he went elsewhere it would take him years to win another flag,that time he hasn't got.

Be happy going back to back,and retire at Collingwood as a director of coaching without all the senior coaching pressure.

Hey he will be looked at as a great coach.
But please don't derail our season because of his own insecurities,that i will never forgive, i don't want in hindsight to say another flag gone and we only have our selfish selves to blame..

Get back on track pies!

Gee, the panel on "One Week At A Time"have put up a wonderful case and breakdown of the Malthouse situation.

When you analyse it and put it like that, the club has stood by Mick Malthouse big time over the last decade. Hopefully he returns the favour and sees the light at the end of the tunnel when it's all done and dusted.

It's amazing really because no current day coach would be given 10 years at the helm without a premiership.

I love Mick but I do agree Bucks has handled himself beautifully throughout all this. He knows his role and focuses all his energies into doing what's best for the team.

Couldn't agree more.

Anyone one who watched this segment on 'One Week at a Time' could only come to one conclusion. If Mick doesn't pull his head in immediately - he can not be at the club next year. I think it is already too late for him. It's a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back