Prediction The Carlton Consensus Best 22 – 2019 Edition - THE VOTES ARE IN

Who should be our final player in the Best 22? (PICK ONE)

• 1. J. Silvagni

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • 4. L. O'Brien

Votes: 17 22.1%
  • 16. D. Lang

• 18. S. Walsh

Votes: 40 51.9%
  • 21. J. Garlett

• 26. H.Macreadie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 28. D. Cuningham

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • 29. C. Polson

• 39. D. Thomas

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • 40. T. Bugg

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So completed lineup as it stands (think we can probably lock away Charlie, Harry & Mitch so I've included them):

FB: Plowman, Jones, Simpson
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Marchbank
C: Murphy, Cripps, Fisher
HF: McGovern, C Curnow, ____
FF: ____, McKay, ____
FOL: Kreuzer, Dow, E Curnow
INT: Williamson, Kennedy, ____, ____

The rest is a little more difficult, there's 3 remaining starting positions and 2 bench spots, and names like SPS, O'Brien, Setterfield, Walsh, Stocker, Pickett, Garlett, Thomas, Fasolo, Newman, Bugg, Polson, Lang, Cuningham, LeBois who can play mid/wing/hff/fp roles.

I'm leaning towards SPS, O'Brien, Setterfield, Walsh and then probably Fasolo, although he could be swapped for Daisy or one of the others (Garlett, Pickett, Stocker, Polson, DC, Lang, etc)

Gonna be interesting to see who gets left out.

So completed lineup as it stands (think we can probably lock away Charlie, Harry & Mitch so I've included them):

HF: McGovern, C Curnow, ____
FF: ____, McKay, ____
INT: Williamson, Kennedy, ____, ____

The rest is a little more difficult, there's 3 remaining starting positions and 2 bench spots, and names like SPS, O'Brien, Setterfield, Walsh, Stocker, Pickett, Garlett, Thomas, Fasolo, Newman, Bugg, Polson, Lang, Cuningham, LeBois who can play mid/wing/hff/fp roles.

I'm leaning towards SPS, O'Brien, Setterfield, Walsh and then probably Fasolo, although he could be swapped for Daisy or one of the others (Garlett, Pickett, Stocker, Polson, DC, Lang, etc)

Gonna be interesting to see who gets left out.
Great post
I think the forward line should be
HF: McGovern, C.Curnow, Petrevski-Seton
F: Fasolo, McKay, Pickett
What do people think?

Great post
I think the forward line should be
HF: McGovern, C.Curnow, Petrevski-Seton
F: Fasolo, McKay, Pickett
What do people think?
I reckon Pickett still has a long way to go to make our Round 1 side. I think we'll play 1 or 2 mids resting forward exclusively - Murph, SPS, Walsh or Ed. Fas, H, Gov and Charlie will be the four stay at home forwards. Someone's going to be very stiff to miss out come Round 1. Can't see Bugg in our Best 22 but will play senior games early.

The forward line is a bit easier, now that we got most of our team set.
It's about nominating a few certainties and who can be rotating through the midfield.

I've gone with...

Locked:
McKay, McGovern, CC
Fasolo - we've recruited him to play in the seniors

Fwd/ Mid rotations:
  • SPS - love his silk
  • Walsh - gun, got to give him as much time as possible
  • Setterfield - will be a great player

Fisher and Murphy can swap with these 3 guys and rotate between mid and fwd

So there you go, our 22 consensus is done!
Is it well balanced? We really need another small forward to step up - Pickett/ Cuningham!!!

HF: McGovern, C Curnow, SPS
FF: Fasolo, McKay, ???Small forward???
INT: Williamson, Kennedy, Setterfield, Walsh

Last edited:
I've just loaded up on mids essentially:

Key forwards: McKay, Charlie
General forward: McGovern
HF rotation: SPS, Walsh
Pressure forward: Thomas
Bench spot: Setterfield

At the moment I have Thomas edging out the other options, which would be Fasolo, Polson, Pickett, Garlett and maybe Cuningham, but these guys have another 4 months of development in the system and with their fitness, so anything could happen.

Daisy has the ability to impact through the midfield, has probably the best speed/endurance combination of the lot presently, and just works into and through the game far better than the other options. It's hard to see Dale's experience and energy missing out on selection just yet.

My forwards, C Curnow H Mckay M Mcgovern A Fasolo, SPS S Walsh W Setterfield.
Again not easy which is starting to reflect some depth. SPS Walsh and Settefield to rotate through the middle.
If Picket was fit then in considerarion or maybe as the 22nd player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cuningham Charlie McGovern
Fasolo Harry and Pickett or Thomas

I would want blokes who can actually run faster or think faster than their defensive opposition in the run faster/think faster than defensive opposition positions; and
I would want three talls who can mark and kick goals - two of whom - Charlie and MCGovern will work their way up field to take relief marks when required - both are mobile enough to do it..and they need to play tall and take marks and crash packs and give out some hurt whilst they go about it - otherwise they can play VFL and spud it up down there.

If Midfielders aren't good enough to play midfield I don't want them sucking up forward line oxygen and scoring power just to get a game- that is LOSING structure.

SOS has provided a list with enough depth and class for Bolton to show what he has got - if he wants to play favourites clogging up forward line with underdeveloped not good enough to play midfield types - it will be on him and it will be his head on the block.

btw - the only 'locks' for forward line are: Charlie/McGovern and Fasolo at this stage. Harry has got to get a lot smarter - he is in A grade company now.

JaB

McGovern - Curnow - Murphy
Fisher - McKay - Fasolo

That's what I'm going with at this stage, but will have to vote differently here, given Murphy and Fisher have already made the side.

SPS and Walsh are certain starters IMO so they get my 5th and 6th vote, with the 7th a very difficult choice, and the only spot I've left blank in my own best 22 as it stands.

Given the number of kids we've got I reckon they'd probably go with Thomas, but think you can make a genuine case for about half a dozen in his place.

So after 6 forwards, which extra midfielder do I want? Who missed out on midfield? Setterfield, SPS, Walsh, O’Brien ...

6 forwards, I went with ...

SPS. Charlie Curnow. McGovern
Fasolo. Harry. Pickett.

Extra midfielder (Seventh forward), I went with Setterfield

Will be a fascinating vote for the last spot on the bench for the 22.

HF: SPS Charlie Gov

F:Fasolo HMac Bugg

I: Cuningham

Going with a physically mature team to win some ******* games. At least three of these forward spots are up for grabs, with Setterfield next in line.

I selected the same forward line.

Thomas was a consideration at half forward, as was Lang.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if Stocker is selected in the forward pocket. Has a big vertical leap and is dangerous around goals.

The club rates him highly. Expect him to get games early.

For what it's worth, I kind of like forwards being forwards, and midfielders playing in the mid. The mids can pinch hit effectively like Crippa/Musty Dartin/Bont/Danger, but the core forward line should comprise forwards. That's why we recruited them.

Having said all that, I think SPS could be an exception...soooo skillful, could play a half forward role feeding it lace up to our other forwards playing deeper....bit like a Jeffy but with better foot skills.

Charles, Gov, SPS
Fas, H, Pickett

Throw Garlett in the mix as well. A full pre season injury free may see him become a weapon next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction The Carlton Consensus Best 22 – 2019 Edition - THE VOTES ARE IN

Back