Analysis The Case for a Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Docherty and Yeo are both All-Australian this year. I think we are within our rights to apply for a PP considering how poorly compensated we were (and forever will be).

Seriously? It was our fault we lost them.

Brisbane Lions to make a case for another priority draft pick
JON RALPH, Herald Sun
September 6, 2017 6:00pm
Subscriber only
BRISBANE will officially request a priority pick from the league before the AFL’s Commission meeting on the day of the Brownlow Medal.

The Lions confirmed to the Herald Sun on Wednesday they believe it is worth asking the question of the AFL despite a year of substantial growth.

Brisbane has finished 17th, 17th and 18th in the past three years, winning four games in 2015, three games last year and only five this year.

REPORT CARD: WILL LIONS PUT NO.1 PICK ON THE TABLE?

TRADE CHAT: SHOULD SUNS MOVE ON LYNCH NOW?

The Lions received a priority pick after the first round of the draft last year, a selection that after a complicated trade helped them secure Port Adelaide’s first pick in this year’s upcoming draft.

They were also able to turn their No.2 pick into the draft’s third overall selection and pick 16, selecting exciting midfielder Jarrod Berry with that late first-round selection.

Lions footy boss David Noble said Brisbane would put in a submission based on only 12 wins over three seasons.

Brisbane lost 14 games by over six goals this year and while they are hopeful of retaining free agent Tom Rockliff he is yet to make his decision.

f025f283952895db466e2988bd42f51f

The Lions drafted Jarrod Berry with pick No.3 last year. Picture: Getty Images
It means they could lose another high-calibre midfielder from a side already needing to strengthen their onball core.

The Lions played attractive football at times, unearthed a bunch of talented kids and signed up most of their young talent.

But they remain rooted to the bottom reaches of the ladder as clubs like GWS with their list stocked full of top-10 selections continue to thrive.

“Talking to Greg (Swann) we probably still will put in a submission but I think we know what the answer will be,’’ Noble said.

“Obviously we continued to improve but it’s a process we will go through and pull all the figures apart and make a submission in the next couple of weeks.

“We have got until the September Commission meeting. We still had a handful of games where we were beaten by 10 goals.

“That figure came down but there is some argument there to putting a submission in.”

Brisbane is adamant Josh Schache is not a flight risk despite deciding against playing in the NEAFL grand final due to fatigue.

927a125b2aad04eba6cf0aaf3899d2f9

Brisbane is confident Tom Rockliff will stay at the club. Picture: AAP
He reasoned after missing some of the season and also playing AFL he would have denied a regular NEAFL player a game.

Victorian clubs will again attempt to lure him south in the trade period but the Lions are steadfast that he is not a trade option.

“Absolutely (he is staying). The high performance guys came in and looked at his energy levels and he was stuffed.

“Based on that and his selfless attitude we said it’s a good decision for him.

“I know the rhetoric is you want your young guys to play in a Grand Final but it allows the other guys who have contributed all the way through to play and it was a balanced decision.”

The Lions are open to trading away their overall first selection and could again find a way to turn it into multiple picks.

Last year they gave up 2, 31, 51 and 61 to GWS and got back 3 and 16.

It meant they could maximise their top-20 selections, eventually taking Hugh McCluggage (pick 3), Berry (17), Alex Witherden (pick 23) and Cedric Cox (24)

There is no harm in asking for a PP, its not a 'poor me attitude'.. we agree that there are many factors (coupled with our own mistakes and shortcomings) which make our journey up the ladder more difficult. Ask, if we don't get move on.
Ambit claim please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All bottom 10 teams should get 2 picks before the top 8 get 1. They need it to be a much quicker turn around to get young talent into the club.

Wonder what that would do to the dynamics of trying to make the bottom of the eight ... finals experience during the first round bundling out vs picks 10 and 20 over 11 ... maybe we could call it Tigering instead of tanking?

Wonder what that would do to the dynamics of trying to make the bottom of the eight ... finals experience during the first round bundling out vs picks 10 and 20 over 11 ... maybe we could call it Tigering instead of tanking?

No one is going to want to miss finals for draft picks. That's how you destroy a club culture.

Would I rather have pick 10 and 20 right now or be getting ready to play Sydney or WC. I can tell you **** the picks.

McGuire on the Footy Show adamant the Lions won't be getting any priority pick.

He doesn't even pretend he's not the CEO any more since Demetriou left. :p

We need one but when the perception is you are on the up you probably don't get it.Hopefully perception is reality here because if we have a bad run with injuries it will be yet another bottom four finish.Overall we should have got more assistance since 2013 but the AFL were prioritising expansion leaving us with our pants down

We need one but when the perception is you are on the up you probably don't get it.Hopefully perception is reality here because if we have a bad run with injuries it will be yet another bottom four finish.Overall we should have got more assistance since 2013 but the AFL were prioritising expansion leaving us with our pants down

I suspect we're destined for another bottom 4 finish regardless next year. Still developing.

2019 the earliest we'll see the W's tick up I believe.

So what if we're still bottom four next year? That'd be five years in a row.

You can pretty much include 2012/13 in the argument too. Those were the years you could bank easy wins over young GWS & Gold Coast sides. Without those expansion sides we're still bottom five in those respective years.

Then going back further, in 2011 we were bottom three and in 2010 we were bottom four.

Fans of opposition clubs will predictably throw up their hands in a display of faux outrage, but they'e secretly all glad that a club is actually trying to test the AFL's secret formula and trying to get a read on how it applies.

Using the is system of 4 and half wins to create a priority pick shows would mean that we shouldn't ask. However, with the possibility of Rockliff leaving we should and it might just tip things our way for a better compensation.
Completely agree. Worthwhile strategy. While we did have a better season, we still got the wooden spoon and i still expect us to be a bottom 4 team next year. I remember last year leigh mathews said we have been bad enough long enough to deserve a pp, and we got one. Results still bad enough to get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back