The Casual Dreamteamer

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
I was wondering if there were other people in my category
I have been playing dream team for a couple of years now (albeit with very little sucess). In previous times i was what would be considered a "DT nerd". However i consider myself a footy follower first, and a DT coach second. Over the time i was a "DT nerd" i found that i cared more about DT, than about the results of certain matches. This year i have become a "Casual Dreamteamer", and i am actuallly enjoying watching the games alot more.I realised that i will not win any major prizes, so i may aswell have some fun with it (being farely carless with trades)

I was wondering if their are any like me out there, and if so, have you enjoyed footy more

I'd fit in to that category I suppose. Last year I put in a lot of work each week (and preseason) and managed to live in the top 20 for most of the year. This year I had an interrupted preseason because of business commitments, so now I'm not in to it so much. I check the team-sheets on Thursday night, make trades/captains/emg's on Friday morning at work and then just enjoy the games I get to watch.

I must admit I do check in here most days though, but I'm over most of the discussions and mathematical analysis(which is largely erroneous at best). I still make solid trade choices though, I would like a top 5000 finish ;)

Last year I was in a league which involved money which I ended up winning over $800 bucks and I spent heaps of time on DT forums and analysing what trades to do.
This year I am just in a friendly league with mates and not paying too much attention or over analysing every decision.
I have been in the top 1500 overall rankings all season with a highest of 342. Amazing how good you can go when not paying too much attention.
I have found I am enjoying the games a lot more as I am not worried about every kick, mark or frees against.
Still enjoy checking my score on a Sunday night and seeing I have thrashed a mate in my league.

:thumbsu:

i was the casual dtmer.. however the eliminator has changed that. From league and overall rank to the eliminator has changed my trading (eg i traded cox) and i have checked here more often, and i have 'analysed' my trades more. Still in and im in it to win it, i still enjoy a good game of football instead of thinking about scores. The Geelong game tested me cause i wanted to check my scores after every one two by ablett or to check if the tackle counted, but i didnt... dream team has ruined my life

Priorities
1. dream team
2. food
3. family
4. friends

yup, fairly sad

When my team is going well im a DT nerd, when it's sucking i don't give a flying **** about it. Kinda like a Hawthorn supporter.

Dream Team can go and get well & truly stuffed. Hate to log in and see my ranking now also; but means nothing, you'll never win anything anyway. Am very much a footy follower first, and I am also finding to enjoy/appreciate the season a lot more. Always used to bite my fingernails when watching my captain, this whole year I haven't given a rat's razoozoo and enjoyed every minute of it. I suggest people try it for a year or two, clears the head. :thumbsu:

If I was in a league with money involved, would be a different story though. :p

Nah I'm obsessed. Been playing for atleast 3 years now but only started doing decently since last year. I dunno about thinking that you can't win it - sure the odds are stacked against you but who knows with a little bit of luck. I just don't see the point in playing and finishing 20k or something.
It does suck though - it's affecting everything in my life! Uni, social activities, family etc :eek: I almost watch every game if possible and fret over my players and that takes up wayy too much time and emotions out of me.

....and I think I've just convinced myself to transform into a casual DT'er next year...it's probably not worth it. :p

I'm a full-time dreamteamer for the first half of the season, then generally switch to part-time once it gets a bit easier and there's less work to do (if all goes to plan ;)). Can't seem to help myself really, it has got me much more involved in other AFL matches I wouldn't normally have cared too much about and I really enjoy it, though probably spend a bit too much time thinking about it and reading on here most days.

On the other hand I am a casual Supercoacher, logon Fridays to do a trade or 2 and thats about it.

Maybe one day when I have a few more important things in life to worry about, the casual dreamteamer will be the go, but until then...

i love being a serious dream teamer pre season. enjoy it heaps but once the season starts then im always casual. im not going to not go out on weekends to watch my dream team players and it doesnt seem to affect my performance either. nearly all my trades end up being good and im looking at 2 top 400/500 finishes in a row. pre season is the main thing.
however when i do watch non st kilda matches i am dream team concious but it makes the match more fun for me

I was wondering if there were other people in my category
I have been playing dream team for a couple of years now (albeit with very little sucess). In previous times i was what would be considered a "DT nerd". However i consider myself a footy follower first, and a DT coach second. Over the time i was a "DT nerd" i found that i cared more about DT, than about the results of certain matches. This year i have become a "Casual Dreamteamer", and i am actuallly enjoying watching the games alot more.I realised that i will not win any major prizes, so i may aswell have some fun with it (being farely carless with trades)

I was wondering if their are any like me out there, and if so, have you enjoyed footy more

Out of trades early again Happy?

Haha Rough.
My mates hate me, im definately DTer first and footy watcher second.
Unless West Coast are doing well then I dont care (I only have two Eagles in Coxy and Mitch Brown) so for the most part Im happy to watch the play.

Any other games DT first because I really dont care, Docker mates hate it. But they are just jealous because they suck at Dreamteam

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My love of football leads me to play DT and not the other way round.

However, I live, eat and breathe DT, and since I became obsessive my interest in footy has increased even more.

However, it is always Melbourne first for me. Sometimes I elect to not select someone as captain if they are playing against the Demons. I don't want to be conflicted when watching the Dees play.

i was the casual dtmer.. however the eliminator has changed that. From league and overall rank to the eliminator has changed my trading (eg i traded cox) and i have checked here more often, and i have 'analysed' my trades more. Still in and im in it to win it, i still enjoy a good game of football instead of thinking about scores. The Geelong game tested me cause i wanted to check my scores after every one two by ablett or to check if the tackle counted, but i didnt... dream team has ruined my life

Priorities
1. dream team
2. food
3. family
4. friends

yup, fairly sad

what are these family and friends you talk about?

In my first season I used all twenty of my trades in the first 10 rounds :eek:, though from memory my team held together surprisingly well (not that it was any good).

My love of football leads me to play DT and not the other way round.

However, I live, eat and breathe DT, and since I became obsessive my interest in footy has increased even more.

+1. I find watching footy for DT adds another element to the game and brings things to your attention that you never really would've noticed otherwise, and gives a reason to follow those games that you otherwise would've have much of an interest in.

Being a fair uni bum, DT helps fill the uni void nicely during the week. I frequent this board alot for any news or views on players of interest but still use alot of my own knowledge with trades & player selections.

During the pre-season i'm pretty much obsessive with picking the right players & read alot of training reports & what have you. But this year as my ranking fell to 20,000 & i thought id just make decisions to please myself instead of following set rules. So far that has worked a treat as ive jumped a solid 13,000 spots in a matter of weeks!

Also living in Adelaide i dont see alot of eagle matches so its kinda hard for me to get phsyced about real footy so DT keeps me interested while watching the adelaide matches shown on tv

Im a DT Nerd at the start of the year but it slowly fizzles out during the season. For example, I used to watch every game with FF but rarely do it now. Although the other week, Port vs Geelong, i was happy when Bartel kicked a goal. We were going to lose anyway!

Casual = playing and trading freely without fully considering consequences

That's probably more careless than casual I reckon ;). A casual dreamteamer would make a team at the start of the year, trade when injuries hit, and look at their team about once or twice a week if that. Anyone who reads the Bigfooty DT board is more than a casual dreamteamer IMO ;).

Remove this Banner Ad

The Casual Dreamteamer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back