Religion The CHEESE WARS! Carringbush2010 hears a who!

On a scale of 1 to Carringbush2010, how deeply are you affected by Cheer's name change?

Votes: 7 50.0%

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Carringbush2010

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It is only a racial slur if someone decides to use it as such apparently. Still waiting for Carringbush2010 to link me up some media of someone calling a black guy "Niger" with a soft g :tearsofjoy:
Or you could ask someone who would take offence to that nation's name, why they're so easily offended. More than certain there's someone somewhere who is.

You've already agreed that you'd see that as overly sensitive, like most people.

So we're back to a commercial product vs a nation of people?
Actually it's not about a block of cheese vs a nation, what it's about is the fact some people take irrational offence to someone's name, sometimes in bad faith.

I've alluded this clearly more than once.

Both as ridiculous as each other, you've already agreed that people that do / would take offence are overly sensitive.

john-hamm-sure.gif

Sure they will, mate. Be sure and let us know when you find one :tearsofjoy:

Gonna have a crack at explaining why that would be just as irrational considering its a different word with different spelling and pronunciation at any stage?
Agreed, has anyone on here or in broader society found someone who has taken offence to the name Coon? I'm sure there is because they're disrespectfully looking at someone's name as a slur instead what it really is, just someone's name.

Overly sensitive, as you've already agreed.

lol

Can't say I've ever heard anyone call a black dude "Niger" (soft g) in popular media, can you point me to an example?
Same as can you point to me an example of someone taking offence to the name Coon? (Not the slur), I'm sure there is, and they'd be very much in the minority - seems everyone agrees on that.

Yet the vehement defence of changing a brand name from the founders name is for all to see.

Same as can you point to me an example of someone taking offence to the name Coon? (Not the slur), I'm sure there is, and they'd be very much in the minority - seems everyone agrees on that.

Yet the vehement defence of changing a brand name from the founders name is for all to see.
Out of curiosity are you angry that the name changed? I understand you think those rallying against it were overly sensitive, but are you angry about the company making the decision to change the name?

If so, why? Legitimately asking as from my perspective it's their company, their choice.

Yep, as expected, incorrect mind reading from behind a keyboard.

Would you agree that someone that takes offence to someone's name is overly sensitive?

It's not hard to answer, try not to deflect this time.

Depends on the context. In this case, the cheese is not somebody.

Out of curiosity are you angry that the name changed? I understand you think those rallying against it were overly sensitive, but are you angry about the company making the decision to change the name?
No, I'm just pointing that anyone who is, is well, overly sensitive, and shouldn't be pandered to.
If so, why? Legitimately asking as from my perspective it's their company, their choice.
Of course it's their choice, but why do it?

• Possibly they thought keeping the founders name would offend a very small group of people, even though it's just a name as intended.
  • By extension, fairly speculatively without any real evidence, as it seems clear no one seems to know anyone who takes offence to someone's name
  • And by extension may have predicted, fairly speculatively without any real evidence, may have effected their bottom line.
That I find highly reactive on a maybe by a very small group of people, if indeed these people do exist, likely they do, again probably a minuscule number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think context is important. We're talking about a very different era. Very different to what we value and how we operate as a society today and no doubt, in 200 years time, people will be looking back on us in disagreement with how we are today.

I think if you keep getting caught up in the past over things that can never be changed or erased, you will never be able to move forward.

Just a different time, bro.

I think there might be complaints, surname or not, if they put it on a bag of sweets.
So in this case it was put on a block of cheese, like over a 100 years ago, I didn't hear any opposition to the actual name, only to the slur.

Even then it seems the consensus is that not many if any did take offence to the persons name as opposed to the slur.

Do you think it reasonable, that someone correlates the two even though consciously knowing the name is not intended as a slur?

Have you got one that claps?
You know the crowd favourite sealion at Sea World is called "Dumbass Whitey"?

True. Nobody wants to change its name, either.

No, I'm just pointing that anyone who is, is well, overly sensitive, and shouldn't be pandered to.
Fair enough
Of course it's their choice, but why do it?

• Possibly they thought keeping the founders name would offend a very small group of people, even though it's just a name as intended.
  • By extension, fairly speculatively without any real evidence, as it seems clear no one seems to know anyone who takes offence to someone's name
  • And by extension may have predicted, fairly speculatively without any real evidence, may have effected their bottom line.
That I find highly reactive on a maybe by a very small group of people, if indeed these people do exist, likely they do, again probably a minuscule number.
And this is where we probably diverge. From my perspective it's their company, so they can do whatever they like. I get no say in this issue/right to complain l.

Thanks for being candid though.

Fair enough

And this is where we probably diverge. From my perspective it's their company, so they can do whatever they like. I get no say in this issue/right to complain l.

Thanks for being candid though.
Just on my last paragraph, would you find that overly risk averse from a corporate? If not why not?

Just on my last paragraph, would you find that overly risk averse from a corporate? If not why not?
I don't have enough data to say, I'd imagine they're basing their decisions on market research and insights I don't have access to.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter what I think. It's their company, it's their decision. I have no skin in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Religion The CHEESE WARS! Carringbush2010 hears a who!

Back