Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 18, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Mount Buller Demons
4Kz5dxN.jpg

Who are the chosen few?

The Sweet F.A has crowned 22 champions at the time of writing this article. In 22 seasons, 440 premiership medallions have been awarded to players who have been crowned the winners of the Sweet F.A Grand Final. Each season, two lucky teams of 20 players reach the final destination, the big dance, as us premiership winners like to refer to it as.

40 players will walk into the battle ground full of hope and only 20 will leave with a smile on their face.

However, of those 40 players, there is only one (or 3 because some teams are absolute peanuts like the West Coast Wonders) man or woman (or otherwise) who can forever hold the title of 'Premiership Captain' - one of the leagues hardest achievements to attain.

It takes a special kind of Qooty player to reach those heights. It takes a person with determination, grit, toughness, and most importantly leadership skills to be the first person to wrap their hands around the handles on the Sweet F.A premiership cup on the biggest day of them all; Grand Final Day.

Making history and breaking records is something all Qooty players love to do, and the fans, well, they just love cheering on while it's happening.

Matera92 made a remark in the latest Las Vegas Bears vs Roys FFC match thread about how he notched up a premiership being a captain in under 100 games. I was curious. So what do people do when they are curious? Well, from experience, the flat earth conspiracy theorists hop on YouTube and watch a few videos and well, there it is, case solved.

Lucky for us we have a plethora of facts* scattered around the league.

HSbdNCF.png

Above you can see an accurate* table of those who have captained a premiership. I had originally written something here about some of this data, but during my interview with The Filth Wizard, he makes some very good points which are worth reading.

From this data you will be able to work out a lot of things you may consider as mildly interesting.

Legend:
Captain - when player was made captain
FSP - Premiership in first season of being captain
BOG - Deestroy Medallist
POS - Position

I mentioned an interview of The Filth Wizard. Yes, I will follow this post with multiple interviews of those in this elite club. I have 4 already in the bag and hope to complete the rest by seasons end. Throughout these interviews players will relive and react to information I share about their premiership season(s).

Fun facts:
  • Both PVF & Wacky Tiger won a Mobbenfuhrer Medal the season before captaining a flag.
  • No player has won an ALF or Mobbenfuhrer Medal in the same season as winning a flag as captain.
  • Wacky Tiger is the only player to captain a premiership and win the Deestroy Medal.
  • Golumless is the only premiership captain to kick more than 3 goals in a Grand Final (5).
  • ClarkeM, loopy_cam, PHX and eagleskickass are the only 4 dual premiership captains.
These are The Chosen Few.

P.S
The interviews are incredibly long but I'd say are worth a read.

Edit: 13k posts.

S3veEzF.png

The Filth Wizard is arguably one of the greatest to ever step foot into the Sweet F.A. At the end of Season 23, he has lead us to believe that he will step down from his position as Administrator of the Sweet F.A - closing a chapter on his very storied career. There is absolute no doubt in any players mind that one day he will be inducted into the Sweet F.A Hall of Fame.

Before The Filth Wizard became the face of the league, he was the man behind leading the Dragons FFC to their very first premiership. He was one of the men behind the plotting of arguably the most controversial season the league has seen to date. A group of players all being brought in as mercenaries would shatter walls as he would captain them to the Season 19 flag.

Today we will take The Filth Wizard back through Season 19 as well as his career.

This is The Filth Wizard, and he is a premiership captain.

________

45819.jpg

The Filth Wizard
H: You joined the league at the beginning of Season 16. Can you recall how you managed to find yourself in the Sweet F.A and after grasping the concept, what were you looking to get out of the league?

TFW: I was actually originally asked to have a look in the days of The Mod Squad but they were only early days. My brother was in my ear fairly regularly across S15 as he'd just made his debut and was experiencing a level of popularity he was enjoying so I had a lurk late in the season and decided to join during the finals series. As a certified non-sportsman I started with the mindset I wanted to let the sim turn me into a champion. Eight seasons later we're no closer to that but I'm content that I've achieved a lot many others haven't externally.

H: Before we get to the focal point of this article, let's turn our attention towards another hot topic.

For me, the Hall of Fame is the greatest honour one can be awarded. As the outgoing Administrator, which is another feather in your cap, do you believe one day you will join that exclusive club? If so, how far off are you from that or what do you believe you need to do to for it to be set in stone that you will indeed one day join the Hall of Fame?

TFW: I think in two more seasons, maybe three, if I continue my output I'll end up with the most all SFA's in history. I'm a premiership captain. I'm one of very few league MVP's. I'll have reason to be there eventually and being league admin for three seasons may sneak me over the line for Immortal status.

Then they can put me in the hall of fame.

H: In your first two seasons in the league, you snagged yourself a Best & Fairest and two All-SFA selections. Season 18, two seasons after your debut you were given the opportunity to lead the Dragons alongside league legend Ljp86, who at the time been at the helm for a staggering 10 seasons.

Those are some very large shoes to fill. After one season at the helm of the club, you put in place a plan which, in my opinion, caused the greatest amount of chaos the league has seen. You put together a list of some of the biggest high profile players in the league and broke every wall ever built down on the way to the ultimate glory in Season 19 - the premiership cup.

Can you give us some insight as to why and how you came up with such a plan? Do you have any regrets about Season 19 - on or off-field?

TFW: They were even bigger shoes to fill bearing in mind I was stepping into a position vacated by boncer34.

It's a fairly well trod story now but it was really just about getting some names over to the club and in particular some fading stars that needed a change. It stemmed from a post podcast chat of "wouldn't this be cool if..." Danoz and I had with some wrestling fans and over time we expanded the chat with others (we had no issue getting PVF, Gee Dub, Noobz0r, Sanchez et al over however bomberlegend2007 ended up disappearing before we could get him up and firing). If we're going to be candid it was only intended as a one season gimmick, maybe two and the rest of the Dragons team really wasn't involved (although Andonis did create our new logo). There was always a small disconnect between the nWo and the Dragons but the club had unarguably never been as relevant.

But, oh yeah. I still had a responsibility to the club and that's why we made a move on a young Furies upstart who became our last signing and is now the last remaining former member of the nWo at the Dragons.

Disappointingly the whole storyline ended up a bit of a fizzer but was bookended between what I consider two of the biggest moments in the history of the Sweet FA - my 'Merry Christmas' announcement thread that had a record number of hits and left the Swamprats, in particularly a tear soaked spookism, on their knees (and saved their lives incidentally) and the Grand Final sim 'scandal'.

H: You mentioned the names of those who were brought into the squad in Season 19. They are all posters and players that everyone is aware of. One name in particular catches my eye though, and it would be remiss of me not to question you on him.

The records will forever show that you were not a solo captain when you won the premiership that season. After speaking with other members of the Season 19 premiership team, some may argue that Gee Dub was about as useful as Quivorir as captain.

Why was Gee Dub made co-captain? Do you have any issues or regret that decision?

I imagine you are not the type to let that kind of thing bother you too much.

TFW: Ha ha, good question. It's easy to forget but back then in a lot of ways GD was the biggest signing of the incumbents, certainly status wise at the time. Realistically though it was a show Danoz and I were running so when Dub asked for it there was really no reason to say no, it was purely a goodwill gesture and added to the gimmick.

It was a shame he'd checked out though. It's easy to forget the impact some players had back then.

H: Alright, we can move on from nWo-related questions and focus on your individual achievements.

It came as a surprise to myself when doing research for this article that of the 25 named premiership captains, 17 of you all managed to notch up the achievement in under 100 games. On 76 games, both you & Wacky Tiger round out the top 10 for the quickest to reach the ultimate glory.

In the last 5 seasons, you two trail Golumless (56 games) to complete the feat.

What are your thoughts on those statistics? You are in an elite group.

TFW: I think it might be an interesting point made there on the speed that some people are elevated into a captaincy role. How many truly active players are over 150 games? 200? I think in a lot of ways three to four seasons is when most players are in their prime and in particular, their leadership prime.

I think if you look at it there is, I believe, only one current captain that debuted before S16 (my co-captain Mr Eagle although a week ago we could have claimed Quivorir). I feel that since S16 which was a pretty big growth season for the league the age of the young captain has become a trend. In a way I'm not too surprised, I'd be willing to bet that the 8 that were over 100 games were in majority between S8 and S15.

H: Your time in the committee has largely been as either the Administrator or Moderator of the board, not so much as a captain, correct? When you hand off your current role, is your aim to get back into the committee as a captain of a club?

The bigger question here is, if so, what club will that be? It has been a few seasons since your move to the East Side and not only Dragon fans, but league fans are curious as to if you will return back home to Dragon Island in the coming seasons?

TFW: I've often talked about returning to the Dragons but since I left they've gotten stronger and stronger off field. In a lot of ways that's made me feel content with delaying that return. I don't know if the current incarnation needs me let alone can squeeze me in.

I've taken on the Hawks co-captaincy this season certainly with a view to my immediate future. I'm a big fan of the project there, I really feel like we made a difference last off season to build the club and I'd like to see that through a little longer. I've heard Mr Eagle talk about dialing back this season and personally I hope that's something he's 100% on, I'd not be stunned if he didn't.

Short answer, if I'm ever in the committee again it's as a Hawk, a return to the Dragons would be at a time that I wouldn't be required as their rep.

H: As our final point here, I want to turn your attention back to Season 19. At the beginning of the season you vacated your position in Ruck to yours truly. 22 premiership captains placed themselves in positions on-field during the Grand Final that are notorious for getting 'Best on Ground' votes.

I can categorically say that you deserved to play in one of those spots had you wished to. You clearly opted not to. Why was it that you made the decision not to when you had the opportunity to add to your resume?

TFW: Is that true?

I do recall giving you ruck heading into the finals... we'd hit a bad bit of form and I had been hit with another captaincy penalty so I wanted to shift myself out and then we hit a win and I was too superstitious to change back just in case we lost. I think you kept the spot forever then.

Let's be honest though, full forward was the place to be for best on grounds in S19.

H: Absolutely it is true. I haven't moved unless I was unwillingly dragged since that day. Who said you didn't make good decisions?

I think it is about time we wrap this interview up. I have one last thing I'd like for you to touch on and then a round of quick fire questions which you can answer in short form.

At what point in Season 19 did you begin to believe that you could actually be on the brink of making history by not only captaining a premiership, but the first for the club?

TFW: I didn't even think about it until we won the prelim and even then it was 3/4 time in the sim post that I thought it was a reality. My main priority was seeing Dragons stalwarts like Ljp, Pie 4 Life et al getting their first taste of premiership glory as Dragons. Then it settled in that not only was I the first Dragons premiership captain, so was Gee Dub.

Who do you believe to be the best FF of all time?

The best I've seen is Tarks but that is in tough competition with guys like okey, Fred and even Beng. The best I've played with is boncer34 though. Hopefully brahj can take both honours in the coming seasons.

What captain to you think will join the premiership captain club in Season 23?
Mr Eagle. I've seen crazier things than HaroLad as well.

Why do you think Millky95 made for such a poor Ruckman?
He's always second to the ball.

Of the current captains, who is doing the best job?
I can't fault any of them really mate. As long as clubs are healthy then they are all doing their jobs. Saying that I can foresee at least four changes in the coming season/off season.

H: Thank you for your time spent answering these questions and reliving some of the highlights of your career.. Best of luck in Season 23 and going forwards. You're certainly one of the all-time superstars of the league.

To pick a bone, it was the Alberton Swamprats who won in S6.
I renamed all the clubs to reflect name changes. Season 07 was actually Big Footy Bombers but because Cloud_ and I updated club names in most other records, I thought I'd do the same here. :p

How the hell did you sort that table in the OP?

Games played by captain to win premiership..... right up my alley for a gobbely gook.

Hate you have been doing some marvellous stuff lately, marvellous.
Sir Mobbs would be all teary one would think.

Games played by captain to win premiership..... right up my alley for a gobbely gook.

Hate you have been doing some marvellous stuff lately, marvellous.
Sir Mobbs would be all teary one would think.

Ah yes, a vital stat... especially because ClarkeM is the St Kilda of the league.

Ah yes, a vital stat... especially because ClarkeM is the St Kilda of the league.

Two dad captains shouldn't count, they're a blight on the whole Sweet FA Community.

It's like the 2004 Brisbane Lions all over again.

Four captaincy changes in the off season, The Filth Wizard? Who?

It would also be interesting to note if that would be a record, or more of the norm.

I would have thought it was a standard. I actually wanted to say up to six factoring in co-captains as well.

I'm keeping my opinions to myself for the moment though but I think there are some long serving captains that may see it time to change the guard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought it was a standard. I actually wanted to say up to six factoring in co-captains as well.

I'm keeping my opinions to myself for the moment though but I think there are some long serving captains that may see it time to change the guard.

so fitzroybowiedog is one :p

too late I have read

Mr eagle
Marlowe
Fitzroybowiedog
Licoriceallsorts
Millky95

4 of those 5

I also wouldn't be stunned if Wooshette handed off/brought in a co-cap and then there is always that talk about the Demons coup.

I also wouldn't be stunned if Wooshette handed off/brought in a co-cap and then there is always that talk about the Demons coup.

oooohhh i so love a wooshette, cup scenario.

Unless Wooshette gets bored she is doing a great job, shes even made me like the warriors a bit.

and RU_ isn't a real captain so he can't really step down, can't even pick an avatar without my help.

Unless Wooshette gets bored she is doing a great job, shes even made me like the warriors a bit.

and RU_ isn't a real captain so he can't really step down, can't even pick an avatar without my help.
Oh God, sack me now

Remove this Banner Ad

Media The Chosen Few: Premiership Captains

Remove this Banner Ad

Back