Official Team Thread Gumbies FFC Season 37 Team Thread: Not counting premierships, instead, making the premierships count.

Remove this Banner Ad

rd12.png
In a week of mixed emotions, we found the right level of emotion and made a strong start going into half time comfortably in front. Our dominance continued in the third quarter before we allowed the Roys to peg back the margin a touch in the last quarter. The winning margin though was enough to propel us into the top-four for the first time this season. We had a very good week of stats with 18 of the team scoring 30+ DT. Up forward Mop, Chat Pile and Barrybran were excellent, in the middle cats_09, Brick Loosener, CatToTheFuture, StFly and ossie_21 were in full command while the defence was wonderfully led by BlueE, bone2468 and NSWCROW.
SIM​
POSTING​
5​
3​
Falconista, beez, cats_09, GWS Goose, BlueE, CatToTheFuture​
4​
ossie_21​
2​
Mop, Barrybran, Brick Loosener​
3​
cats_09​
1​
ossie_21, Dory_77​
2​
StFly​
1​
Falconista​

rd13.png
We hosted the second-placed Swamprats in a match of the round fixture that lived up to its name. The first quarter was an arm wrestle with the Swampies hitting quarter time with a 7 point lead. For the next two quarters, the Swamprats had the ascendancy but we were good enough to stay in touch. And in the last quarter, boy did we come back, with 4 of the last 5 goals of the match to equalise in the 23rd minute of the last which was the final score of the match. HotPiesWithSauce came off the bench and was clear BOG with 26 disposals and 3 goals. Other significant contributors include BlueE who was excellent at fullback, beez who topped 100 DT, GWS Goose with 21 disposals after being moved to the centre possie by the sim, NSWCROW off halfback with 20 touches and cats_09 continuing her immense season.
SIM​
POSTING​
5​
3​
Falconista, beez, cats_09, GWS Goose​
4​
beez​
2​
Barrybran​
3​
NSWCROW​
1​
ossie_21, Dory_77, Brick Loosener, NSWCROW, BlueE, HotPiesWithSauce, Mop​
2​
BlueE​
1​
GWS Goose​

rd14.png
Off to Las Vegas we went seeking to continue our recent good form and knock off the Bears. Chat Pile got us off to a quick start with the opening goal before the quarter descended into an arm wrestle. The second quarter was where we made our move kicking five goals to one to head into half time 29 points in front. By the five minute mark of the third we'd extended our lead to 35 before one of our characteristic fades set in. The Bears banged on nine of the next eleven goals of the contest to be in front ten minutes into the last. Thankfully we came back to life and kicked the last three majors for an important win. Speaking of majors, Barrybran continued his form by kicking four to go with 16 disposals in a nice display. GWS Goose played a very nice game at ruck rover, with BlueE, Dory_77, Chat Pile and ossie_21 also prominent.
SIM​
POSTING​
5​
3​
Falconista, beez, GWS Goose​
4​
GWS Goose​
2​
cats_09​
3​
BlueE​
1​
Barrybran, ossie_21, BlueE, Brick Loosener, Mop, Supercheapgiants, DinoSoar​
2​
Dory_77​
1​
Chat Pile​

rd15.png
So, the Thursday night experiment did not work in our favour as we went down to the Old Boys. The margin in the end probably flatters us as we were outplayed by the ladder leaders for much of the game. We got as far behind as 31 points in the third quarter before we jolted to life and kicked 5 consecutive majors to actually lead! However, that lead lasted just 42 seconds as the Old Boys again put a gap on the scoreboard that we couldn't overcome. Mop, beez, ossie_21 and HotPiesWithSauce were prolific in the midfield each pulling in bulk stats. Also important were cats_09 who won the ruck battle and Supercheapgiants was efficient turning each of their four kicks into goals (a career best tally). Not the milestone match we wanted for Dory_77 however there isn't long until we can play for redemption on Monday.
SIM​
POSTING​
5​
Mop
3​
Falconista, beez, GWS Goose, cats_09​
4​
beez​
2​
bone2468, Dory_77​
3​
cats_09​
1​
Barrybran, BlueE, Brick Loosener, Mop, Supercheapgiants, CatToTheFuture​
2​
Chat Pile​
1​
ossie_21​

rd16.png
Monday qooty was not what we wanted as we recorded consecutive losses for the first time since early in the season. The match was a close affair for the first three and half quarters with the lead changing hands a few times and the margin sitting in single digits. However, we finished awfully and copped a four goal loss. Brick Loosener had a fantastic day out and was by far our best. BlueE had an excellent day at fullback, while at the other end of the park, Supercheapgiants kicked three. Through the middle, bone2468, beez and Mop did their best in the circumstances. Five players scored 10 DT or less (myself included) so should be VERY fresh and ready to dominate next match.
SIM​
POSTING​
5​
3​
Falconista, GWS Goose, cats_09​
4​
Mop​
2​
beez, Barrybran​
3​
bone2468​
1​
Mop, BlueE​
2​
BlueE​
1​
Supercheapgiants​

rd20.png
For the first time in a couple of seasons, we have recorded three consecutive losses with this one undoubtedly the worst in our streak. The match was never close, with the Dragons having double the scoring shots in the 58 point loss. Despite the belting, a few of us still had quite good matches. StFly in game 350 was huge with 113DT, GWS Goose (98 DT), beez (23 disposals) and rye (22 disposals, 2 goals) all stood up well forward of centre with NSWCROW (22 disposals) and myself (17 disposals) doing our best in the D50. We really need to arrest this form slump rapidly as any loss from here and we're cactus!

SIMPOSTING
5​
StFly
3​
Falconista, GWS Goose, beez, BlueE
4​
Chat Pile
2​
cats_09, Mop
3​
GWS Goose
1​
ossie_21, Brick Loosener, Dory_77, NSWCROW
2​
rye
1​
Falconista

With one match left in the season, we have three contenders left who can take home the Catman Medal. Please enjoy this short interval while I hastily do some typing. Back soon as I can!
the contenders rd16.png
beez, cats_09 or GWS Goose- who takes home the B&F?

milestones and awards header.png
Game Milestones:

DinoSoar Gumbies FFC/Sweet FA debut (round one)
rye 50 Gumbies FFC/Sweet FA games (round one)
Mop 150 career matches (round six)
beez 150 matches for Gumbies FFC and life membership (round ten)
GWS Goose 150 matches for Gumbies FFC/Sweet FA matches and life membership (round ten)
Dory_77 100 Gumbies FFC/Sweet FA games (round fifteen)
StFly 350 matches for Gumbies FFC/Sweet FA matches (round twenty)
Aucklander 50 Gumbies FFC/Sweet FA games (elimination final)

Statistical Milestone:

StFly became the first to 1000 marks for the Gumbies.
GWS Goose now has the most tackles and frees for in Gumbies colours
Barrybran moved to second on the all time Gumbies goalkicking table
GWS Goose, Barrybran and Brick Loosener each reached 10000 DT points for the Gumbies.

All-SFA Nominees:

GWS Goose
Barrybran
beez
cats_09
Falconista

All-SFA Representatives:

Falconista (HBF)

beezTrophy:

Falconista 1st (1510 votes)
GWS Goose 30th (234 votes)
beez 31st (226 votes)
Barrybran 50th (103 votes)
cats_09 and Brick Loosener =71st (60 votes)
CatToTheFuture =89th (33 votes)
StFly =93rd (31 votes)
bone2468 =95th (29 votes)
Mop =98th (27 votes)
Chat Pile =140th (3 votes)
nobbyiscool =144th (1 vote)

Mobbenfuhrer Medal:

ossie_21, 10 votes (=24th)
GWS Goose, 9 votes (=32nd).
cats_09, 8 votes (=36th).
Chat Pile, HotPiesWithSauce and rye 3 votes.
nobbyiscool, 2 votes.
beez, Barrybran, NSWCROW and BlueE, 1 vote.

Frankston Rover winner:

Falconista

peterss header.png
PREVIOUS WINNERS INCLUDE: beez, CatToTheFuture, BlueE and ossie_21.
SHORT LIST: BlueE, bone2468, Falconista and NSWCROW

The peterss trophy since season 32 has been awarded to the Gumbies defender of the season. The award is named after our longest serving captain and games record holder who played much of their latter career with the Gumbies in defence. Two players shone very brightly in defence this season- BlueE and NSWCROW. In the end, it came down to whcih of you two recorded the most votes in the B&F. As such...

Congratulations BlueE, the first consecutive peterss Trophy winner.

peterss trophy.png

BlueE, as the previous winner, awkwardly awarding the peterss award to himself. As you can see, I found it hilarious.

ninty2winty header.png
PREVIOUS WINNERS INCLUDE: Barrybran, Dory_77 and rye.
SHORT LIST: Chat Pile, Supercheapgiants and Barrybran

Another season where this was a close contest. Chat Pile kicked the most goals for the Gumbies this season however sadly stepped away from Bigfooty mid-way through the season. Meanwhile, Barrybran was the league's most successful (statistaclly) half forward.

Barrybran you are the Ninty2Winty winner as season 38's best Gumbies forward. Another award, this your one for the road.

ninty2winty.png

Baz can't be here tonight, so we've had to catch up with him via video link. Is it just me or does he look like he's missing us?

rising star.png

We had one rookie in season 37, so this is an easy decision. DinoSoar dipped their toe in match threads a few times during the season and we hope they enjoyed their experience and will be around for a while yet.

Congratulations DinoSoar on emulating one of your footy idols by winning the Rising Star.

krisholio award.png

ef.png
We got thrashed in a final and our season and premiership defence was over.
SIM​
POSTING​
5​
3​
Falconista, GWS Goose, beez, cats_09​
4​
GWS Goose​
2​
BlueE​
3​
NSWCROW​
1​
Brick Loosener, Dory_77, NSWCROW, Barrybran, CatToTheFuture, Mop, bone2468, Aucklander​
2​
Aucklander​
1​
beez​

So...who won the B&F..?

final leaderboard.png

RANKPLAYERSIMPOSTINGTOT VOTES
1beez285078
=2cats_09274875
=2GWS Goose264975
4Falconista65157
5Barrybran163248
6Brick Loosener162642
7BlueE151934
8ossie_21181533
9Mop111930
10Dory_77101727
=11CatToTheFuture42125
=11Chat Pile17825
13NSWCROW17522
14nobbyiscool81018
15Supercheapgiants41317
16rye8311
=17DinoSoar448
=17Aucklander538
=19bone2468347
=19StFly707
21HotPiesWithSauce516

catman header.png
Congratulations to beez who wins their second Catman in three seasons. From a personal laziness perspective, it's a great result as I can reuse the shoop below from last season.

This is just yet another award to add to a trophy cabinet that would make the most successful athletes in the world weep. You had a wonderful season on the wing and are absolutely deserving of this honour.

catman medallist.png

There is one last prize to award, but before we get there, there are a couple of miscellaneous matters to address.

GOODBYE:
miggs:
In season 37, we lost squad member miggs after an ongoing health battle. He was one of those posters who was very memorable and speaking personally, my career only just overlapped with his but those times were very fun. For those interested, The Filth Wizard did a really lovely write up HERE which has some great memories of both the persona and the person.

Chat Pile: Sadly, we have had to delist Chat Pile who has deleted his Bigfooty account. Hopefully this is just a sabbatical and we absolutely would love to have you back at the club when you're ready.

Barrybran: After many seasons of hard work at this club, Baz has decided to roam across the Sweet FA and experience life at a different club. We look forward to verbally and perhaps physically terrorising the traitor our matchup with the Warriors where we can verbally spar with Mr Bran.

TWENTY YEARS OF THE GUMBIES:

Tonight, in honour of twenty seasons of the Gumbies, we have the first of what I intend to be recurring features of the next 6-12 months in honouring our history and those who have been part of it. I have spoken with Mobbs who oversees the lore of the Sweet FA and he has given the green light for the naming of the two ends of the House of Gumby. In real life, Docklands stadium has the 'Coventry' and 'Lockett' ends to recognise two of the greats of V/AFL.

So who will we choose at the Gumbies? Pretty simple really, it is with great pride that the two ends of the House of Gumby are officially to be known as the:

winty end and the Barrybran end.

Winty and Baz are both fine full forwards and figures within the club and both are in the top-50 goal scoreers in league history. Thank you to you both on your service on-field for the Gumbies, particularly in the front half, and your efforts in keeping this club moving forward.

stfly header.png
The first thing you may have noticed is the name of this award has changed subtlety this season from the StFly Best Clubman to the StFly Best Citizen. This is arguably the biggest award you can win at the club and is named after our fabulous veteran, StFly who has played an eye-watering 351 games (and counting) for the club.

As we initiated last season, the previous season's winner of this award decides who and how we adjudicate this award and is responsible for the writeup. And thus, after GWS Goose deemed me the winner last season, it fell to me to decide the season 37 winner. Luckily this season one candidate seemed such an obvious choice that I decided to forgo a voting process.

Joining the club as a rookie ahead of our premiership-winning season 36 season, cats has quickluy established herself as a star of this club. Her positing is excellent and she has a knack for finding otter tweets and videos that are the envy of the league. She also dabbled in some AI imagery last season producing some excellent results to add another string to an already impressive CV. Cats now formally joins the Gumbies LG for season 38 after showing plenty of leadership in her time with the club thus far.

Cats, you're a wonderful poster and Gumbies citizen whose future seems golden. You are very deserving of this award- well done.

Cats- enjoy the winner's prize of the decision process and writeup for this award in season 38 😝.

Congratulations on winning the StFly Best Citizen Award for Season 37, cats_09.

stfly award.png

Luckily, that is the end of the B&F- sorry it took so long. I'm off to eat something and get the laptop on charge.
Thanks for your company everyone.​

View attachment 2056957
PREVIOUS WINNERS INCLUDE: beez, CatToTheFuture, BlueE and ossie_21.
SHORT LIST: BlueE, bone2468, Falconista and NSWCROW

The peterss trophy since season 32 has been awarded to the Gumbies defender of the season. The award is named after our longest serving captain and games record holder who played much of their latter career with the Gumbies in defence. Two players shone very brightly in defence this season- BlueE and NSWCROW. In the end, it came down to whcih of you two recorded the most votes in the B&F. As such...

Congratulations BlueE, the first consecutive peterss Trophy winner.

View attachment 2056958

BlueE, as the previous winner, awkwardly awarding the peterss award to himself. As you can see, I found it hilarious.

View attachment 2056961
PREVIOUS WINNERS INCLUDE: Barrybran, Dory_77 and rye.
SHORT LIST: Chat Pile, Supercheapgiants and Barrybran

Another season where this was a close contest. Chat Pile kicked the most goals for the Gumbies this season however sadly stepped away from Bigfooty mid-way through the season. Meanwhile, Barrybran was the league's most successful (statistaclly) half forward.

Barrybran you are the Ninty2Winty winner as season 38's best Gumbies forward. Another award, this your one for the road.

View attachment 2056962

Baz can't be here tonight, so we've had to catch up with him via video link. Is it just me or does he look like he's missing us?

View attachment 2056963
We had one rookie in season 37, so this is an easy decision. DinoSoar dipped their toe in match threads a few times during the season and we hope they enjoyed their experience and will be around for a while yet.

Congratulations DinoSoar on emulating one of your footy idols by winning the Rising Star.

View attachment 2056964

Looks like I got back from my week off just in time!

Outstanding work and graphics Falconister.

Awkwardly awarding the award to myself post is going up in the Trophy room.

Thanks Falconista for hosting tonight, the work to put this all tonight and the awesome graphics

Congratulations to all the award winners tonight, BlueE , Barrybran , DinoSoar and to beez as last seasons Catman medalist

Fantastic to also see the milestones & achievements from last season, as we venture into round 1 of season 38

And thanks Capt for the acknowledgment with the St Fly Best Citizen award. I really appreciate the recognition and want to thank my teammates - this has been such a warm & welcoming environment which allows each of us to grow & find our own identity in the world of SFA

Season 37 had its ups & downs, but now it's time to look forward and smash the competition in season 38

Nice work Falconista. Congratulations to all the award winners.

Congratulations also to everyone involved with the Gumbies over the past 20 years and 34 seasons. It is pretty cool to see the club kicking on after all this time after some rough patches.

I'm over kicking stones after not winning anything this year. I'm so disappointed, individual accolades are literally the only reason I do anything.
Convention is to congratulate the winners. So I begrudgingly congratulate beez on his Cayman medal now all my options to appeal have failed.

I wasn't eligible for the rookie of the year so Dinosaur I'm legitimately happy for you.

Everyone else that won, well done I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Official Team Thread Gumbies FFC Season 37 Team Thread: Not counting premierships, instead, making the premierships count.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back