Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually and surprisingly, no.
All players have their preplanned and designated rotations based on the strategic game plan and their role within that.
All players are monitored via GPS and have “red lines” per rotation for km travelled and frequency of burst speed (instances of sustained speed >2.2 secs). If they hit either of the red lines early in their rotation, they are benched. The example the Brisbane guy gave was that of a player with soft hamstrings hitting his burst speed parameters early.
Then the Bench Coach, in consultation with the medicos and the high performance manager, changes the planned rotations.
So theoretically, if player x hits a red line five minutes into the first and is benched, the preplanned interchange is affected from that point.

So the pace/style of the game will have a greater impact on rotations than injury. Which surprised me.

Injuries are of course significant but not in the way we would expect.

The whole process is data driven.
The Brisbane guy made fascinating listening.
As observers and supporters we get a completely different, and wrong, impression of the interchange.

It is interesting to read - I gather the science is backed up by stats showing a reduction in injuries? How do they calculate the base level (red line) for players? How does that equate to AFL which is such a ebb and flow game?

Gees that would restrict what you can do as a coach on game day. Is it any wonder Richo spends most games looking overwhelmed.

I can understand it applying to players with a history of hamstring issues or similiar, but otherwise I be wanting to let players go when the are playing well eg Paddy.

After watching NR yesterday on AFL 360, I was just trying to figure out what was our game plan and structure in 15, 16 and 17.

It was all about pressure and tackles - you don't require skills for that.

But our field kicks and goal kicking were really poor.

Now in 2018, saints are ranked number 17 in pressure and tackles and we look like a VFL level team.

So there is no structure or a game plan besides bombing high in our 50, and hope someone will mark or small forwards will collect the footy.

No wonder our younger players have not developed and they have regressed.

Last edited:

Both Roo and Joey have been in the media over the last 24 hours asking very serious questions of our coach, list and potential. These are not comments that stalwarts of the club, 6 months out of the game, would make if they had faith in the coach. Jungle drums get louder...
to me ... and i could be well off the mark but i do think sometime the current players use the former players to send a message that perhaps they themselves could not send ...

for those that want richo gone, would you prefer a bad loss to GCS and richo sacked, or us to win by 120 points and play like the team we've been aiming to be? I'd much prefer the latter, but I think a fair amount of people would prefer the former
I don't think the game vs GCS is an indicator of anything.. just two very badly under-performing teams. The outcome could be anything- one sided, close..it means little.

Means SFA to us except a win will give us a worse dp.

A win will help the coach and players confidence and take a fraction of the pressure coming into the bye.

Conversely a loss could mean a better dp if we keep Richo.

Getting a new coach could result in more wins and losing a top quality player.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

A win will help the coach and players confidence and take a fraction of the pressure coming into the bye.

what if it's a huuge win. is what I'm sayin? the thought of draft picks does change my view somewhat tho.

Basically damned if we do and damned if we don't! o_O

Billings should never have been dropped and should come straight back in.

He has been off the boil but the role he plays is similar to Toby Greene, it's just not that easy to rack up huge numbers in that role.

He was unlucky the previous week, having made good position players failed to find him with their passes.

He has plenty of mates who have been below their best this year, I get sick of the unrealistic expectations and blaming.

If you get 25 disposals and kick 2 you have killed it in that role.

We have full time mids who only average a few more touches than billings.

He has been off the boil but the role he plays is similar to Toby Greene, it's just not that easy to rack up huge numbers in that role.

He was unlucky the previous week, having made good position players failed to find him with their passes.

He has plenty of mates who have been below their best this year, I get sick of the unrealistic expectations and blaming.

I think the game in the seconds proved that he should have been dropped. I haven't seen that effort once this year. Anyway he had the kick up the arse so comes straight back in. 3 clearances in 11 games shows completely lack of effort even if he thinks he is giving full effort. On another topic surely everyone wants to win. We may have got better players not finishing as low in Billings and Paddy year.

Don’t agree about how bad our list is it’s more then good enough to be competitive so people saying our list is bad isn’t 100% correct,work in progress so to speak we all said we were 1 or 2 midfielders short of being a top 4, so what had happened.

Maybe a change of coaching philosophy, maybe a loss of confidence in the coaching group either way our list is better then what’s being projected.

I would prefer we do move on Richo & take a hit for another 12 months with no FA then find out that Richo’s coaching is the issue & make that call end of 19.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
But you need to get back players on top of that. We are playing a side that is very inexperienced. It not usually a recipe for regular wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

super interesting!

that surprises me. surely if your lead ruckman goes down injured and is out the game, it means the pre-planned interchange is altered, now it might not be altered by the coach but it surely is altered by someone? you would be one down on the bench, you have to move another tall into the ruck, which means someone else has to move into the taller position and then someone else takes that blokes spot and so on?

unless he is saying the rotations don't change and the coaches bend their structure to the rotations? so you might be down a tall for a period of the game?

if you put it on steroids and take the WCE vs Geelong game, is he saying that the pre-planned rotations wouldn't be affected when you are down 3 players? or is it because its an outlier and unlikely event he didnt really discuss it?
Of course each game will be different, and of course injuries impact as they are by definition unplanned.
And of course, when the injuries occurred are important.
If the ruckman went down in the last, that’s not as significant as him going down in the first.
But we shouldn’t get too caught up in hypotheticals.
The thrust of what he was saying was that the game pace/style has a greater impact.
And that it is all data driven with little or no input from the head coach on game day.
The Bench Coach at Brisbane (Ben Hudson) is responsible for rotations.

We should take the win, we aren't getting pick 1.

IMO that's a good thing, for the record I think we can come home with a wet sail.

Bruce and Carlisle together after the bye we have some very winnable games.

Forget board challenges and sacking richo, let the season play out and make the call then.

Six of the last seven are at etihad and no one is unbeatable.

Last edited:
Posting a loss.

Hahhaha.

What debt is building? Current, non current?
Is it operating or capital debt?

What's the cashflow?

All might be true and bad, but to quote a sensationalist like Purple without all relevant information is misleading

Journalists are generally morons and he's one. That'd be far too complex and too much hard work for him.

It is interesting to read - I gather the science is backed up by stats showing a reduction in injuries? How do they calculate the base level (red line) for players? How does that equate to AFL which is such a ebb and flow game?

Gees that would restrict what you can do as a coach on game day. Is it any wonder Richo spends most games looking overwhelmed.

I can understand it applying to players with a history of hamstring issues or similiar, but otherwise I be wanting to let players go when the are playing well eg Paddy.
I cannot answer your questions as the interview did not go into such depth.
But if the predication is for 100% output from your players, you’d be wanting to rely on data to ensure that outcome.
Maybe that’s why it’s so data intensive.
WRT your last comment and per my earlier reply to luca77, that would be my “want” too.
Apparently this is one area that’s ruled by the boffins.

But the most important question is why are we even in this situation in regards to our midfield?

After a full rebuild since 2013 (when we already had Steven, Ross and Armitage) our core midfield group has only added Dunstan, Steele and Stevens. That is abysmal. We've added three slow, inside mids that can't really spread, kick or mark and that struggle to win a lot of contested footy. Dunstan and Steele are both young but Steele is worse this year and Dunstan is improving only very slowly. None are projecting to be elite.

I won't even go near the ruck situation.

Currently, our midfield following group is essentially just Steven, Ross, Dunstan and Steele. Only Steven can play forward with any potency and maybe you could play Ross on a wing. So if we wanted to rotate other players through there we have to move Steele to the wing or Dunstan to the backline or both to the bench.

It reflects very poorly on our coaching and list management group. They've built a shallow midfield with slow players who can't play anywhere else.

Agree completely. We draft half back flankers and then say they will become midfielders. Our recruiters r the worse and should be sacked as our list is in disarray with know potential to get excited about. Look at Collingwood who finished below us last year but have a midfield group we would die for. If we merged both midfields they would have 8 of the best ten players what an indictment. Don't get me started on the rest of the positions as only Webster and Carlisle have improved this year. Go Saints

I just went back and read some of the predictions thread, haha very interesting.

Levels of insanity over our situation are closely related to expectation by the look of it.

Salutary message for the club as they approach the trade season.

Absolutely must know where you are to trade and draft effectively.

Journalists are generally morons and he's one. That'd be far too complex and too much hard work for him.
Much easier to get clickbait yelling

Loss and Debt.

Without analysis it means less than zero but serves for certain agenda's

I just went back and read some of the predictions thread, haha very interesting.

Levels of insanity over our situation are closely related to expectation by the look of it.

Salutary message for the club as they approach the trade season.

Absolutely must know where you are to trade and draft effectively.

I predicted we'd miss finals, but I'm still disgusted at what has happened this year.

Those that dreamed of more must feel pretty cheated.

Watched Talking Footy last night and consensus around the table was
1. teams have slumps
2. Richo is a good coach and well regarded within the industry.
3. Time frame too short to make a sacking decision.
4. No one had Saints to make the 8
5. Disconnect between Summers comment top 4 and Finnis statement that we expected not to make 8.
6. Jake Carlisle who appeared on show highlighted nothing re above observations.

Have to say that Richo media performance last week or two has been excellent and many commentators not calling for his head......fellas are we over reacting and looking for a scape goat when there are much more tweeking required to lots of areas at the club and firing coach will not fix them.

The most apparent difference this year to last is the tackling pressure which is purely about player intent and commitment. That is between the ears and map that issue to its source
Leadership
Coaching
Wrong cattle and that's a start.

Hes one of the worst kicks for goal i have ever seen. So im not sure what else he can offer if that doesnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back