• Robert Harvey

Votes: 12 10.1%
  • Mark Thompson

Votes: 14 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that wasn't true when you posted it. As per any coach the guys not playing usually don't rate the coach and guys playing usually do unless you are Scott Watters. I spoke to Roo at a funeral less than 2 months ago and he was reasonability complimentary of Richo. Said there were other problems down there.
Yeah because he really wants to talk footy and bag someone at a funeral to some bloke doesn't know

COULD CLARKO SAVE THE SAINTS?

- Al Paton

FORMER St Kilda coach Grant Thomas has floated the idea of getting Alastair Clarkson to Moorabbin as he reveals his 'grave concern' for the Saints.

Thomas phoned St Kilda president Peter Summers to ask some hard questions about the direction of the club.

Speaking on the Sam, Mike and Thomo podcast, Thomas - who coached the Saints from 2001-06 - said he didn't demand Richardson be sacked after just one-and-a-half wins from 12 matches this season, but questioned if a former development coach was the right choice to lead them back up the ladder.

"I said I'm all for solidarity at our club because we make weak decisions and always have - we've only had one bit of solidarity in our whole 100-year history," he said.

"But you have to understand whether Richo is the right man for the job or not, you have to do the right analysis. And if he is the right man for the job, you have to then say, 'What do we have to put around him to make it work?'."

Thomas used Damien Hardwick and Nathan Buckley as examples of coaches who had turned their fortunes around with the right support, but said that didn't mean it was always the right path.

"It can happen but they first have to understand is he (Richardson) capable of getting to the level they need him to get to? If not they then have to make sure the person who supercedes him as coach has to be a no-brainer knockout success."

When co-host Mike Sheahan said there was no such thing as a guaranteed successful coach, Thomas said: "Yes, you can. You can appoint Alastair Clarkson. You can go to people who have actually performed and done it successfully.

"Richo's a development coach, that's what he was and he was great at that. Why do we get these people who are great at doing what they do and think they can run an organisation? That's the concern I have. You've got to make the right choices."

Thomas also put Summers on the spot.

"Pete indicated that he doesn't get involved in the footy because he's the president and I said, 'Well, Pete, if you're not going to be involved in the footy you may as well not be president, what's the point? You're in the premiership business and you're in charge of the club ... so every decision you make has to be to win a premiership. You can't be all care and no responsibility.

"I like Pete, he's a lovely guy. I think everyone down there is lovely and they're nice people and I think it makes it very very difficult to be too critical, but I think that's part of the problem."

This part resonated loud and clear to me. Choir boys from top to bottom.

"Pete indicated that he doesn't get involved in the footy because he's the president and I said, 'Well, Pete, if you're not going to be involved in the footy you may as well not be president, what's the point? You're in the premiership business and you're in charge of the club ... so every decision you make has to be to win a premiership. You can't be all care and no responsibility.

"I like Pete, he's a lovely guy. I think everyone down there is lovely and they're nice people and I think it makes it very very difficult to be too critical, but I think that's part of the problem."

This part resonated loud and clear to me. Choir boys from top to bottom.

So is he just agree to anything Finnis tells him ?

- Al Paton

FORMER St Kilda coach Grant Thomas has floated the idea of getting Alastair Clarkson to Moorabbin as he reveals his 'grave concern' for the Saints.

Thomas phoned St Kilda president Peter Summers to ask some hard questions about the direction of the club.

Speaking on the Sam, Mike and Thomo podcast, Thomas - who coached the Saints from 2001-06 - said he didn't demand Richardson be sacked after just one-and-a-half wins from 12 matches this season, but questioned if a former development coach was the right choice to lead them back up the ladder.

"I said I'm all for solidarity at our club because we make weak decisions and always have - we've only had one bit of solidarity in our whole 100-year history," he said.

"But you have to understand whether Richo is the right man for the job or not, you have to do the right analysis. And if he is the right man for the job, you have to then say, 'What do we have to put around him to make it work?'."

Thomas used Damien Hardwick and Nathan Buckley as examples of coaches who had turned their fortunes around with the right support, but said that didn't mean it was always the right path.

"It can happen but they first have to understand is he (Richardson) capable of getting to the level they need him to get to? If not they then have to make sure the person who supercedes him as coach has to be a no-brainer knockout success."

When co-host Mike Sheahan said there was no such thing as a guaranteed successful coach, Thomas said: "Yes, you can. You can appoint Alastair Clarkson. You can go to people who have actually performed and done it successfully.

"Richo's a development coach, that's what he was and he was great at that. Why do we get these people who are great at doing what they do and think they can run an organisation? That's the concern I have. You've got to make the right choices."

Cheers for this mate!

Watched Talking Footy last night and consensus around the table was
1. teams have slumps
2. Richo is a good coach and well regarded within the industry.
3. Time frame too short to make a sacking decision.
4. No one had Saints to make the 8
5. Disconnect between Summers comment top 4 and Finnis statement that we expected not to make 8.
6. Jake Carlisle who appeared on show highlighted nothing re above observations.

Have to say that Richo media performance last week or two has been excellent and many commentators not calling for his head......fellas are we over reacting and looking for a scape goat when there are much more tweeking required to lots of areas at the club and firing coach will not fix them.

The most apparent difference this year to last is the tackling pressure which is purely about player intent and commitment. That is between the ears and map that issue to its source
Leadership
Coaching
Wrong cattle and that's a start.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone likes the guy he is a good bloke! I think if anyone was in a position to know whether he can coach or not it is Roo & Monty. Its pretty obvious how they feel in recent times.

We all know in our own work place its much harder to part with someone who is well liked. Richo is well liked and respected throughout the industry because he never bucks the trend or takes issues or people on. I doubt very much he is respected because of his Senior Coaching abilities. Non St Kilda people are happy to see our club back as easy beats.

IMO Richo was a poor Senior coach from the outset and he has been given heaps of time and support to improve, but he just doesnt have it. Its like any form of leadership - some people thrive in the role and others dont. In Richo's situation we are discussing his competence and he has been out of his depth since day one and that remains the case.

Pelchen for all his chest beating has done an absolute number on our club. He was paid a kings ramsom $$$$$$ for a plan that failed dismally. Under his management we traded OUT and IN all the wrong players. We overlooked all the obvious players at draft picks and then he employed Richo. The one good thing he did was get rid of Watters.

He did the same before Finnis. He isn't that type of leader and I think its unfortunate.
More like disastrous imo.
Club is really struggling and need the president to stand up and be counted. He came out and held the axe above Richo which didn't help at all.
Westaway was more Alwaysaway and quiet as a mouse too.
We need someone with B@lls to take the mantle.

Bring on the challenge GT! This time no kokehead mates

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More like disastrous imo.
Club is really struggling and need the president to stand up and be counted. He came out and held the axe above Richo which didn't help at all.
Westaway was more Alwaysaway and quiet as a mouse too.
We need someone with B@lls to take the mantle.

Bring on the challenge GT! This time no kokehead mates
Gerry Ryan

- Al Paton

We’re on

Bob Cobb

- Al Paton

The comments re: Summers were damning. If that is true Summers is not the right guy for the job either.
Fancy a president not getting involved in the very aspect which determines the club's ultimate success. That's a bloody disgrace.

Feel sorry for Richo at times.

The team plays like a petulant teenager... enough ability and talent is there but they pick and choose when to put in maximum effort. 'Trying your best' is a minimum requirement. Saturday night was not even close.

We've completely embarrassed the club and our brand in the two 'showcase' Saints games this year being Good Friday and now the Pride Match. To be down in disposals and comprehensively bested in the tackle count at half time against Sydney is a disgrace.

We blame the coach because he's an easy scapegoat. It must be someone's fault and the convenient answer is that it's him.

My gut feel is we've really underestimated the loss of significant leadership. No Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster means no strong leaders in the changerooms and complacency has crept in over preseason and now into the season. In hindsight a one-year deal to a Montagna or Hodge should've been sought.

Regardless, the playing group need to have a good hard look in the mirror. Only they can work their way out of this. Careers are on the line and youngsters will be given a chance. Let's see whose prepared to do the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back