The clubs who don’t change their name for Indigenous round are white supremacists

Most racist club?

• Carlton Mussolinis

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Collingwood Skinheads

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Richmond Proud Bois

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Sydney White Pride

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Geelong Rednecks

• Essendon Bombers

• GWS Team orange

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast unser Kampf

• Western Stormfront

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Brisbane Hansons

• Hawthorn Brown Shirts

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 9 20.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Changing your name to an indigenous one for a week or two is virtue signaling at its worse what does it really achieve?

At Richmond we actually have a permanent indigenous academy to try and do something that might actually work.
“Virtue signaling” is an overused term, from cynical people with very little empathy to diminish the actions of others to mere symbolic acts.

Changing the names of clubs for 2 weeks gets people to recognise that there is an ancient culture whose lands we now enjoy. There are a people here who have made a great mark on this game and we do recognise them.

Try and diminish it all you want, but if there’s a few aboriginal kids out there who feel a bit more welcomed and respected because of these acts, and grow up with a bit more self respect and respect for their culture then I don’t think it’s a waste or a cynical exercise.

“Virtue signaling” is an overused term, from cynical people with very little empathy to diminish the actions of others to mere symbolic acts.

Changing the names of clubs for 2 weeks gets people to recognise that there is an ancient culture whose lands we now enjoy. There are a people here who have made a great mark on this game and we do recognise them.

Try and diminish it all you want, but if there’s a few aboriginal kids out there who feel a bit more welcomed and respected because of these acts, and grow up with a bit more self respect and respect for their culture then I don’t think it’s a waste or a cynical exercise.
triggeringintensifies.gif

Get real, it's for a few weeks so these minnow clubs can rack up the good guy points. They don't gaf about any cause, just like the tossers at the head of the AFL who come up with a new round gimmick every week.

Of course I'm cynical that's why I posted what I did about your clubs virtue signaling, so at least we agree on something.

Starting a thread to call other clubs that are possibly doing more to help in this area "white supremacists" shows you're more interested in getting a few likes on BF than actually doing anything positive, I think they call that virtue signaling?

It’s a nice gesture that clubs change their names to Aboriginal names but I have no issue if they don’t. I would much prefer clubs to be authentic and look after Aboriginal issues at a deeper level

Of course I'm cynical that's why I posted what I did about your clubs virtue signaling, so at least we agree on something.

Starting a thread to call other clubs that are possibly doing more to help in this area "white supremacists" shows you're more interested in getting a few likes on BF than actually doing anything positive, I think they call that virtue signaling?
You’re just an old man who has no experience with Indigenous issue and have probably never lifted a finger to help anyone.

Yet you’re quick to find fault with people doing good work and try to tear down positive actions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So dump the pollution somewhere else and put all of the industries in the desert. :rolleyes:
warming coal city il GIF

Hear, hear.

Dickheads wouldn't even know "Virtue signalling" if they didn't have Rupert's propaganda machine plugged into their veins.

Apparently acknowledging the existence and impact of Indigenous culture on a game they purport to love is a scary, scary prospect getting "shoved down their throats".

Lord forbid people feel recognised in the game their culture created.

Starting a thread to call other clubs that are possibly doing more to help in this area "white supremacists"

It’s called trolling, welcome to the Bay is this your first post?

It’s a nice gesture that clubs change their names to Aboriginal names but I have no issue if they don’t. I would much prefer clubs to be authentic and look after Aboriginal issues at a deeper level

It’s not binary, they can do both

Mathew stokes hits it hard, leaves no crumbs.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05...medium=content_shared&utm_source=abc_news_web

MATTHEW STOKES, FORMER AFL PLAYER: I think it's harder. These days clubs are trying to look at no risk and I think sometimes, unfortunately, the way that footy departments are set up, and even recruiting and even AFL itself are tailored to making sure that the risk is sort of, pushed it aside a little bit or, or the players who might be challenged or have challenges don't get the opportunity they should.

I've worked in and around the industry for nearly 18 years. And you can kind of see that the decline of the mainstream talent pathways was always going to affect the numbers that we got drafted.

We put more detail or more time into the fluffy stuff around the industry. I mean, you know, our Indigenous jumpers you know, our welcome to countries, instead of the actual what really needs to change, and that's the actions and education piece around that, to enable our industry to keep keeping, give a safe space for our players to be able to grow and get the best out of themselves.

A tad bit sad that the national broadcaster can't spell Mathew's name correctly.

Changing your name to an indigenous one for a week or two is virtue signaling at its worse what does it really achieve?
It normalises the local Aboriginal name for the area (or in the case of Kuwarna, for their mascot), thereby ensuring part of the culture makes it to wider attention. The same culture that colonists intentionally tried to kill off by separating children from their parents and forbidding the Aboriginal languages from being spoken.

At Richmond we actually have a permanent indigenous academy to try and do something that might actually work.
Big round of applause. But do you think that's the only thing that can help Aboriginal people? Or might there be some other things that strengthen them as a people beyond just playing footy?

It normalises the local Aboriginal name for the area (or in the case of Kuwarna, for their mascot), thereby ensuring part of the culture makes it to wider attention. The same culture that colonists intentionally tried to kill off by separating children from their parents and forbidding the Aboriginal languages from being spoken.

Big round of applause. But do you think that's the only thing that can help Aboriginal people? Or might there be some other things that strengthen them as a people beyond just playing footy?
This one is triggered^

Back