Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really see why that should have been the main priority tbh.
Nobody had ever done it before, so we were going to do it. It was celebrating what we were good at if you really wanted to dig into the why.

He’s on 1m a year, will have played two years well below his best and you’re acting like he is free of all blame. Absolutely insane take.
Did I say he was free of all blame? I said he self inflicted his own fat and forgettable 2024. It’s a far cry from wanting him traded. He is an elite footballer. I’d be suggesting that before we start trading out Oliver (and for what exactly?) we go into the coaching personnel and put them square in the gun.

You MIGHT just discover that a different coaching style and gameplan would work totally fine with Oliver fitting in pretty nicely being the elite footballer he is. It’s obvious after a 92 point loss that Goodwin and his cronies have lost the players and are not getting message across. I’d be pretty focused on getting him under the gun which means some assisting coaching contracts should be torn up.

I am not absolving him of blame. I am not ‘acting’ like he is. For you to arrive at that juncture is, by your definition, ‘an insane take’. He hasn’t made good choices but he can redeem himself and I am sure he will. Like I said, happy to concede if things don’t change by next year.

Last edited:

Same guy who said getting Oliver back before finals was going to be "huge for us" last year and it absolutely wasnt. Now that he's literally huge, not his fault , leave him alone. 😂
Oh wow. You’ve got a crystal ball I can look into? Apologies for suggesting that an elite midfielder might be very helpful come finals.

Read the whole comment again mate.

Just for you, because despite arguments, I think you're a reasonable bloke:

Goodwin likes to push players hard in terms of injuries and coming back from them.
Burgess seems to be an absolute gun at balancing that philosophy.
Selwyn doesn't seem to be as good at managing that balance.

This is one part of "managing injuries", it's not the totality of it, but within the context of our coach and selections it's become a big factor in terms of our performance.

If we're going to just pick out the bits we want to out of context and with no proper understanding, then I like the bit where you said, and I quote:

Bluelegs: "I can't grasp your point"
Yeah so you're basically saying Burgess was better at managing injuries in the context of working specifically with Goodwin and Griffith just can't replicate the same magic. I think this is a pretty shoddy argument based on one exceptional season where we didn't have any injuries which has been the point I've been reiterating this entire time.

Even if it were true then Goodwin should not be expecting the same results from Griffith, driving players into the ground every single year because it all came together in one.

Even if it were true then Goodwin should not be expecting the same results from Griffith, driving players into the ground every single year because it all came together in one.
Eddie Murphy Laughing GIF

one exceptional season where we didn't have any injuries

Did we not have any injuries, or was Burgess just great at managing the balance?

Rhetorical of course, you wouldn't know.

Which makes your argument just as "shoddy".

I want to bring Burgo back. No Burgo no flags like I've always said.

How many flags did we win while Burgo was here and how many have we won since he left?

That's specious reasoning Dad

Thank you honey

By your logic I can claim the CFL keeps the Tigers in the bottom 4

Err how does it work?

It doesn't

Ah ha

They are a legitimately bad team

Ah ha

But I don't see the Tigers winning games do you?

Lisa, I want you to take this money and bribe the CFL so we can win a final at the MCG.

Eddie Murphy Laughing GIF

Did we not have any injuries, or was Burgess just great at managing the balance?

Rhetorical of course, you wouldn't know.

Which makes your argument just as "shoddy".

Are you actually suggesting we played blokes through injury but Burgess was so good at his job that we didn't even know about it? What does 'managing the balance' actually mean?

I think you can look at Burgess being unable to replicate the same results at Adelaide or in his previous roles and make a pretty strong argument that 2021 was an outlier, and that had he remained at our club he would not have been able to recapture those same results. I think it's shoddy to suggest that Goodwin being a coach who likes to drive players through injury had anything to do with that result. Burgess isn't telling Nicks that players are good to go only to have Nicks say they need another few weeks on the sidelines.

Are you actually suggesting we played blokes through injury but Burgess was so good at his job that we didn't even know about it? What does 'managing the balance' actually mean?

Oh man. Just when I thought we were making progress.

I think you can look at Burgess being unable to replicate the same results at Adelaide or in his previous roles and make a pretty strong argument that 2021 was an outlier, and that had he remained at our club he would not have been able to recapture those same results. I think it's shoddy to suggest that Goodwin being a coach who likes to drive players through injury had anything to do with that result. Burgess isn't telling Nicks that players are good to go only to have Nicks say they need another few weeks on the sidelines.

Lol ok, my arguments are shoddy but you can predict the outcome of imaginary future scenarios. Cool.

Have a good one.

Clearly we need to sack Goodwin and reunite Selwyn Griffith with Chris Fagan so we never have an injury again. :rainbow:

No no, we've already moved on from that - Burgess was going to ruin us had he stayed any longer, and he was also going to be responsible for developing the microchip that lead to the creation of Cyberdyne Systems and the rise of the machines. Fortunately, Bluelegs was sent back from the future to prevent us from bringing Burgess back by posting on BigFooty.

Hasta la vista, Burgo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to bring Burgo back. No Burgo no flags like I've always said.

How many flags did we win while Burgo was here and how many have we won since he left?

That's specious reasoning Dad

Thank you honey

By your logic I can claim the CFL keeps the Tigers in the bottom 4

Err how does it work?

It doesn't

Ah ha

They are a legitimately bad team

Ah ha

But I don't see the Tigers winning games do you?

Lisa, I want you to take this money and bribe the CFL so we can win a final at the MCG.
I say we forget our troubles with a big bowl of contest/defence.

Been quite a few dramatic turnarounds the last year or two? Voss was gone and a few months later Carlton bundled us out of finals being the main one. This year I feel like Freo, GCS maybe, Collingwood all found some form.

I'll get Simon Goodwin tattood on my face if we can do the same.
If you get goody, i'll get the Gina portrait on mine

Gaz saying the game plan has nothing to do with it OTC. Completely agree, bullshit made up by people who want to think they are the smartest guy in the room and give out excuses for a clear lack of effort and basic skill execution.

I respect Bucks. Pretty damning what he said this morning. Doubt he'd make a call like that without feeling like we look underdone in the fitness and strength department. Kind of backs up what we've said about Gus, Clarry and a few others who look out of shape or not strong enough. Pretty damning on the fitness staff and possibly the players as well not putting in.

Gaz saying the game plan has nothing to do with it OTC. Completely agree, bullshit made up by people who want to think they are the smartest guy in the room and give out excuses for a clear lack of effort and basic skill execution.

whatyamean our gameplan is clearly to lose the midfield every week

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back