Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

It now feels unfixable. I feel as though after winning a flag we just stopped playing to win and started playing not to lose. And that never ends well.

It feels like a million years ago since that round 23 match against Geelong where we came back from 250 Goals down and Max kicked the winner after the siren.

I hate myself for typing or even thinking this but in some ways I would like to see Petracca go. I feel sorry for him and it’s not as if we haven’t tried to kill him a couple of times now. Players like that you want to see spread their wings and fly, not drag around a ball and chain. It’s like hitching Pharlap to a dustcart.

I’m considering opening a Demonland account to share my thoughts on this.

Trac, Koz and Fritsch would be better players at other clubs, at this stage I'd be fine with them going
I wouldn't hold it against any of our forwards wanting to leave. They have gotten absolutely screwed in this. You've got supporters thinking they are the problem not the coach. Crazy.

Trac, Koz and Fritsch would be better players at other clubs, at this stage I'd be fine with them going
At least in the bad old days we were just ruining the joy of playing for solid VFL types so I didn’t feel so bad about it. Watching us stifle such gifted players is wearing me down.

I wouldn't hold it against any of our forwards wanting to leave. They have gotten absolutely screwed in this. You've got supporters thinking they are the problem not the coach. Crazy.
I wonder who is next? It feels very possible

I wouldn't either, imagine starving away trying to kick a grand total of 7 goals a game and then being abused by supporters.
Kozzy has as much talent as anyone in the league and never sniffed an AA. That's poor coaching.

I wonder who is next? It feels very possible
If I was Slick I'd absolutely be asking for a trade. Like you said above, he's been made to play a role that doesn't utilise his strengths, we are turning high level talent into role players to execute a boring outdated game plan. How can you possibly enjoy footy when you're not given the chance to do the things you do best?

Kozzy 100%
If he can announce this today then this will just wrap up a perfect week.

I do totally believe that ANB needs to return home which is why he is going. But I wonder how Trac feels when Nibbler asks for a trade and Melbourne are like “yeah totally we will help make that happen”. Petracca comes out with his thoughts on leaving - and what he gets is a weird message from the CEO posted on our website saying Petracca stays until 2029 and beyond.

Pert somehow made that sound like a threat.

Should be under pressure now honestly.
I know I've been Danstering on this point for a while but you have to at least respect the work the club have put in all year in controlling the narrative around what should happen when the year goes **** up.

All year, if the season isn't a success there'll be changes to assistant coaches. A couple of posters have been parroting the lines on repeat either as part of their job or just from repeat exposure to club PR. The whole clown cabal have been buying that extra year behind the assistant-meat-shield. Consent successfully manufactured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On The Couch this week they were asking, "how do you coach against this Geelong side?" Well, that's how.

A lot of people happy to sink the boots into Goodwin when things don't go our way, but we came in tonight with a clear plan to shut down their overlap game and their main movers (especially Stewart and Cameron) and executed it well. Coaching staff clearly deserve a lot of credit for that win. While it wasn't always pretty to watch, I'd prefer that to than losing. Hope all the posters here who were tugging themselves off at the prospect of losing 130-120 in 2018 style are crying themselves to sleep right now.

Thinking last night was a step in the right direction is very results orientated. It was a shitty arm wrestle, we turned the game into a 50/50 heading into a final quarter like we have done against good teams for the most part of the past two years, got the win this time, yay, we were definitely due if it's a 50/50 like I say. Glad you enjoyed the win tho JP2 . Shove it back in my face as the turning point in 6 months after weve won the flag or even made the grand final by all means. I'll remain sceptical til then.

Love going back over some of these. 🧠

After Round 0

Honestly when we play like this yeah I do want us to lose. I hate winning with this style absolutely despite it, was happy to collect my money in September and was happy the swans belted us in the last. Would rather us lose playing attacking than win playing this

After Round 1

This is very very much a hold performance. Not forgiven for the shit last week and not out the woods yet.

We looked great against the dogs and Sydney last year aswell before they fell apart. Give me more than 1 half decent game pls

Its strange to me how people can watch a game and think weve changed just because the coaches told them we have.

Why the **** are you guys wishing your best players would leave?

What the hell is going on?

Goodwins biggest crime has been his handling of Ben Brown and Schache.

I've unfortunately seen what your best footbal looks like. It's not JVR flying for contested grabs and keeping the oppositions best defender close to goal.

It's Ben Brown running hard out if the forward line forcing the opposition to kick to a long contest and May/Lever cutting it off and it coming back into an open forward line with one of your forwards in the f50 all by himself. Fritsch has made a career out of it. It's no surprise he's had his worst year with Brown not playing his decoy role.

I've unfortunately seen what your best footbal looks like. It's not JVR flying for contested grabs and keeping the oppositions best defender close to goal.

It's Ben Brown running hard out if the forward line forcing the opposition to kick to a long contest and May/Lever cutting it off and it coming back into an open forward line with one of your forwards in the f50 all by himself. Fritsch has made a career out of it. It's no surprise he's had his worst year with Brown not playing his decoy role.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

1723551162467.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back