Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I've unfortunately seen what your best footbal looks like. It's not JVR flying for contested grabs and keeping the oppositions best defender close to goal.

It's Ben Brown running hard out if the forward line forcing the opposition to kick to a long contest and May/Lever cutting it off and it coming back into an open forward line with one of your forwards in the f50 all by himself. Fritsch has made a career out of it. It's no surprise he's had his worst year with Brown not playing his decoy role.
I get and agree with what youre saying about Fritsch needing to be closer to goal and given space inside 50 but the rest is absolute nonsense. We have far more issues than missing a washed up Ben Brown who cant move.

He's got a point though. I'd be shattered if we lost Trac or Koz.
Who wants to lose either of those two, though? That was the original point made by the Dogs' poster

Who wants to lose either of those two, though? That was the original point made by the Dogs' poster

Er… think I might have said something about preferring to see Trac be the player he should be than ruined by our game plan.

And that sort of moved to a more general discussion about players on our list that would look better almost anywhere else and that started with Koz, went on to Fritta and then pretty much took into consideration most of the team…

I've unfortunately seen what your best footbal looks like. It's not JVR flying for contested grabs and keeping the oppositions best defender close to goal.

It's Ben Brown running hard out if the forward line forcing the opposition to kick to a long contest and May/Lever cutting it off and it coming back into an open forward line with one of your forwards in the f50 all by himself. Fritsch has made a career out of it. It's no surprise he's had his worst year with Brown not playing his decoy role.
That was years ago.

Ben Brown can't run anymore, hence why he isn't playing.

The forward line is a shambles - always congested, no real leads (and on the rare occasion we do lead, the boneheaded mids kick it over their heads or to a contest).

The mids can no longer win the ball and distribute effectively. We get hack kicks over the shoulder from Oliver or hospital handpasses. None of them know how to kick into the forward 50, and only ANB knows what defensive running is.

The back line is still good, but the stars are ageing. It's also constantly under siege because we press up too high and give the opposition easy turnovers that find our defenders out of position.

This is 2024 Melbourne. The Goody way.

That was years ago.

Ben Brown can't run anymore, hence why he isn't playing.

The forward line is a shambles - always congested, no real leads (and on the rate occasion we do lead, the boneheaded mids kick it over their heads or to a contest).

The mids can longer win the ball and distribute effectively. We get hack kicks over the shoulder from Oliver or hospital handpasses. None of them know how to kick into the forward 50, and only ANB knows what defensive running is.

The back line is still good, but the stars are ageing. It's also constantly under siege because we press up too high and give the opposition easy turnovers that find our defenders out of position.

This is 2024 Melbourne. The Goody way.
Otherwise things are going pretty well though

Definitely been a tough couple of weeks but Gawn re-signed; viney re-signed; didn’t even know this but homesick petty re-signed. And just to make it a bit sweeter the young 3 headed monster kicked 10 goals on the weekend. A bit awkward for Trac wanting to go pies and now having to retrac but that’s ok. Welcome back buddy. Remember frawley and Howe just walking out and it was no worries. Not anymore. Goody’s got pull and the group is invested

Definitely been a tough couple of weeks but Gawn re-signed; viney re-signed; didn’t even know this but homesick petty re-signed. And just to make it a bit sweeter the young 3 headed monster kicked 10 goals on the weekend. A bit awkward for Trac wanting to go pies and now having to retrac but that’s ok. Welcome back buddy. Remember frawley and Howe just walking out and it was no worries. Not anymore. Goody’s got pull and the group is invested
I want your outlook my friend, for all the wrong reasons

I blame Tom Morris and Tim Lamb for all the drama :)

I can see ANB leaving and few delistings of spuds and that's about it. Maybe a scapegoat in the coaches box and we go again next year. All this talk about culture issues seems to be mostly BS by the sound of it.

All this talk about culture issues seems to be mostly BS by the sound of it.
You could easily make the argument that giving out excessive extensions to sway old players to stay would indicate otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was once a bit of a Goody hater but I've seen the light now. The poor bastard has been held hostage by Tim Lambs iron grip on recruiting power all this time.

Leave Goody alone!
Once again, if you think Goody didn't sign off on these sorts of list decisions I have a bridge to sell you. It's a collaboration. Would be something along the lines of: "Lamby, Jack is a Melbourne player, I don't care what it takes to keep him but he has to stay"

Once again, if you think Goody didn't sign off on these sorts of list decisions I have a bridge to sell you. It's a collaboration. Would be something along the lines of: "Lamby, Jack is a Melbourne player, I don't care what it takes to keep him but he has to stay"

Classic Goody being responsible for coaching, recruitment, cooking, HR and marketing argument again.

I blame Tom Morris and Tim Lamb for all the drama :)

I can see ANB leaving and few delistings of spuds and that's about it. Maybe a scapegoat in the coaches box and we go again next year. All this talk about culture issues seems to be mostly BS by the sound of it.
Nibblers been an absolute redleg legend and the club has treated his request to go home with absolute mutual respect. Media should be praising us for the relationship but nope, doesn’t fit the narrative. They hate smaller clubs you know

Classic Goody being responsible for coaching, recruitment, cooking, HR and marketing argument again.
What part of collaboration don't you understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back