Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm posting too many times in a row here, but anyway...

I think what Trac is most annoyed about in all this is there's no respect for the mental side of injury recovery.

The club being weird about Trac after his injury saying he could be back for finals, and then Trac saying no on his socials and then deleting it was a bit jarring. I don't think we gave any respect to Trac's mental wellbeing after going through a life-threatening injury.

I think he would've been fine about going back on because that was the information at hand, if we then took it seriously after and said this guy is going to take time to recover and we're going to focus on supporting that.

Whether it's resilience or Goody just being mr foootball and thinking that's priority, regardless I can see why both Trac would feel un-cared for and Angus wouldn't want to be around.

There's plenty of messages around from Goody to the previous doctor about pushing Angus to play when he still had concussion symptoms. That hasn't been linked to the Trac situation yet, but I think it should be.

We've seen from selection plenty of times that players are forced out there before they should be. That worked one time that's visible with May in the GF, but 99 times out of 100 forcing a player back before they're physically & mentally ready will hurt the team and break down the player over time.

Goody's game-plan sucks and so does his ability to manage the mental health of injured players.

You make some great points. Could easily explain what's happened.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm posting too many times in a row here, but anyway...

I think what Trac is most annoyed about in all this is there's no respect for the mental side of injury recovery.

The club being weird about Trac after his injury saying he could be back for finals, and then Trac saying no on his socials and then deleting it was a bit jarring. I don't think we gave any respect to Trac's mental wellbeing after going through a life-threatening injury.

I think he would've been fine about going back on because that was the information at hand, if we then took it seriously after and said this guy is going to take time to recover and we're going to focus on supporting that.

Whether it's resilience or Goody just being mr foootball and thinking that's priority, regardless I can see why both Trac would feel un-cared for and Angus wouldn't want to be around.

There's plenty of messages around from Goody to the previous doctor about pushing Angus to play when he still had concussion symptoms. That hasn't been linked to the Trac situation yet, but I think it should be.

We've seen from selection plenty of times that players are forced out there before they should be. That worked one time that's visible with May in the GF, but 99 times out of 100 forcing a player back before they're physically & mentally ready will hurt the team and break down the player over time.

Goody's game-plan sucks and so does his ability to manage the mental health of injured players.
I think the point around the resilience and playing through injury is a very good one. Great that May could play the GF on a torn hammy, but it's convinced Goody/footy dept/whoever else at the club that playing through injury is less risky than it really is. We've been pushing basically the same group of players to get up every week or come back asap after injury and it's taken its toll.

As a club we seem to have prioritised stability above all else in the hope it'd get us another flag - relying on the same core players, even if they're cooked; using the same gameplan and style despite repeated failure; refusing to look too much into the culture questions. Need some campaigner to realise change is a positive and they should try it sometime.

I get the risk in a GF but let's not forget Trac struggling through sickness a few years ago, playing with a broken leg in finals, Oliver playing shit all season injured, Viney playing with a stuffed shoulder, Max rushing back from injury, May playing a week after smashing his eye socket and then his ribs, Spargo rushed back, Smith rushed back, Petty played unfit, Salem rushed back etc. Pattern of behaviour at the club.

I get the risk in a GF but let's not forget Trac struggling through sickness a few years ago, playing with a broken leg in finals, Oliver playing shit all season injured, Viney playing with a stuffed shoulder, Max rushing back from injury, May playing a week after smashing his eye socket and then his ribs, Spargo rushed back, Smith rushed back, Petty played unfit, Salem rushed back etc. Pattern of behaviour at the club.

Goes back to 2017, Goodys first year when we rushed back Viney and Gawn (Viney re-injured his foot in his first game back lol).

I don't post on the Demons board here much (usually keep my Demons posting to Demonland). I have only read the last two pages of this thread and it has made me reconsider my stance on Goodwin - I've always been a supporter and point to the fact the players seem to love him and he is a system coach who isn't strong on making in game adjustments. But reading through the last couple of pages on here I am starting to come around that he might actually be part of the problem with what's gone on since the flag.

Credit to him, he did actually deliver a flag to this wretched club which is a huge achievement in itself but he may have achieved that in spite of himself and on the back of Burgess's fitness regime. Our main strength in '21 was running over teams in the 2nd half which was solely down to fitness not half-time adjustments.

There are plenty of good posters on Demonland but way too many cheerleader nuffies who think the club can do no wrong.

Last edited:

This is a massive issue at the club; whether it comes from Goody or the sports science team or wherever, it needs fixing. And that's even before the Trac drama emerged.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are pretty controversy free. No current players on drugs or wanting a trade.
Or a a poor excuse for a coach with his head either in the sand or up his backside Or admin that have made residency in delusion-land. Or a Forum board full of defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the real world goodys probably the most successful coach we’ve had in 60 years. Now if someone has proper statistics to prove me wrong then all good.

In the real world goodys probably the most successful coach we’ve had in 60 years. Now if someone has proper statistics to prove me wrong then all good.
I think we can do better CNDee.

He's also the first coach in AFL history to lead a team to consecutive straight sets finals exits.

As I've said many times, grateful for the flag (though I give more credit to the star players that carried us than I do to him), but what about his coaching since has inspired you?

Is it the stale gameplan that hasn't evolved with the state of the game? Is it the monotonous low scores? Is it the way he makes players play through injuries/rushes them back? Is it his off-field conduct? Is it the way he picks his inner circle of favourite players no matter what? Is it the arrogance and disdain shown towards anybody who questions him? Is it our star players wanting out?

Thrilled that the players have a coach they reportedly get along with. Unfortunately, it's a performance-based industry, and there is nothing about his performance in recent times that inspires me—or many others—whatsoever.

He's also the first coach in AFL history to lead a team to consecutive straight sets finals exits.

As I've said many times, grateful for the flag (though I give more credit to the star players that carried us than I do to him), but what about his coaching since has inspired you?

Is it the stale gameplan that hasn't evolved with the state of the game? Is it the monotonous low scores? Is it the way he makes players play through injuries/rushes them back? Is it his off-field conduct? Is it the way he picks his inner circle of favourite players no matter what? Is it the arrogance and disdain shown towards anybody who questions him? Is it our star players wanting out?

Thrilled that the players have a coach they reportedly get along with. Unfortunately, it's a performance-based industry, and there is nothing about his performance in recent times that inspires me—or many others—whatsoever.
Plus he has his favourites and as a coach you can't have any. Also too many enablers/yes-men

Wow there cowboy. Firstly you’re not grateful for the flag, that’s obvious. I think he’s done a really good job holding the team together. I look at us at goshs paddock vs pies across the road and think we’re lucky to have this crew that accept where they are but thrive off it. That’s what smaller clubs and even smaller work places need to do, build ownership and appreciation of the individuals efforts and to me he’s done that. We were very unlucky last year but that’s life. Too many on here bag but then have no solution. It’s weirder than Trac. It’s footy ffs. Back your team

Agree blueleg. Where would you start?
Said it a bit over the past week but the Admin needs to change for a start. Independent review should start there but that group seem to be a consolidated group of mates. The board should be made up of passionate supporters who are also competent professionals. Hold an election, get the supporters excited about the future and allow us to actually get to know who is going to be running the club.

Pert has to go. He's in the top job and the club is imploding before our eyes. Find a better CEO.

Footy department needs a total overhaul. Start with a new footy boss give them a mandate to rebuild the list and find a coach who understands the modern game. Whoever that is, give them the reigns to find the assistants who suit them. The new footy boss can go through the rest of the dept and cut out the deadwood and replace them where needed. That may take a couple of years with the soft cap restrictions but that's okay as we'll be in rebuild mode anyway.

Trade Petracca and Oliver and any other player who has been ****ing around behind the scenes. Take on whatever we can from the Oliver contract in the first year or two and try and get a half decent pick for him. Would give us a decent draft haul to play with. Give those picks to Jason Taylor and go from there.

Try to hold onto Kozzy. He's young and I'm not sure it's a lost cause.

Wow there cowboy. Firstly you’re not grateful for the flag, that’s obvious. I think he’s done a really good job holding the team together. I look at us at goshs paddock vs pies across the road and think we’re lucky to have this crew that accept where they are but thrive off it. That’s what smaller clubs and even smaller work places need to do, build ownership and appreciation of the individuals efforts and to me he’s done that. We were very unlucky last year but that’s life. Too many on here bag but then have no solution. It’s weirder than Trac. It’s footy ffs. Back your team
Are you sure you're not from D'land?

Is your head jammed so far up your ass your stomach lining is burning through your eye balls? How the **** are you not paying attention to what's happening right now

Firstly you’re not grateful for the flag, that’s obvious
You can be grateful for something and still expect a level of future performance and professionalism, they're not mutually exclusive. But sure, he won one flag – he must be the greatest coach ever and is immune from criticism as a result.

I think he’s done a really good job holding the team together
Is that why we have multiple star players wanting to leave?

We were very unlucky last year but that’s life
How do you figure? Was it the way we went out in straight sets at home exactly the way we did the year before? Don't say injuries, all clubs have them. And please don't say 'expected scores', or I'll just end the conversation here. We took an outdated gameplan to the finals and lost to Collingwood and Carlton in a near identical manner to the way in which we've lost to other finals-calibre teams over the past 2.5 years.

It’s footy ffs. Back your team
Parochialism helps nobody. You can be a supporter and still expect better from your team – being a 'fan' doesn't mean blindly accepting every little thing the club does. I remain objective, and have tried to create a culture on here where objectivity is encouraged. If you want endless kool-aid drinking, head over to Demonland (though you'll find that even they are livid at the moment, which shows just how rotten the club is presently).

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back