Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it a bit over the past week but the Admin needs to change for a start. Independent review should start there but that group seem to be a consolidated group of mates. The board should be made up of passionate supporters who are also competent professionals. Hold an election, get the supporters excited about the future and allow us to actually get to know who is going to be running the club.

Pert has to go. He's in the top job and the club is imploding before our eyes. Find a better CEO.

Footy department needs a total overhaul. Start with a new footy boss give them a mandate to rebuild the list and find a coach who understands the modern game. Whoever that is, give them the reigns to find the assistants who suit them. The new footy boss can go through the rest of the dept and cut out the deadwood and replace them where needed. That may take a couple of years with the soft cap restrictions but that's okay as we'll be in rebuild mode anyway.

Trade Petracca and Oliver and any other player who has been ****ing around behind the scenes. Take on whatever we can from the Oliver contract in the first year or two and try and get a half decent pick for him. Would give us a decent draft haul to play with. Give those picks to Jason Taylor and go from there.

Try to hold onto Kozzy. He's young and I'm not sure it's a lost cause.
Good points. With the position we find ourselves in a quick rebuild makes sense too. I think the kozzy scenario is the media taking the piss. I don’t think he’s going anywhere

Good points. With the position we find ourselves in a quick rebuild makes sense too. I think the kozzy scenario is the media taking the piss. I don’t think he’s going anywhere
Even if what Kozzy was saying turns out to be innocuous, it's pretty shit the contents of so many of our exit meetings with players have been leaked and I don't blame any player who has lost faith with the club over the dirty laundry being run in the media. There are clearly people at every level of the club hierarchy trying to run agendas through the media it's disgraceful and unprofessional.

Another massive issue we need to sort out.

l

Even if what Kozzy was saying turns out to be innocuous, it's pretty shit the contents of so many of our exit meetings with players have been leaked and I don't blame any player who has lost faith with the club over the dirty laundry being run in the media. There are clearly people at every level of the club hierarchy trying to run agendas through the media it's disgraceful and unprofessional.

The kozzy scenario will be ironed out soon enough. AFL clubs are full of people that are sieves. It’s how you club and player handle a rumour that counts.

The kozzy scenario will be ironed out soon enough. AFL clubs are full of people that are sieves. It’s how you club and player handle a rumour that counts.
Having leaks is normal, having a blow by blow of every private conversation happening within the club is not.

In the real world goodys probably the most successful coach we’ve had in 60 years. Now if someone has proper statistics to prove me wrong then all good.
We are currently unwatchable.

Not the stats you were seeking, but do you really disagree?

You can be grateful for something and still expect a level of future performance and professionalism, they're not mutually exclusive. But sure, he won one flag – he must be the greatest coach ever and is immune from criticism as a result.

Is that why we have multiple star players wanting to leave?

How do you figure? Was it the way we went out in straight sets at home exactly the way we did the year before? Don't say injuries, all clubs have them. And please don't say 'expected scores', or I'll just end the conversation here. We took an outdated gameplan to the finals and lost to Collingwood and Carlton in a near identical manner to the way in which we've lost to other finals-calibre teams over the past 2.5 years.

Parochialism helps nobody. You can be a supporter and still expect better from your team – being a 'fan' doesn't mean blindly accepting every little thing the club does. I remain objective, and have tried to create a culture on here where objectivity is encouraged. If you want endless kool-aid drinking, head over to Demonland (though you'll find that even they are livid at the moment, which shows just how rotten the club is presently).
Scythe, just on last point, appreciate the work you put in here for bums like myself and tk but the culture on here could be a bit better and I’ll put my hand up there. Same time good job and really enjoy the banter

Said it a bit over the past week but the Admin needs to change for a start. Independent review should start there but that group seem to be a consolidated group of mates. The board should be made up of passionate supporters who are also competent professionals. Hold an election, get the supporters excited about the future and allow us to actually get to know who is going to be running the club.

Pert has to go. He's in the top job and the club is imploding before our eyes. Find a better CEO.

Footy department needs a total overhaul. Start with a new footy boss give them a mandate to rebuild the list and find a coach who understands the modern game. Whoever that is, give them the reigns to find the assistants who suit them. The new footy boss can go through the rest of the dept and cut out the deadwood and replace them where needed. That may take a couple of years with the soft cap restrictions but that's okay as we'll be in rebuild mode anyway.

Trade Petracca and Oliver and any other player who has been ****ing around behind the scenes. Take on whatever we can from the Oliver contract in the first year or two and try and get a half decent pick for him. Would give us a decent draft haul to play with. Give those picks to Jason Taylor and go from there.

Second the motion for Bluelegs

He's also the first coach in AFL history to lead a team to consecutive straight sets finals exits.

As I've said many times, grateful for the flag (though I give more credit to the star players that carried us than I do to him), but what about his coaching since has inspired you?

Is it the stale gameplan that hasn't evolved with the state of the game? Is it the monotonous low scores? Is it the way he makes players play through injuries/rushes them back? Is it his off-field conduct? Is it the way he picks his inner circle of favourite players no matter what? Is it the arrogance and disdain shown towards anybody who questions him? Is it our star players wanting out?

Thrilled that the players have a coach they reportedly get along with. Unfortunately, it's a performance-based industry, and there is nothing about his performance in recent times that inspires me—or many others—whatsoever.

Bravo

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trading Oliver and taking on a bunch of his contract makes a ton of sense now, we are going to have a lot of cap room so might as well effectively try and buy a pick or two.

Trading Oliver and taking on a bunch of his contract makes a ton of sense now, we are going to have a lot of cap room so might as well effectively try and buy a pick or two.
Other thing is if both he and Trac go I expect a few players will want their contracts renegotiated. Feel this may be the case with Pickett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the real world goodys probably the most successful coach we’ve had in 60 years. Now if someone has proper statistics to prove me wrong then all good.
60% of the time, we suck 100% of the time

My suspicion, unfortunately, is that a good number of the leaks are coming from players which is a massive concern.

All the fuss over “brand Petracca” and so forth surely couldn’t have come from the higher ups? I mean they wanted to keep him at Melbourne and finally seemed to sus out that he has been struggling emotionally. Launching attacks like that wouldn’t be the best strategy to achieve that outcome I would have thought? Mind you we are pretty stupid so who knows

I suspect a fair number of the leaks are coming from players which is concerning. Surely the fuss over “brand Petracca” can’t have come from higher up?

I mean, they wanted to keep Petracca and finally sussed that he is struggling emotionally. Launching attacks in the media on him doesn’t seem the best way to go about it? Mind you, we are pretty stupid.

I suspect a fair number of the leaks are coming from players which is concerning. Surely the fuss over “brand Petracca” can’t have come from higher up?

I mean, they wanted to keep Petracca and finally sussed that he is struggling emotionally. Launching attacks in the media on him doesn’t seem the best way to go about it? Mind you, we are pretty stupid.
on the footy show today they asked Damo where the whole 'Brand' thing came from, and he basically said it came from Petracca himself.
things have been badly handled from both sides imo.

on the footy show today they asked Damo where the whole 'Brand' thing came from, and he basically said it came from Petracca himself.
things have been badly handled from both sides imo.
Really?

Yeah maybe he didn’t realise that it might attract negative attention

My suspicion, unfortunately, is that a good number of the leaks are coming from players which is a massive concern.

All the fuss over “brand Petracca” and so forth surely couldn’t have come from the higher ups? I mean they wanted to keep him at Melbourne and finally seemed to sus out that he has been struggling emotionally. Launching attacks like that wouldn’t be the best strategy to achieve that outcome I would have thought? Mind you we are pretty stupid

All the fuss over “brand Petracca” and so forth surely couldn’t have come from the higher ups? I mean they wanted to keep him at Melbourne and finally seemed to sus out that he has been struggling emotionally. Launching attacks like that wouldn’t be the best strategy to achieve that outcome I would have thought? Mind you we are pretty stupid so who knows
Don’t know gander. I think in tracs statement it says something on the lines of he makes no apologies for wanting to make the club better, so if he thinks the last 3 weeks have made Melbourne better and his team mates better then you can read in to it as you wish

Don’t know gander. I think in tracs statement it says something on the lines of he makes no apologies for wanting to make the club better, so if he thinks the last 3 weeks have made Melbourne better and his team mates better then you can read in to it as you wish
Proof will be seen for all soon enough. Sacking everyone and trading all our good players won't solve all the problems. Either will just sacking the forward coach. There clearly needs to be changes. Most of us have been calling for it since end of 22. We can see what issues there are on field, and I have no faith in Goodwin or Lamb to fix them. But internally it's hard to know the exact issues. Not sure we'll ever know, but clearly change of some sort needs to happen here. And securing a home base is surely #1 priority. Geelong are getting endless government grants. We're still sharing weights with 3 different codes and driving an hour out of the city to train at arguably the windiest part of the State.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis The Coach – Simon 'Standard Practice' Goodwin: It's time to go (for real this time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back