Rumour The dynasty is gaining momentum

Remove this Banner Ad

I always thought Fyfe seemed quite articulate when interviewed (note: comparing only with other footballers). I've seen him give the interviewer a few acid looks on occasion, when asked a stupid (sports reporter) question. While i'm sure he's not a genius, i certainly wouldn't call him stupid. could easily see him being captain in a couple of years. but considering how de boer goes this year and next, he might be the best option. he looks like the kind of guy that would really relish the opportunity, would love the challenge etc.

Strikes me as dopey and very relaxed in a country guy kind of way.

You don't have to be a genious to be a helicopter pilot either, but then you don't need to be that smart to be a lawyer. Its just the sense you get when you listen to De Boer speak, he speaks with more depth than Fyfe.

I never really rated Hird as a captain for that matter. To have a really good captain you need the kind of guy who puts his head over the ball and will iron someone out if need be. Really, on the football field you are just looking for a guy to look up to.

For my quid, Fyfe has the kind of natural, god given talent that few people have. He works hard, but he has the genetics and ability few people have. De Boer on the other hand looks like the kind of guy who built his game from the ground up.

You don't rate Pav then?

You don't rate Pav then?

Pav's work ethic is very underrated he prepares extremely well and sets the standard on the training track, and his man management skills have improved in the years he has been captain. But he grew into it.

I would say Fyfe is more naturally talented/freakish compared to Pav. Pav is a big unit who works hard but he isn't the kind of natural fyfe is. That is no slight on Pav, but Fyfe is a freak and noone should bother copying him.

De Boer could be leading the front from day one.

Strikes me as dopey and very relaxed in a country guy kind of way.

You don't have to be a genious to be a helicopter pilot either, but then you don't need to be that smart to be a lawyer. Its just the sense you get when you listen to De Boer speak, he speaks with more depth than Fyfe.
Genious, hey?

I do agree with the quoted text. He just seems very calculated and effortless when he speaks. When you listen to captains of other footy clubs, someone like Chris Judd or even Pavlich, they seem to be really controlling in the manner they speak. They have a very confident aura and it's audible in their speech. They pronounce things in a very strong manner. Fyfe is a hugely capable speaker, but he's just extremely relaxed and doesn't have that dominating tone. It's hard to describe. You know when Fyfe kicks a goal from the pocket on his opposite foot? Or just springs into the air to grab the footy? It always looks absurdly effortless and easy, but it's certainly not elementary. That's how he speaks. That's his entire demeanour, I find.
De Boer is my favourite for the next captain. The guy has a friendly attitude or something as well. He's an alluring, respect-garnering speaker and a champ on the field. You summed him up best: A blue collar footballer with white collar smarts.

Pav's work ethic is very underrated he prepares extremely well and sets the standard on the training track, and his man management skills have improved in the years he has been captain. But he grew into it.

I would say Fyfe is more naturally talented/freakish compared to Pav. Pav is a big unit who works hard but he isn't the kind of natural fyfe is. That is no slight on Pav, but Fyfe is a freak and noone should bother copying him.

De Boer could be leading the front from day one.
Pavlich has a football brain. His other positive footballing traits don't need to be listed. His unparalleled work ethic, maturity, and leadership just makes him the perfect captain. Fyfe's another kind of footballer. One is 30 years old, an established, hugely respected footballer. The other has played less than 50 games and can't even buy a beer in America. Comparing Pav and Fyfe is a little unfair.

What an insightful post. You've really outdone yourself.

PS: Go **** yourself.

Nothing personal, but all of those "dumb footballer" and "Butthead Schammer" lines just weren't my cup of tea, then to see you've gone for the pure lunacy angle and started it with Fyfe (while pumping up deBoer no less) just gave me one of those "oh, that's right" moments.

About to cook dinner and watch a movie. ****ing myself will commence sometime after that though.

Enjoy your night.

I can't believe there is even any question about Fyfe's smarts going on. One of the more mature, thoughtful and articulate players in the AFL, let alone Freo.

Yep. He is achieving beyond his years so maybe that's why people are a little harder on him?

Either way, I reckon he'd be a reluctant captain. De Boer seems to be the only player imo that could take the reigns but I think it would take a stellar second half of the season to make him ready for next year. Otherwise 2014 might be his year.

Mate, do you think it's more indicative of Fyfe being a reasonably smart fella or a dopey silly like Belnakor implied? Think about it.

Regardless of being a helicopter pilot, when watching his interviews, I defintely get the impression that he is highly intelligent. He's very articulate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of being a helicopter pilot, when watching his interviews, I defintely get the impression that he is highly intelligent. He's very articulate.

Yeah the helicopter stuff is nice trivia, it's quite simply evident when watching his interviews anyway. Very impressive person. Mora is another guy who is reasonably bright despite his looks, it's mostly his teeth though poor bastard.

Absolutely de Boer is the way to go. Leads by example on the pitch and does Law/Commerce at UWA so you know he's not an airhead either.

Still can't believe this guy fell into the Rookie Draft...
Sometimes what you study at uni can be deceptive.

Seems to be a good on field leader, but isn't that sharp IRL (not that this matters too much on the footy field).

How do you know him?
I don't directly. A mate of mine went to school with him. Don't get me wrong I like DeBoer as a player, glad he got drafted.

Him and his brother loved the bash and crash in school yard footy but neither are the brightest blokes in the world. Going to a good school where your ATAR (formerly TEER) also gets scaled well for some subjects, money for tuition and fee paying place ultimately gives a lot of kids a leg up in terms of schooling/getting accepted into their course of choice. I know plenty of guys of bog ordinary intelligence who studied law/com at UWA when I was there, who got there due to a similar formula. That's life bro.

Ah ok so your mate told you, compelling :thumbsu:
Quality response.

It's nothing you need to get defensive over. Plenty of people either know or have friends and family who went to school with, worked or are friends with AFL listed players. Sure some of what people claim is BS, but I have no agenda on this issue.

My brother went to school with and knew Rhys Palmer. He said the guy was a fair douchebag at school but not a terrible bloke. I mentioned this when he was first drafted re his attitude, despite wanting WC to draft him as I knew he would have an impact early. Was roundly criticised. Perth is a small place, in the end choose not to believe me it is no big deal.

I don't directly. A mate of mine went to school with him. Don't get me wrong I like DeBoer as a player, glad he got drafted.

Him and his brother loved the bash and crash in school yard footy but neither are the brightest blokes in the world. Going to a good school where your ATAR (formerly TEER) also gets scaled well for some subjects, money for tuition and fee paying place ultimately gives a lot of kids a leg up in terms of schooling/getting accepted into their course of choice. I know plenty of guys of bog ordinary intelligence who studied law/com at UWA when I was there, who got there due to a similar formula. That's life bro.

What you say about prestigious schools and TEE scaling is true, but once you get to uni, everyone is on an even playing field and the weak get sorted out from the strong during first year... Especially when you do a law degree! Believe me I would know.

I know you have no agenda on this and I dont think anyone's claiming him as the next Einstein, but the fact he's been doing it a few years suggests to me he's probably one of the more intelligent footballers in the league :)

I'd like to see De Boer string more than 3 good games together before I gave him the captaincy. I love the way he plays, but there is no guarantee he'll still be a feature of our midfield in a month, let alone after Pav retires.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back