The Final Story - 1991 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Having started the 1971 thread, I thought I might send out a reminder to those who enjoyed that documentary that the 1991 Grand Final doco is on this Sunday at 12:00pm.

As a general background for everyone, Channel Nine began screening a four part documentary series on great VFL/AFL Grand Finals on Sunday, September 4 starting with the 1971 Granny (then goes on with the 1981, 1991 and 2001 years). Obviously, there will be a lot more footage available in the archives for 1991 that 1971, so hopefully we'll get a unique perspective on a game where the best side of the year played the best side in September. Sounds eerily familiar... Good news is we should see a lot of footage in 1991 in colour as well, just like 1971. :D

Hopefully, they won't go on too much about an interstate team playing in a final for the first time, and rather present a balanced account of events. By balanced, I mean, of course, Hawthorn-centric.

For those with a bad memory or too young to know, we started off the year badly with an embarrassing defeat by Adelaide on their home turf in round one. Still, we won enough games to remain in the mix and were eventually regarded as one of the top two or three teams running around by final's time, but certainly not the best. Something to note - a few of our regulars had been replaced with some younger guns coming through to add some sparkle to the team structure. However, to complicate matters, our gun forward went down with a knee injury in the qualifying final and naturally all talk was about whether he'd made it back in time for... wait a second. wtf? Okay, this last paragraph is just freaking me out!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Do we have an unobtrusive, big forward/ruck type playing for our team that has a penchant for converting 7-point plays? If we make the Granny, I might just throw a couple of bucks Hale's way for the Norm Smith... :rolleyes:

I was going to let Grizz mention the Hudson connection b/w the 1971 and 1991 docos, but what the hell. I gave him ten whole minutes... surely that's enough time? :)

Son of! Son of! Son of!

Ah...the good old Waverley "Angry Anderson, batmobile" grand final. Too old, too slow, too good, and all that.

I remember being able to purchase two (yes you read it right = 2) GF tickets that year with my ordinary club membership. Something to do with it either being out at Waverley or the fact that it involved a non-Victorian club for the first time, but they couldn't give tickets away. If only it was still like that!

Apart from the great win, one memory that sticks in my mind is a lady sitting in front of me turning around and telling me that I was the spitting image of Gary Buckenara. I couldn't see it at the time, but now that Bucky is older, balding, fat and wears glasses, the similarity is uncanny!

And yes, Paul Dear did play a great game that day. James "the Freak" Morrissey also did some special things.

I chanted that all day, after the game, at the pub. Then, when I met my girfriend and her parents at some restaurant later that night, mind you still wearing my Hawthorn jumper, I stood up in the restaurant and chanted it too. The relationship didn't last, I still have the jumper and my love of the club but.

Son of! Son of! Son of!

Ah...the good old Waverley "Angry Anderson, batmobile" grand final. Too old, too slow, too good, and all that.

I remember being able to purchase two (yes you read it right = 2) GF tickets that year with my ordinary club membership. Something to do with it either being out at Waverley or the fact that it involved a non-Victorian club for the first time, but they couldn't give tickets away. If only it was still like that!
Apart from the great win, one memory that sticks in my mind is a lady sitting in front of me turning around and telling me that I was the spitting image of Gary Buckenara. I couldn't see it at the time, but now that Bucky is older, balding, fat and wears glasses, the similarity is uncanny!

And yes, Paul Dear did play a great game that day. James "the Freak" Morrissey also did some special things.

1991 was the only GF I have ever been to. What a fabulous day. :):thumbsu:

I was behind the goals at the scoreboard end, so in the last qtr it just rained goals at our end.

Those were the days, when the fans could actually get (and afford) GF tickets.

I chanted that all day, after the game, at the pub. Then, when I met my girfriend and her parents at some restaurant later that night, mind you still wearing my Hawthorn jumper, I stood up in the restaurant and chanted it too. The relationship didn't last, I still have the jumper and my love of the club but.

Son of! Son of! Son of!
Brings a tear to the eye.... ;)

I was in my first year of high school... and loved every minute of crap I dished out to Cats supporters about our win! :D

I wonder if they will ask AFL officials why they looked like there had been a death in the family when they coudnt hand the cup over to the eagles.

Then they stuffed up procedures, so on the video you can see Michael Tuck directing proceedings - hed done a few you see.

Very unsporting by the AFL officials

Suck on this Boys !!!!

Yep I was there sitting in the corner of Kenneth Luke Stand.

Started poorly and gave sumich a dream start but once we settled in we took control.

I was annoyed my favourite player "Jars" played such a poor game after a brilliant first year of 40 plus goals for the club.

Good section in the Golden Years book where Paul Dear talks about how hard he had to work to be given a shot by Allan Joyce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent, will be watching this looking for the lone Hawks supporter sitting in the Weagles players families bay, which was me :)

I grew up best mates with Guy McKenna's brother, his Mum got me a ticket, boy did they pummell me with rubbish after that first 4 goals, boy did I stand on my seat giving them hell as the game wore on :D

All the Eagle's supporters were wearing these bright fluorescent hats so whole sections stood out. Amazingly did not see them after the siren or on the way out of the ground.

Remember Bruce's call on a Dean Anderson goal from the boundary.

He predicted it amazingly. It was a boundary throw-in and Paul Dear went to it. As he was lumbering to the throw-in, Bruce said "And Paul Dear, who is so good in this situation". Dear got the ball out to Anderson, who kicked a low kick around his body, and you could see from the TV angle that it was never going to miss.

Bruce said really quickly and in an understated way: "Anderson... great kick for a goal."

Then he let loose.... "A beaaaauuuuuutttttttyyyyyyy!!!!!!!"

gold.

I wonder if they will ask AFL officials why they looked like there had been a death in the family when they coudnt hand the cup over to the eagles.

Then they stuffed up procedures, so on the video you can see Michael Tuck directing proceedings - hed done a few you see.

Very unsporting by the AFL officials

Suck on this Boys !!!!

I love watching that bit, they were going to present the Premiership Cup before the medallions. Tucky has a quick word in the MC's ear and all is put right.

One of my favorite non-footy moments ever...

Brings a tear to the eye.... ;)

I was in my first year of high school... and loved every minute of crap I dished out to Cats supporters about our win! :D

lol ... I was in my first year at the Retirement Village ... when West Coast kicked the first four goals I almost swallowed my dentures !!

Was also my first year at High School. 33 now!

I sat behind the point post at the small scoreboard end. I was 13 and remember commentating the game, much to the amusement of my dad and his mates in the last quarter. Also remember that mum had to get to work so i missed the presentations!

The freak took Andy Collins spot in the back pocket and slaughtered Chris Lewis.

Paul Dear just kept taking marks from West Coast kick ins. You would have thought that at some stage they would have kicked away from him!

Steve Lawrence smashed Peter Matera with an elbow late in the game.

Oh, and we would still probably get two tickets per membership for a grand final if we still only had about 11,000 members!

I was speaking to Brett (merch guy) at the club a couple of weeks ago and he told me that each of these grand final stories will be packaged up with the corresponding grand final and sold on DVD. They will need to add something more for me to buy them as I have the box set (9) plus the 2008 Victory pack and now the 1989 victory pack.

Some of my random memories from the game.
- Benny Allan looking very assured and classy.
- Morrissey totally eclipsing Lewis.
- Turley giving Tucky the run around.
- Gowers and mainwaring going head to head.
- Scott Watters critically fumbling a couple of times early in the game.
- Paul Dear's brute strength.

The night before the game I was at the club for dinner. Back in those days it was members only. Somehow two West Coast supporters got in. Rather than kick them out, they were invited to stay provided they lost the "I Hate Hawthorn" badges.

They sat at our table, listened to some great footy talk, and later they confided in me that they had intended to create a nuisence, but now they would tell everyone what a great club Hawthorn was, and how nice the people were.

I was on the wing in front of the members, Andrew Jarman was sitting in the next row, hoping for Hawthorn to win the flag for Darren. At first I was disappointed the game wasn't at the MCG, but once I got used to it, I quite enjoyed the atmosphere.

West Coast out to an early lead, it was clear the Hawks decided the Eagles were new to the caper and would succumb to physical pressure. Langers in particular must have swallowed some nasty pills. First 4 goals to Eagles, Commetti crowing in the commentary box, going on about Langers being too slow. Three late goals saw the Hawks back in touch at 1/4 time.

Pritchard thrashed Matera on the wing. Paul Dear played the game of his life, so dominant, the Eagles had no answer to him. James Morrissey made Chris Lewis look like Karmichael Hunt. Lawrence killed them in the ruck.

2nd and 3rd quarters were tough, both sides hanging on there. At 3/4 time, we knew we had the breeze, a 10 point lead, and hoped for a few quick goals early in the final term to put the Eagles away ... which was precisely what we got. By the 15 minute mark we were celebrating another flag.

Brereton taking strong grabs and booting goals, Hudson booting goals, Dunstall added 4 in the final term for six, it was an avalanche ... and Commetti's excited voice became a little more sombre.

As I watched the boys head off for their lap of honour, I focussed on Number 17, and wondered if I'd seen the last of the great Tucky. Get day at the footy, didn't realise at the time I'd have to wait another 17 years for the next one.

I had to work the day of the 91 granny, at the wce grand final breakfast of all places!

They were so confident before the game, all wearing their stupid fluro hats, mocking Dermott, who karl langdon described as a handbag player.

When I told them I supported the hawks I copped an earful of abuse.

I watched the game on the big screen as I set up for the post game WCE function, Paul dear playing out of his skin, the freak with his daicos like skills, huddo's best game in a hawthorn jumper.

The best part was knowing that the same cocksure crowd from breakfast would be returning to the post game wake with their tails firmly between their legs.......and what a smug little prick I was when they arrived

I loved the Hawk supporters who took bottles of champagne to the game and when it started raining goals in the last qtr you could see them holding the bottles in the air.

Of course the 1991 Grand Final was also a cultural highpoint for this nation.

Who could forget Angry Anderson and the batmobile? Magnificient. Vlad is trying his best to out culture that vat of 5 year-old yoghurt but not even getting close with his stale Meatloaf.

On a serious note, we will resume our series on our club's great flags after the trading/draft period. Market and Langers have done an account on the game, including special guest star (in the true sense of the words), which promises to be a cracker of a read. I think we've got a flag or two to cover before that though. But such is life at the most successful club of the last 50 years.

The Final Story - 1991 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back