The Final Story - 1991 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

I love in the commentary Bruce's call that he feels Stevie Laurence would be an imposing figure on the game for years to come. I think he was only on our list for another year or two.

Great game from us.

Seems watching the footy show we were heavily involved in racially abusing Chris Lewis (though the Freak anally abused most of the day in one on one contests as well from memory:D). Disappointing but I guess those were the times unfortunatly.

I remember Huddo having a fantastic game, but Sumich's start had me very very worried. Pretty sure he had 3 or 4 goals early in the 1st quarter.

Pritchard V Matera on one wing, Gowers V Mainwaring on the other. So many good contests

My best memories of this game:

1) thinking "wow, Chris Langford is such an unassuming, nice looking bloke" but what about the anger - 2 x 50m penalties in about 3 mins!

2) Dermott holding 18yo Ashley McIntosh by the adams apple in a weird squirrel grip, only to be giving him a good condolence and reassurance message after the final siren.

3) Stevie Lawrence's chase on Peter Matera - didn't catch him but enough pressure to force the miss. Lawrence was awesome that finals series.

4) Last qtr, champagne football (cut to shot of champagne swigglers in the crowd), capped by Bruce's call:
" Tuck, to Brereton, to Mew, to Dunstall". Four of our best ever in a great passage of play from half back to Dunstall's diving mark on 50m and slotting it to put it out of reach (if it wasn't already). That passage and call capped the end of an era. What a privilege!

Cheers

What a great day.

Other than winning via a great team effort by a group of players branded "too old and too slow" I remember.

The "West Coast w***ers" stickers being handed out before the game.

Paul Dear playing a blinder to win the Norm Smith.

Going to Glenferrie after the game and into the Social Club where they played over and over again "Eagle Rock" and "Another one bites the dust", indispersed with the Hawthorn theme song.

Ahh the memories, we had a large group of the best players ever to play the game all in the one team then.

Gowers V Mainwaring on the other. So many good contests

I have always thought that this was one of the pivotal contests of the match and Gowers work late in the first gave us the belief.

It was somewhat a cameo in respect of the match, but it turned things massively.

The other enduring memory is of Mainwaring (a lifelong Hawks supporter) hugging Dipper at the final bell - a heartfelt show of respect.

I didn't think we'd win, the West coast were practically invincible back then.

And after we conceded the first four goals (??) from memory, i looked at my parents as if to say 'oh well, game over'.

The rest of the day was brilliant though.

I still remember Conan putting the fear of god into them in the first quarter. Peter Wilson sitting under a high ball in the first with Ayres bearing down on him.......he dead set s**t himself. Later on making Dwayne Lamb really earn one.

Dennis Commeti - "What odds Gary Ayres a 3rd Norm Smith medal?"

I still remember Conan putting the fear of god into them in the first quarter. Peter Wilson sitting under a high ball in the first with Ayres bearing down on him.......he dead set s**t himself. Later on making Dwayne Lamb really earn one.

Dennis Commeti - "What odds Gary Ayres a 3rd Norm Smith medal?"
i doubt the coaches would have been that concerned being 4 goals down, we had the run of the play in the arm wrestle before the 1st goal and they than got 2 cheapies (sumich 50m penalties) and a complete fluke of a goal by wilson, they than got a downfield free kick out of the centre, hardly a domination. The whole 1st qtr we beat up on them, imo it was clearly a focus and a tactic to soften them up for later in the game, the brawl during the 1st qtr was a case in point, chris lewis was a dirty player despite the vilifying that he got, several time in the match he came in hard with his knees into packs, he also spat at jencke when the 2 were remonstrating during the 1st qtr melee (watch footage of the fight if possible), thats just plain disgusting.

The golden description of 1991 Hawks: "Too old, too slow, too good."

I've often wondered about that phrase. It annoyed me to read an article in the paper that labelled the Hawks as too old and too slow.

That night I wandered into the members bar at Glenferrie, there was nodoby around, so I wrote on the whiteboard "Too Old, Too Slow, Too Bloody Good!!!", and then went over to see training.

When I returned to the bar, someone had erased it from the board, so I was a little embarrassed to think I'd upset someone at the club and said nothing about it.

After the win, suddenly the catch cry was exactly as I had written on the board. Total coincidence? Maybe, but who knows?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a reminder everyone - 12:00pm midday tomorrow, channel 9.

Miss it and it's $28 at JB HiFi (yes, they actually have the 1971 and 1981 doco dvds on sale already).

hawks nest said something about them getting a two pack with both of them in it could be wrong but that is what i thought they said for the 91 and 71 shows

hawks nest said something about them getting a two pack with both of them in it could be wrong but that is what i thought they said for the 91 and 71 shows

The double packs on Hawks Nest are $29.95 each, you get a disc of the documentary, plus another disc of the full game.

Bit of a bugger for those of us who already have the full matches but would love to see the documentaries.

The double packs on Hawks Nest are $29.95 each, you get a disc of the documentary, plus another disc of the full game.

Bit of a bugger for those of us who already have the full matches but would love to see the documentaries.

i thought they meant they had the 71 and 91 doco in one pack mmmm must have heard wrong but still for any that don't have the games it is a good deal

Malthouse selective outrage again.

Plenty on racial vilification (he never did it, ever ???) and not much on the evils of drug addiction, plenty said on Mainwaring but 'danced around' the main theme.

Awesome football team back then - like a machine spitting out goals

Plenty on racial vilification (he never did it, ever ???) and not much on the evils of drug addiction, plenty said on Mainwaring but 'danced around' the main theme.

Awesome football team back then - like a machine spitting out goals

Yeah it was a bit rich hearing Malthouse condem racial vilification while he calls players rapists.

Also had a laugh when Langford mentioned that he got too pumped up after listening to 'Sonic Temple' by The Cult. I wonder if it was this song that got him going.

[YOUTUBE]Af1wuxRerV0[/YOUTUBE]

One thing I got from that - the players and coach have exactly the same emotions as I do after a Grand Final victory - euphoria and relief. I had almost forgotten how mentally draining a Grand Final was until 2008 rolled along. It is so difficult to explain the feeling to those who don't really follow footy, how you ride every bump and score every goal with the players throughout the year and at the end, if your team manages premiership glory, it is the most glorious and natural high you can ever hope to experience. I try to explain it to friends that follow St Kilda, but they don't really get it. :)

Just as importantly, I think JD summed it up well at the end when he said such opportunities are all too rare and you just have to take these opportunities when you can. Something that should be drilled into today's players, methinks, just to make sure they know they have to take every chance with both hands. Starting right now.

Very good doco, disappointed to hear what Dermie had said to Lewis, but the rest was very enjoyable. You get a real idea of just how ruthless the Hawthorn players were in that era.

Was interested to hear several West Coast players thought they'd already lost it at 1/2 time when they were only 10 points down. I was concerned at the time they were building in confidence.

Excellent tribute to Tucky. Loved the words of Langers, "We all knew West Coast would win one, we're just glad it wasn't this one".

Was interested to hear several West Coast players thought they'd already lost it at 1/2 time when they were only 10 points down. I was concerned at the time they were building in confidence.

Same here, West Coast in 1991 were pretty much an unstoppable force from my point of view, and I was surprised we won in the end.

I like Malthouse, but I do admit I find him amusing at times. I recall when he was with West Coast, all he did was whinge about the advantages Melbourne based clubs had, but the moment he switched to Collingwood, he started whinging about the advantages teams from other states had. He's a beauty is Mick, has a reading intelligence, but obviously doesn't think a lot before commenting :)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Final Story - 1991 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back