The food and wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A tale of 2 bottles...
upload_2018-6-16_10-58-33.png

On the left - $5-6? from Aldi - quite a quaffable drop!

On the right - a different category - staying with friends in the Golden Triangle (Vic) next Sat - taking this bottle to share with convivial company and a good steak - hoping can detect some difference between the Grange and the Spanish...

Leisurely drive home on Sunday - just in time to watch Pies gives the B..lose a fair shellacking.... :)

I'm trying out this diet. Vegetarian Monday to Friday. But can eat meat on the weekend. Not sure how long I will do it, but it's equalled a potato/broccoli curry/soup and salad rolls so far... Pretty healthy and great for a detox.

Made soup last week using powdered stock - never again - salty, mystery chemicals...

Making own stock now - chicken carcasses x 3, chopped leek tops, stalky bits of asparagus (snap at natural break point - don't cut), garlic, whole peppercorns, left over red capsicum, parsley inc stalks - feeling better about it already :)

upload_2018-6-30_11-27-24.png

Made soup last week using powdered stock - never again - salty, mystery chemicals...

Making own stock now - chicken carcasses x 3, chopped leek tops, stalky bits of asparagus (snap at natural break point - don't cut), garlic, whole peppercorns, left over red capsicum, parsley inc stalks - feeling better about it already :)

View attachment 519818
Postscript - roasted pumpkin (vs boiled) gives better flavour in the soup - sprinkled a bit of ras el hanout on the pumpkin before roasting

Menu for the Big Day - hoping corporates don't get wind and storm my place instead of MCG (maybe I could steal their seat)

Entree: Smoked salmon on pumpernickel rounds topped with Caviar

Main: Roast beef rare sandwiches on Schwobb's multigrain with rocket and truss tomatoes - choice of dressing - mustard, horseradish or spicy tomato relish :)

GO PIES!!!!!

http://urban-flavours.com/yarra-valley-rising/

'... The Rising Vineyard sits in the Christmas Hills between St. Andrews and Yarra Glen, so named for the emancipated convict David Christmas who managed to get himself lost in the region during the year 1842. Prior to this landmark event the area was known as the Stringy Bark Forest.

The gravel soils here were considered poor for farming but it turns out they are ideal for the production of premium table-wine grapes. ....'

Okay because you two asked so nicely I will divulge the secret......plus I am a little tipsy.......everyone else block your ears I don't want to kill anyone today :p

First and foremost buy good lamb cutlets.

You need onions, tomato, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, oregano and bbq provencale spice.

Firstly in your container put a layer of sliced onion (for flavour) then lay down the cutlets. If they are thick give them a whack!

Then sprinkle on both sides with good oregano, bbq provencale and the garlic zapped with a processor placed in the extra virgin olive oil.

Coat both sides then place sliced tomato on top (the acid in the tomato softens the meat). Then put onion on top.......repeat this process until all lamb cutlets are finished.

The lamb should marinade for two days minimum........many customers asked for the recipe but I have never divulged it......you two should feel blessed! :D

Repeat patronage is the key to a successful Restaurant my father in law and I fortunately had a successful Restaurant. It was a wonderful experience and the toughest industry I have been involved in.

Stay tuned for my Gyros recipe.......Happy Australia Day people hope you and the family had a great day :):thumbsu:

I only just today managed to track down some bbq provencale. I will be sure to try this recipe and I'll let you know how it goes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OK I'm inspired to get in the kitchen now.

Hmmmm where did those carrots go...

Dq6goBtWwAAJPQ_.jpg

Melbourne in the 1970s, eating Italian food at Pellegrini's or the Italian Waiters Club. Both institutions, going to either was a right of passage for young Melburnites living in a city which was slowly growing into a diverse and vibrant metropolis. My first coffee, my first red wine, my first pasta which didnt taste bland! So sad.

Can never say enough about a good cheese platter.

:)

Melbourne in the 1970s, eating Italian food at Pellegrini's or the Italian Waiters Club. Both institutions, going to either was a right of passage for young Melburnites living in a city which was slowly growing into a diverse and vibrant metropolis. My first coffee, my first red wine, my first pasta which didnt taste bland! So sad.
Yes, worse than sad.

Good decent person cut short.

Terrible terrible tragedy.

I have got to get me some of these

golden_gaytime_unicorn_crumbs.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back