The Game with the Loudest Crowd you went to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Loudest has to be Subi, so loud the visiting coaches (the brothers Scott) complained - best atmosphere is a different issue for mine.
The only thing you hear in the Perth Stadiums is the inevitable and cringeworthy BOOOOOOO
Doesn’t compare to actual real roar of the MCG.

1994 Preliminary Final, when Ablett marked that stray kick from Tudor i thought the Grandstand would collapse... that final 60 seconds was insane balls out bonkers!

Yes mate. I was behind the goals at the Ponsford Stand end. Couldn’t even hear the siren as the crowd was already going nuts. Not just the usual cheering but mad, unhinged, primeval hysteria it was. The bloke next to me was just yelling “Siren! Siren!” but I never heard it myself.

2013 Prelim was almost as loud. Players didn’t hear the siren and kept going. But I heard the bloody thing that time. 😡

2011 Prelim Collingwood vs Hawthorn. Was in Melbourne for a bucks weekend and got tickets. My one and only experience of a final at the G. The roar was deafening. Respect.
Yeah this one or the 2013 prelim with about 20 seconds to go.

The Collingwood game I remember most though, as I’m sure the stands were shaking with the noise at one stage - or at least it felt like it, it was so raucous.

Easily the 1995 Anzac day draw between Collingwood and Essendon. About 95k people for a H&A, and I've never experienced anything like it, including a couple of GF's.

In proportion to the crowd figure, probably the St Kilda vs GWS draw in 2018. The atmosphere at the end was electric, so much so that you’d forget there were only about 15k there, it felt like the place was going to fall down. I don’t get to go to many games though as a Melbourne based Port fan, I just lucked into a free ticket which I wasn’t gonna turn down and it was well worth it. Can’t believe this was two and a half years ago, I initially thought it was last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For people that were at the game yesterday how did it rate for noise and atmosphere? It sounded insane on tv.
It felt loud at times but it was eerily quiet too. I always think close games where neither side gets decent momentum, well the crowd hold back a bit.

But the last goals from DeGoey, Rohan and Holmes were pretty loud.

Still recon 2009 STK v GEE at Docklands was louder

Been to 2018 GF and a Carlton/Pies game with 80000. But the loudest crowd was 2017 Queens Birthday game. Specifically when Watts kicked the match winner, don't think I've experienced anything like it.

For people that were at the game yesterday how did it rate for noise and atmosphere? It sounded insane on tv.
Almost impossible to compare. Loudest AFL games i can remember were prelims, Cats Pies 2007, Hawks Pies 2011, Cats Hawks 2013.

Only Grand Final that was defo up there was 2010 draw.

Yesterday comfortably sits among all those

Port vs St Kilda prelim, 2004. Was a pressure cooker that had been building since 2001 and the noise when Wanganeen kicked the winner was just mind blowing.

It felt loud at times but it was eerily quiet too. I always think close games where neither side gets decent momentum, well the crowd hold back a bit.

But the last goals from DeGoey, Rohan and Holmes were pretty loud.

Still recon 2009 STK v GEE at Docklands was louder

Yeah almost silent at times, but absolutely exploded for pretty much every goal and some good "Coooooolingwooood' chants reverberating.

Oddly I was never concerned about the closeness of the game and that Collingwood would somehow pull it out because they always do. It was almost better for Geelong that they had to play from behind for most of the game and I feel like the crowd would have been very different and a bigger factor for Geelong to overcome had the Cats been in front by a few goals at the start of the fourth and De Goey had banged through those two goals.

One of the loudest that I've been to was the Pre-season Grand Final in 1993. Richmond vs Essendon. Played at VFL Park in front of a crowd of over 75,000. Thousands turned away at the gate and many more turned their cars around on the highway as they weren't going to get in. First "meaningful" game for a decade for Richmond fans. The seats were shaking that night.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Game with the Loudest Crowd you went to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back