The Game with the Loudest Crowd you went to.

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted in the game day thread on the Fremantle board yesterday but the crowd noise that stands out the most to me is the 2013 Prelim, Fremantle vs Sydney at Subiaco. Once everyone knew that Fremantle were going to their first grand final the sound was insane and it stayed that way until the end. I remember the Freo chant just echoing about as I madly tried to get plane tickets booked on my phone.

I posted in the game day thread on the Fremantle board yesterday but the crowd noise that stands out the most to me is the 2013 Prelim, Fremantle vs Sydney at Subiaco. Once everyone knew that Fremantle were going to their first grand final the sound was insane and it stayed that way until the end. I remember the Freo chant just echoing about as I madly tried to get plane tickets booked on my phone.

Imho two louder moments at Subiaco.

There game where longmuir kicked the goal after the siren the crowd was at an absolute boiling point and when McPharlin ran down the saints player the sound was deafening.

The semi against Melbourne in 06 was louder too

Almost impossible to compare. Loudest AFL games i can remember were prelims, Cats Pies 2007, Hawks Pies 2011, Cats Hawks 2013.

Only Grand Final that was defo up there was 2010 draw.

Yesterday comfortably sits among all those
Interesting you say this. I reckon 2010 replay would be right up there in terms of GFs purely for the fact there was a draw the week prior so would’ve been probably the only GF in 20+ years where you’ve got actual footy purists amongst the 90k+ and not the corporate flogs taking seats away from the fans.

I went to every Collingwood final in 2010 but couldn’t get one for the drawn GF and got lucky the week after.

Geelong prelim from a Collingwood supporter perspective was hectic as it was over before HT so it was a loud celebratory type noise but that GF replay v St Kilda was the loudest I’ve heard in the GFs I’ve attended.

For people that were at the game yesterday how did it rate for noise and atmosphere? It sounded insane on tv.
Was at the match and never gave it a thought.
I'm probably a bit blase about big crowds as been to so many you just get used to the noise of massive crowds at the ground.
On tv itself Starc bowling McMullum at World Cup sounded epic like not heard before since the time Lillee bowled Vic Richards at the same venue three decades before which interesting as crowd could not have been anywhere near as big but the chant to hear in those times was amazing.

Not the loudest but most tense was when Lloyd knocked out Sewell in R22, 2009. It really felt like the crowd was going to turn on each other. Weirdest crowd experience was 2010 drawn GF; the crowd did not know how to react so was basically silent.

Anzac Day matches are always insane 2012 / 2009 in particular were probably the loudest game I’ve been to I remember feeling vibrations course through my body it was so loud.

The ending of Essendon Vs North Melbourne 2019 was nuts as well.

Last edited:
Didn't attend 2013 ANZAC Day which had a bigger crowd, and I'm sure the Bombers faithful went nuts. When I think of the loudest game I've ever seen I always am drawn back to the 2012 ANZAC game when Stanton put the Bombers up with 2 minutes left, before Blair won it for Collingwood. Then of course there was the final siren. Insane roar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the loudest that I've been to was the Pre-season Grand Final in 1993. Richmond vs Essendon. Played at VFL Park in front of a crowd of over 75,000. Thousands turned away at the gate and many more turned their cars around on the highway as they weren't going to get in. First "meaningful" game for a decade for Richmond fans. The seats were shaking that night.
I cant remember what happened in that one?

Did richmond come 9th?

I went to the 1995 PF Carlton v Nth Melb PF - night game at the MCG - drizzly rain all night

But the noise and atmosphere was sensational - Kernaghan down one end and Carey down the other - it was great being their

Imho two louder moments at Subiaco.

There game where longmuir kicked the goal after the siren the crowd was at an absolute boiling point and when McPharlin ran down the saints player the sound was deafening.

The semi against Melbourne in 06 was louder too

I would have to agree with these. Definitely louder than Freo’s Saturday come from behind Elimination final against Bulldogs which had 20,000 more people. It seems like Optus Stadium in general hasn’t quite got as loud as Subiaco.

And it also seems like the crowd struggles to get a good Freo chant going at Optus. It hasn’t occurred in unison yet, there always seems to be half the group out of time.

But also Freo fans get really intense in watching the game. It drops to be so quiet after the centre bounce and everyone is concentrating on watching.

2010 prelim pies v cats, first quarter, pies fans insane
2009 stkilda vs Geelong at Etihad, most consistent loud crowd I’ve witnessed
2013 Hawthorn vs Geelong preliminary final
2007 Geelong vs Collingwood preliminary final

Loudest crowd I can remember was the 1989 Vic v SA game at the MCG, what a rollicking day that was

But the loudest noise I ever heard was for Ablett's mark over Pert in 1994, both sets of fans erupted, he nearly went into orbit

Remove this Banner Ad

The Game with the Loudest Crowd you went to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back