Review The Geelong Board 'Liked, Learned and Hated' 2015 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ling still has sense, he shows that on AW.... But he plays the game on 7 and many here have a changed opinion of him because of it.
I really get peed off with certain rabble on here that bag out Ling. The guy's a club legend, the world changes things move on and his job now is to tell it how it is, people just have to face the fact that in many games this season we were pretty ordinary and deserved criticism - get over it!

I really get peed off with certain rabble on here that bag out Ling. The guy's a club legend, the world changes things move on and his job now is to tell it how it is, people just have to face the fact that in many games this season we were pretty ordinary and deserved criticism - get over it!
And people also have to accept that he may well admire a team that was the enemy when he was a player...

Id say most gripes are when he splits what could be a 50/50 call and more often than not calls it against us. As others have said, I think his TV work has more the feel of trying to fit in with the ensemble .The panel tripe has all the in depth football , as one would expect to find in depth knowledge on horse racing in the Birdcage. Its to entertain people who don't like football. When he talks footy rather than making light comment I find him fair enough most of the time but id appreciate him taking our side occasionally on those 50/50...plenty of professional media types with a Brown and Yellow background have no issue with that approach.

Id say most gripes are when he splits what could be a 50/50 call and more often than not calls it against us. As others have said, I think his TV work has more the feel of trying to fit in with the ensemble .The panel tripe has all the in depth football , as one would expect to find in depth knowledge on horse racing in the Birdcage. Its to entertain people who don't like football. When he talks footy rather than making light comment I find him fair enough most of the time but id appreciate him taking our side occasionally on those 50/50...plenty of professional media types with a Brown and Yellow background have no issue with that approach.
It's the ones that aren't even 50/50 that get me. He overcompensates to try to avoid any accusations of bias.

In my dreams he would call it as he sees it.

It's the ones that aren't even 50/50 that get me. He overcompensates to try to avoid any accusations of bias.

I think there was one or two that even got me upset thru the year... but on the whole generally OK .. I feel. Just think avoid all the efforts to be a clown. His complexion is not ideal for him to do it and maintain credibility.

Liked:

- that the rumours of Dangerfield et al coming to Geelong were correct.
- that Blicavs continued improvement was rewarded with a Carji medal
- R23 - what everyone thought was a dead rubber was played to perfection by Geelong for SJ, Kelly and Stokes

Learned:

- that booing is racist
- that the Hawks 3peat was not as difficult to stomach as I thought
- that Geelong's depth was woeful
- that you can recover from a ruptured testicle reasonably quickly

Hated:

- not seeing Geelong play finals for the first time since 2006
- seeing Geelong capitulate to Melbourne....at Simonds
- not one Geelong footballer awarded AA

Liked:
  • The development of our young midfield, it started back in 2014 and it's going to pay off big next year. Duncan, Caddy, Guthrie, Blicavs and Motlop are all on the cusp, if they make the next step anything can happen.
  • The vision showed by all of our staff involved in list management, they knew who they wanted and got them done while avoiding all of the bullshit that can happen in trade week
  • The off field professionalism of the club toward Adelaide after Phil Walsh and Sydney in Adam Goodes return match.
  • The (temporary) return of Plan D

Learnt:
  • The most important attribute in football is mental strength, and those who are blessed with it don't get to keep it forever.
  • Draft hype means early picks are overrated, pick 56 will be a gun it's a lucky pick.
  • The only thing worse then a cascade of injuries just before finals, is a cascade of injuries at the start of the season.

Disliked

• Suggestions of Mackie as a third tall forward, you people make me sick. And you all know who you are, so shame on you.
  • The cost to fulfill our ambition, I dreamed that it would cost a little less, If Gore doesn't make it at Adelaide he'll regret leaving Geelong, but Jansen won't. He never had a chance to begin with and I put 99% of the blame on Daniel McL .
  • The attack of some fans on our coaching staff especially our midfield Coach O'Bree. Oh wait he hasn't been our midfield coach for the last 12 months, yet some of just want to crucify him, so all of you leave him alone.
  • The lack of regard people hold for Murdoch, especially those who get the role he played this year wrong.
  • The argument of 5 games in 6 years.

Time for my first post despite lurking for over 10 years...

Liked:
- The last game - so emotional - and Danger ending up with the ball.
- The week after the last game with a different player announcing he re-signed every day.
- October (from the 12th onwards). Trade week, next year's fixture, Cook re-signing...it all just fell into place.

Learnt:
- To back hawthorn for the flag mid season..it hurts (slightly) less when Sportsbet pay up.
- That our club puts in a big effort to get new members (including a pop-up store at Eastland for 2 months...not bad given it's 100kms from KP).
- I'm proud of our fans...were we the only club not to boo Goodes (much)?

Disliked:
- Our 'members appreciation day' being held on a Monday during school holidays.
- The 3 peat.
- Unwarranted negativity given the stage we're in as a club.

Liked:
  • The development of our kids (Guthrie a standout). Augers well for the future.
  • Our trade period. Flatters us as a destination club while catapulting us right back into flag contention. Could have turned to shit, but didn't. Wells is a god.
  • Sels' 200th. Great game to watch, electrifying atmosphere, didn't add to the Goodes debacle, and finished with a spine-tingling chant. I still remember it fondly today.

Learned:
  • No Plan B. Once upon a time, we could be 5 goals down deep in the 3rd but still not be out of it. Chalk it up to inexperience, coaching, lack of depth, what-have-you. We simply never had answers.
  • Blitz is a star. 2014, he was just versatile with lots of upswing. 2015, he's B&F with plenty more upswing yet. Can't wait to see him off the leash.
  • Kersten needs to find form and start influencing games. In 2014, he was highly-touted, even preferred, say, over Walker. Now, there are a lot of players who can fill his position. Walker's gone, but now we have plenty more who've found fitness and/or promise. Kersten needs to show he's AFL level and take his chances.

Hated:
  • KP no longer a fortress. Used to be the toughest road trip in the AFL. I want that back. I want to see the fear in their eyes - the apprehension in their SOUL.
  • The crowd walking out on Boris. Cats fans can be a bit fair-weather at times, but seriously, that was shameful. Even outsiders shook their heads.
  • Hawks. Hate their three-peat, hate their tactics, hate their smugness, hate hate hate them. Try to at least begrudgingly respect them but then I think of Mitchell's knees, Hodge's head snipe and all the rest of their dirty shit and any respect just evaporates. A four-peat will be the end of me.

Time for my first post despite lurking for over 10 years...

Liked:
- The last game - so emotional - and Danger ending up with the ball.
- The week after the last game with a different player announcing he re-signed every day.
- October (from the 12th onwards). Trade week, next year's fixture, Cook re-signing...it all just fell into place.

Learnt:
- To back hawthorn for the flag mid season..it hurts (slightly) less when Sportsbet pay up.
- That our club puts in a big effort to get new members (including a pop-up store at Eastland for 2 months...not bad given it's 100kms from KP).
- I'm proud of our fans...were we the only club not to boo Goodes (much)?

Disliked:
- Our 'members appreciation day' being held on a Monday during school holidays.
- The 3 peat.
- Unwarranted negativity given the stage we're in as a club.

welcome..always good to see fresh (meat) faces... so to speak.

Well you must hate cricket then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricket commentators? Yep, most of them.
Radio. That's where it's at. Cricket muted on TV with the radio on set to ABC grandstand. Heaven all summer long.

You're not suggesting they actually talk about the game are you?
No that would be stupid, who would want to actually know what's happening and why.

We learnt last summer that the people want to know about Warnie's "Dirty Rotten Pizzas" :rolleyes: and Slats' obsession with Jon Bon Jovi :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Radio. That's where it's at. Cricket muted on TV with the radio on set to ABC grandstand. Heaven all summer long.
I actually really enjoyed the 3AW coverage last year.
Tim Lane is a very good cricket commentator and it was like being a kid again (he used to call for granstand)
But i digress....

I need to add another like to mine:

The new theme/graphics etc

Greatness

Brilliant

Cricket commentators? Yep, most of them.
What I was getting at is that cricket commentary is a big circle jerk.
They never balance the team.

I want to hear the opinions of people who support the opposition.
It's why I have no issue with Ling talking up another opponent. He's not employed as a Geelong mouthpiece.

What I was getting at is that cricket commentary is a big circle jerk.
They never balance the team.

I want to hear the opinions of people who support the opposition.
It's why I have no issue with Ling talking up another opponent. He's not employed as a Geelong mouthpiece.
I have no desire to see Ling as a Geelong mouthpiece. What I take issue with is his penchant for being a Geelong Opposition Mouthpiece.

Liked:
- Mitch Duncan's form against Richmond and Collingwood.
- Jake Kolodjasnij's debut and subsequent form.
- Kolodjashnij thrashing Goodes versus Sydney.
- Darcy Lang's continued improvement.
- Corey Gregson's surprisingly effective debut season.

Learned:
- The greatest crime in modern society is to offend someone.
- The definition of booing is now determined by the perceived 'victim', and you must not disagree in any way, shape or form.
- Any player can be defended indefinitely by the terms 'he is highly rated' and/or 'the club has received medical advice'.
- Geelong's ruck division is an ongoing disaster area.
- Individual success stories are more important than the team winning.

Hated:
- N/A

Nothing really warranted the 'hated' tag for me. We were an average and inconsistent team in 2015. Accordingly we saw average and inconsistent results. Occasionally quite good (versus Port, versus Sydney), and occasionally awful (Melbourne game, second Collingwood game). Would have liked to have seen Johnson stay, but if you delist someone, there is a chance they might want to keep playing somewhere else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Geelong Board 'Liked, Learned and Hated' 2015 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back