Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

3 rounds down, Green the more aggressive, but the Pole looks more dangerous in regards to power.

For a stream, go to my twitter account (hint, it's the same as my username).

Or; https://twitter.com/#!/mattys123

recon he is just down at the moment, needs a good last 2 rounds...
Nah, home town judges will give it to Green unless "Diablo" wins the last 2 rounds IMO.

im going to come out and say that angelo hyder should be ashamed of himself. he put his own personal interests infront of danny when he wanted him to keep fighting after tarver. his problem is that hes played second fiddle for his whole career as a trainer. so when he got his first top job to train a late 30's beaten up danny green he didnt want to let it go. after he was pummelled by tarver it was dannys BROTHER that stopped the fight not him. and then after the fight he said that danny would be "crazy" to hang up the gloves (what the ****?). tonight danny looked exhausted, his face marked up and his nose bled with mere jabs, and that left hook would never have dropped him let alone stopped him when fenech had him in his prime. sad stuff.

hope greenys alright. hang them up now before hyder gets in your ear to fight some 23 year old up and coming mexican undefeated cruiserweight.

Congratulations Danny on a good boxing career, but I think it's time to hang them up, unless he can get Mundine one last time
I've never like the Mundine-Green idea anyway, they are different fighters, suited at completely different weight classes.

Green should retire, he fought well tonight against a bloody top boxer, go out on a relatively high note, instead of another Tarver like performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Green is seemingly all Australia's got (forgetting Katsidis, Darchinyan etc), and he's nowhere near world class. His fights are boring and he can't really take a punch (compared to other big guys). The time is right that he retires. Good on him for taking a few better fights recently though.

Green is seemingly all Australia's got (forgetting Katsidis, Darchinyan etc).
He's all we've got fighting here, but the best fighters always fight over seas.

Geale is world champ, Vic will be again, Dib will leave for overseas for his next fight (now a world champ too) and there's a few others that have fights lined up with potential world title holders.

Green and Mundine are the past, they are stealing money of anyone who wants to pay $50 for Mainevent every time they fight, hopefully they both retire now.

Congratulations Danny on a good boxing career, but I think it's time to hang them up, unless he can get Mundine one last time
Danny and Mundine will never happen. Different weights completely. But he should quit now.
He,s done it all he,s moved up to fight some of the real world class fighters and he went well but in the end a big heavy duty world class punch dropped him, and any big time world class fighter will do the same thing . Danny can,t just pick mediocre apponants to make a quid now its over he,s getting older every day . He,s been to the mountain and couldn,t climb it when it was there.
So now its time for him to train and teach up and comming young fighters and maybe help bring the sweet science back up to the level of credibility it should have.

We have too many divisions and champions everywhere that it is a joke. Mundine needs to go away too , bum of the month was Anthonys go and he didn,t really become a world champ , so we have to look backwards at Jimmy Caruthers, Lionel Rose and Johnny Famechon and Rocky Mattioli, Lester Ellis,Barry Michael, to actually see people who were near the top level when they were world champions.

Danny and Anthony really have a million mediocre apponants to choose and call world champions and beat and hold a "title". When the real ones come along then the level you thought they were at maybe they really weren,t at.

But its a hard business and you need to be tough and smart to make a quid and be called a world champion even if your really not.

Thats why the game needs an overhall, no one knows who,s for real and who,s a bum. But Danny knows two who are real now.

Green is seemingly all Australia's got (forgetting Katsidis, Darchinyan etc), and he's nowhere near world class. His fights are boring and he can't really take a punch (compared to other big guys). The time is right that he retires. Good on him for taking a few better fights recently though.
Thats a great comment . It was good that Danny actually took on some genuine top line elite world class fighters. He gave a good account of himself but just not up to the big punch.
But maybe he might set the Aussie boxing scene into a mind set where bulldust champions don,t exist and only real contenders have the chance to have a shot.

He,s done that, his last two fights have given him the crediblity that he went after the best.
For me great work we,ll remember Danny as a real fighter who took on the best.

Mundine has yet to do that.

good luck danny. i think if he wants to revive his career he needs to get this pole out of there early in the fight in devastating fashion. even if he scrapes by on points i dont think it will be enough to inspire the fans or himself. found a good short and sweet write up on danny which hits the nail on the head. dont think ive ever read a news article which i agreed with word for word but here it is: http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/11/30/3380261.htm
G,day MadeinWA
Spot on mate. That article was exactly true, good for Danny he was what he was and time to leave , His go against the Pole was a good shot, and nearly had the chance, but now time to go in another direction.

Trying to find a place showing Cotto-Margarito II this weekend, but the fight night venue finder shows that there's nothing available in Melbourne. Is this real life?????

He,s done that, his last two fights have given him the crediblity that he went after the best.
For me great work we,ll remember Danny as a real fighter who took on the best.

Mundine has yet to do that.

A 43 year old light heavyweight and a guy who attempted suicide a few monghts ago give him credibility? Kessler, Ottke and I'd say Geale all lend far more to the credibility of a fighter, not to mention a dominant display against Danny himself than those two.

no one wants to rubbish danny because hes such a good bloke. but to be frank his best days were over a long time ago. from 2001-2003 he was an animal. something like 15 or 16-0 record all by way of ko all inside of 5 rounds which scored him a shot at markus beyer in germany. he hammered beyer dropping him a couple of times but then screwed up by rubbing his head up against beyers head cut too many times and getting disqualified. then he destroyed erik lucas of canada in round 6 and became the champ. his entertaining tyson like style at this point could have had him fighting in las vegas for big paydays and be recognised on a world scale like kostya tzsyu , fenech,darchynyan and michael katsidis. but unfortunately this never eventuated because in boxing its not what you know its who you know. so his career in my opinion took a more average route losing to mundine then winning a plastic belt against the likes of stipe drews and fighting guys like anthony van nierkerk, otis griffin, paul briggs, manny siaca and then knocking out a shot roy jones jr who should not be allowed a licence to box anymore.

The Raging Bull goes around again today, in a unification bout against Panama's Anselmo Moreno.

It's the lead up fight to the main event this arvo, the Agbeko and Mares fight (the two men to beat Vic) will fight for the IBF Bantamweight title.

Card starts at 1pm, I'd say Vic might be on sometime after 2pm AEDT.:)

Preview here;

http://www.boxingscene.com/mares-agbeko-ii-moreno-darchinyan-pre-report-card--46745

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back