Opinion The Giants best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the weekend I started thinking about how many of our current team would make our all time best, quite a few obviously. So naturally I started to think about who is our all time best. There is a stack of guys who pick themselves, but plenty are up for grabs, so figured why not argue about it on line with fellow Giants. :)

For some guidelines I thought I'd pick a Ruck, 7 Backs, 7 forwards and 7 mids. Below are my thoughts

Im certain to have forgotten some.

Ruck
It has to be Mumford

Backs
Pick Themselves
Phil Davis
Sam Taylor
Lachie Whitfield
Nick Haynes
Heath Shaw.

Cant imagine anyone arguing with any of them

Contenders- we need 2 of these guys
Connor Idun
Zach Williams
Nathan Wilson
Harry Himmelberg who would also be eligible in the forwards
Lachie Ash
Harry Perryman
Adam Tomlinson
Joel Patful
Aidan Corr
Jack Buckley

I think I'd go Zac Williams and Connor Idun. Perryman stiff.

Mids
Pick themselves
Cal Ward
Stephen Cognilio
Josh Kelly

Contenders
Tom Green
Tom Scully
Dylan Shiel
Adam Treloar
Ryan Griffin
Tim Taranto
Jacob Hopper
Matt De Boar

I'd go Scully and Kelly on the wings, Green and Shiel joining Cogs and Cal in the middle with Taranto nabbing the bench spot as a BnF winner

Forwards
The most open line

pick themselves
Toby Greene
Jeremy Cameron

Contenders
Jesse Hogan
Brent Daniels
Jonathon Patton
Harry Himmelberg
Devon Smith
Daniel Lloyd
Stevie J
Bobby Hill
Rory Lobb
Will Hoskin Elliot
Jeremy Finlayson
Callum Brown
Riccardi

I've gone for Hogan and Harry H as talls (with Jezza)
I've gone with Binga, Devon Smith (regrettably) and the last 2 controversial Stevie J (41 games only) and Callum Brown hasnt played many games but kind of a balance between small and tall.

So the best team

B Haynes-Davis-Heath Shaw
HB Whitfield- Taylor-Z Williams
C Scully- Ward- Kelly
HF Greene-Cameron-Daniels
FF D Smith- Hogan- Himmelberg
F Mumford- Cogs- Green

IC
Idun, Taranto, Shiel, Brown

Someone has been tracking a "best ever" GWS team for several seasons, up to date at end of 2023:

the end of 2023 version is relatively close to what you've proposed.

Right now ruck is Mumford, but I reckon by career's end (assuming no disasters), Briggs will take that mantle.

The discussion for the midfield make-up is interesting: I'd also have Adam Treloar in the conversation, and unsure right now which way I would select out of Treloar/Shiel/Taranto.

I’d take Idun or Pez over pony boy … Treloar is a good footballer but I reckon the above team is a better reflection of gws performance

Oh … and smallgoods smith can gagf

Sam Taylor signed till 2032. Love a one club player. A great retention.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Who’s your favourite oppos
Orange?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I love Petracca, Rankine and Fyfe (although he is now waning)
Jezza is still in my heart even know he left us,Jack Steel the same .
Lesser high profile players I like include Ballard, Zac Bailey and a few others here

Is Rowston a candidate to leave at the end of the year? He should be pushing his claim to make the best 22 and push Ward out but with aside decimated with injuries he is just about the only player left in the VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This sporting website’s ranking of the top 5 greatest players in our history. Seems pretty reasonable, especially their ranking of Toby as our GOAT over Cameron!

Definitely my top 5 and I think almost unquestionable. Whitfield the only other considerations.
Order is debatable, but I'd be pretty close to this, I probably switch Cal and Jezza, but can't argue with Jezza at 2

Definitely my top 5 and I think almost unquestionable. Whitfield the only other considerations.
Order is debatable, but I'd be pretty close to this, I probably switch Cal and Jezza, but can't argue with Jezza at 2
Yes, but not sure who Whitfield, who is definitely in our best ever 22, will displace for our greatest ever top 5. We have had 4 number 1 draft picks in our history so far, and Whitfield is unquestionably the best of them.

Of our other number 1 picks, Patton could arguably be in our best 22, but Boyd and Cadman (at this stage in his career) shouldn’t be given the other contenders.

Of our other number 1 picks, Patton could arguably be in our best 22, but Boyd and Cadman (at this stage in his career) shouldn’t be given the other contenders.
I feel like Patton would be in it, but Hogan (as crazy as it seems on first glance) could easily overtake him by later this year or definitely next year and even now at least has a case.

He's played about a season's less games with us than Patton did but has already kicked more goals and arguably had more impact on the field - he came in when we were struggling after Cameron's departure and really helped straighten up our team and lead our rebound.

But hopefully Cadman takes that spot eventually.

I feel like Patton would be in it, but Hogan (as crazy as it seems on first glance) could easily overtake him by later this year or definitely next year and even now at least has a case.

He's played about a season's less games with us than Patton did but has already kicked more goals and arguably had more impact on the field - he came in when we were struggling after Cameron's departure and really helped straighten up our team and lead our rebound.

But hopefully Cadman takes that spot eventually.
I picked Hogan ahead of Patton in my 22.

Yes, but not sure who Whitfield, who is definitely in our best ever 22, will displace for our greatest ever top 5. We have had 4 number 1 draft picks in our history so far, and Whitfield is unquestionably the best of them.

Agree with all of that.
For me, Whitfield is a clear 6th.

To my eye, Cumming is a walk up AFL player. At the moment Angwin is the player I’d swap him for.
We might need to slightly manage his game time as he has made his way back from different soft tissue leg injuries.
He is much safer and more reliable in the contest than Angwin, and is a better user. Plus I love a right footer on the right wing… those hook kicks can be devastating going inside 50.
With Cogs and Pez back I would go with:
Idun Buckley Whitfield
Pez Aleer Ash
Cumming Cogs Callaghan
Greene Ricca Brown
Daniels Hogan Thomas
Briggs Green Kelly

Gru/Cadman XOH HH Ward
McMullin

Himmelberg lucky to be in one’s.

To my eye, Cumming is a walk up AFL player. At the moment Angwin is the player I’d swap him for.
We might need to slightly manage his game time as he has made his way back from different soft tissue leg injuries.
He is much safer and more reliable in the contest than Angwin, and is a better user. Plus I love a right footer on the right wing… those hook kicks can be devastating going inside 50.
With Cogs and Pez back I would go with:
Idun Buckley Whitfield
Pez Aleer Ash
Cumming Cogs Callaghan
Greene Ricca Brown
Daniels Hogan Thomas
Briggs Green Kelly

Gru/Cadman XOH HH Ward
McMullin

Himmelberg lucky to be in one’s.

Bedford dropped?

This sporting website’s ranking of the top 5 greatest players in our history. Seems pretty reasonable, especially their ranking of Toby as our GOAT over Cameron!

I’d have Phil Davis in my Top 5 at this stage. Would have him at 4 with Cogs at 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back