The Good Friday game, let's make it Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

newcs

Club Legend
May 16, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
How about making the Good Friday game Geelong vs Hawthorn.
The winner of the game will be awarded the "Jeff Crouch Trophy".
Jeff Crouch was the umpire in the 1963 Geelong vs Hawthorn Grand Final.
Just as important, he was the director of the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal for 20 years from 1974 till 1994 when he passed away from cancer.
He is in the Australian Football Hall of Fame.
I'm sure that the umpires would love to see an award named after an umpire.

Just as important, he was the director of the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal for 20 years from 1974 till 1994 when he passed away from cancer.
Not bad

So who plays Easter Monday then?....
Carlton & Sydney
North & Carlton
St Kilda & Carlton

Putting Carlton in there because they get the round 1 game against Richmond but I think you need a ‘big 4’ coupled with a club of a lesser supporter base.

I put Sydney in there as I reckon they’ve earnt the right for a marquee game against a Victorian club.

A genuinely stoopid idea. Even for a Geelong supporter.

I knew I'd get negative feedback from Hawk Supporters because I mentioned the 1963 Grand Final.
Let's just forget the result of that game and acknowledge his involvement in a significant game between the two clubs.
Jeff Crouch did umpire in 5 Grand Finals (including 1966), maybe the game could be rotated so each Good Friday game is a replay of one of the Grand Finals he umpired. ( Geelong / Hawthorn , Essendon / St Kilda , Collingwood / St Kilda , Carlton / Essendon or Carlton / Richmond ).
Jeff Crouch would be the perfect way to link the AFL to the Good Friday Appeal

I knew I'd get negative feedback from Hawk Supporters because I mentioned the 1963 Grand Final.
Let's just forget the result of that game and acknowledge his involvement in a significant game between the two clubs.
Jeff Crouch did umpire in 5 Grand Finals (including 1966), maybe the game could be rotated so each Good Friday game is a replay of one of the Grand Finals he umpired. ( Geelong / Hawthorn , Essendon / St Kilda , Collingwood / St Kilda , Carlton / Essendon or Carlton / Richmond ).
Jeff Crouch would be the perfect way to link the AFL to the Good Friday Appeal

So drop a near decade traditional fixture that consistently draws 70,000 plus (Easter Monday) for a rotating Docklands fixture that coincides with the Good Friday Appeal?

The Good Friday game should have always been North v Carlton (the two clubs that are located closest to the RMH) and have been lobbying for Good Friday football for decades. That fixture would be a 40,000 lock which is all that Docklands needs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL does not need to do any more moronic `linking` to the Good Friday Appeal. It's a pretty farfetched attachment to give it to Geelong/Hawthorn.

The AFL and participating clubs give their pulling power, time and money to the appeal. That's all the linking they need.

Rotate it, give it to North, give it to Gold Coast I don't care. As long as the participating clubs get out and about over the long weekend and help increase the donation pool as they have done then that's enough. It's not about the AFL. We don't need to celebrate Jeff Crouch.

Typical biased and ignorant post. The game should NOT detract from the RCH appeal and playing the game to fit into the day is perfect. North lobbied for 30 years for this game, what has Geelong done to deserve it? Nothing. Go support the Royal Geelong hospital instead as the RCH is 1 km from Arden St.

Seems ideal to play North vs Carlton actually

Essendon v Carlton or Carlton v Collingwood.

Perfect! I mean all 3 of those clubs don’t get enough exposure and big games! Great way to even out the revenue share in Melbourne!

Perfect! I mean all 3 of those clubs don’t get enough exposure and big games! Great way to even out the revenue share in Melbourne!

For many years, Easter would have either:

Essendon v Richmond
Essendon v Carlton
Carlton v Collingwood (if not on Anzac Day)
Richmond v Collingwood

Massive attendances, and many fine encounters.

I can quote a number of examples.

In 1997, Essendon met Carlton at the MCG. A thrilling encounter in front of 83000 saw Essendon beat the Blues by a point and Greg Williams shove field umpire Andrew Coates, which he would later get an 9 week suspension for.

Four years earlier, the same 2 sides met on the same ground. It was the debut of Dustin Fletcher. The final result? A draw! 132 points a piece, thanks to Stephen Kernahan somehow kicking a set shout out on the full.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good Friday game, let's make it Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back