The Good Friday game, let's make it Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Have the AFL considered that people (like myself) refuse to watch or attend sport on a Holy Day and are voting with their feet?

I wouldn't give a hoot if you put Hawthorn vs Essendon on good Friday, I won't attend, nor will I watch it out of protest. Others are probably doing the same or spending the day with Family.

For some (sadly dwindling due to the Leftist agenda), Religion is more important than Football.

There should be no Football on Good Friday, period!
Religion getting banished would be a far better proposition.
Good Friday was the most boring day of the year until the SANFL starting playing on it. We go every year now and have a barbie and a few beers and enjoy a day at the footy

Interesting that Jake Niall couldn't even get a direct quote from Gillon at the lunch if he was asked such a "pointed question."

Actually he didn't get a quote from anyone, he just used one that Gil made in October last year before the fixture came out.

Is this an opinion piece or just poor journalism?

He's a good journo I trust him

Have the AFL considered that people (like myself) refuse to watch or attend sport on a Holy Day and are voting with their feet?

I wouldn't give a hoot if you put Hawthorn vs Essendon on good Friday, I won't attend, nor will I watch it out of protest. Others are probably doing the same or spending the day with Family.

For some (sadly dwindling due to the Leftist agenda), Religion is more important than Football.

Pure, unadulterated dribble.

Us lefties couldn't give two shits about you or your religion. Do whatever it is you want knackers, and stop pushing your shit onto others, PERIOD!

lel

People forget that a large number of neutrals go to these big games such as Anzac Day eve, Anzac Day, Easter Monday etc.
So why are they not going on Good Friday?
People said they wanted a game on Good Friday so the AFL have fixture one, if Good Friday is so boring and there is nothing to do why are you not rolling up to watch it?
There would be easily 20k plus neutrals on Anzac Day so where are the neutrals on Good Friday?
It’s not as if the Pies and bombers are great sides which leaves us with I got nothing to do so I will go to the footy.
Personally I think they should get rid of Good Friday footy as clearly people are busy and don’t have time to go to the footy.
From a neutral point of view a north v saints game is exactly the same as a Pies v bombers game.

The neutrals thing is a myth. There’s not neutrals there on Anzac Day. 20,000??? Try 2,000. If that.

Essendon and Collingwood have about 150k members between them and it’s the one game of the year they all want to go to. The home clubs even sell three game memberships with Anzac Day that sell out quickly.

Obviously all supporters don’t go every week, if so the G would always be sold out.

But Anzac Day is an event for the two clubs and thus all their members and supporters want to go. That’s why it’s full.

There’s plenty of casual Essendon and Collingwood supporters for whom it’s the only game of the year they go to. I know a dozen. They have the day off, it’s an event with a huge crowd, so they make a point of getting tickets and going.

Good Friday? It’s not the same - it may be in time.

Starting with some sort of rivalry rather than North vs Whoever would be a good start.

The neutrals thing is a myth. There’s not neutrals there on Anzac Day. 20,000??? Try 2,000. If that.

Essendon and Collingwood have about 150k members between them and it’s the one game of the year they all want to go to. The home clubs even sell three game memberships with Anzac Day that sell out quickly.

Obviously all supporters don’t go every week, if so the G would always be sold out.

But Anzac Day is an event for the two clubs and thus all their members and supporters want to go. That’s why it’s full.

There’s plenty of casual Essendon and Collingwood supporters for whom it’s the only game of the year they go to. I know a dozen. They have the day off, it’s an event with a huge crowd, so they make a point of getting tickets and going.

Good Friday? It’s not the same - it may be in time.

Starting with some sort of rivalry rather than North vs Whoever would be a good start.

Ok maybe 20k is a push but seriously outside of the GF the Anzac Day game is a huge packaged event out of WA with large numbers going to it yearly. It’s like a bucket list event. I would guess it would be the same in other states.

AFL and MCC members would have a lot of neutrals

Drives me mad when games are played during Ramadan. These heathens have no respect. Blame the atheist pigs.

Play it at Etihad though, Hawks v Geelong can never fill the MCG
When its a GFC home game, it will be the G or KP.

We dont do home games at Shithead anymore. IF the Hawks want to do a home game there, let them - but theyd prefer Tassie over Shithead too.

Wont happen.

GO Catters

I like Easter Monday and would like to see the rivalry remain on that day. Many neutrals enjoy the rivalry and it gives a great finale to the long weekend particularly if the other games have been one sided. It doesn't matter if one of Geelong or Hawthorn are rubbish at the time, you just know it's going to be a great game with a "monumental shit fight".

Yeah, nah. Much as I'd like to agree that a North V Saints game is the same as the Pies V Bombers for the neutral, that's just patently not the case. It might be the case if both North and Saints were riding high at the moment - but we're not. However, North are putting a lot of effort into it and have championed it for years and, biased as I am, I believe we deserve to keep it. My own view would be North V Carlton. However, I think that would be unfair to the Dogs. I don't know why they got removed from the fixture this year. Am I right in saying that the crowds on Anzac Day weren't so crash hot initially?

Won't really matter who Nth play on GF. A North home game at Etihad against anybody is not a blockbuster fixture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it appalling we play games on the Sabbath.

When its a GFC home game, it will be the G or KP.

We dont do home games at Shithead anymore. IF the Hawks want to do a home game there, let them - but theyd prefer Tassie over Shithead too.

Wont happen.

GO Catters

The MCG is Hawthorn’s home ground and Geelong make a tidy profit taking their home game to Hawthorn’s ground to profit on Hawthorn’s 70k membership getting entry in place of a home game in Tasmania.

Everyone wins. Geelong make significantly more cash due to Hawthorn paying them a $ amount per member showing up, Hawthorn get another MCG game for their members (to build its member base) and the MCC / AFL get a cashfall for another 70k crowd. That’s the way of the AFL economy...

Think of it in a way that Geelong are rather generously sharing their home game for a substantially larger gate

How about making the Good Friday game Geelong vs Hawthorn.
The winner of the game will be awarded the "Jeff Crouch Trophy".
Jeff Crouch was the umpire in the 1963 Geelong vs Hawthorn Grand Final.
Just as important, he was the director of the Royal Children's Hospital Good Friday Appeal for 20 years from 1974 till 1994 when he passed away from cancer.
He is in the Australian Football Hall of Fame.
I'm sure that the umpires would love to see an award named after an umpire.
Without reading through the entire thread i thought the same thing. Not with the umpire but that is a very nice touch. I hate waiting until monday to play, Hawks Geelong at the proper time of 7.30 pm friday night would be good, no 4o clock shit thats a joke. Monday could be swans and port, great early season battles the past 2 years. Alternatively Swans - Port friday night.

The MCG is Hawthorn’s home ground and Geelong make a tidy profit taking their home game to Hawthorn’s ground to profit on Hawthorn’s 70k membership getting entry in place of a home game in Tasmania.

Everyone wins. Geelong make significantly more cash due to Hawthorn paying them a $ amount per member showing up, Hawthorn get another MCG game for their members (to build its member base) and the MCC / AFL get a cashfall for another 70k crowd. That’s the way of the AFL economy...

Think of it in a way that Geelong are rather generously sharing their home game for a substantially larger gate

I dont imagine that GFC takes HFC membership numbers into consideration at all.

Do we make money there - if the crowd is big yes. But if the AFL asked where does GFC want to play its 11 home games, first preference would be at KP.

WE are just excited to not be forced to make up AFL game numbers at Etihad so other clubs can sell games elsewhere.

Im sure that getting 11 home games at our home venue will be next.

That said, Easter Monday at G is a good thing so thus far. Could it work at KP - absolutely - and should it be rotated through a 4 year cycle - absolutely.

Will it - its unlikely as the AFL seem hell bent on not giving us the option of having 11 home game at our first choice home ground. But until that happens, we should be making $$ off opposition supporters attending our home games at your home ground.

And lets face it, they are marquee games of the season everytime with few exceptions - regardless of whom actually wins.

Go Catters

North are just a bit crap a the moment in the next 5 or 10 years they may be a bit more competitive and just have them play their rival at the time.

But the blockbuster round money needs to be shared around

Ok give us Easter Monday then.
play entertaining games and im sure that Easter friday will work our better for you.

GO Catters

play entertaining games and im sure that Easter friday will work our better for you.

GO Catters

It's our second year of the fixture.
Last year vs. the Dogs was a thriller and went to the wire.

We won by 50 pts vs. the Saints.
Apart from our poor goalkicking at the start.
We played well.
It was the Saints who couldn't execute simple handballs or field kicks.

I've read a lot of dopey shit on this forum, but the thread title alone puts in the top 10.

Leaving aside all the issues about Good FRiday, why would you change the excellent established Easter Monday thing?

The bind honestly moggles.

If the AFL takes Good Friday off the Kangaroos it will be a disgrace. Let them keep it and build it FFS, let them play Carlton or rotate between Dogs, Saints, Blues who cares? Not every match has to have 80k people there and complaining about the "quality" of a game is disengenuous. How the hell can you plan to ensure two teams are going to play in a good game in 6 months time?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good Friday game, let's make it Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back