The Good Friday game, let's make it Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

I knew I'd get negative feedback from Hawk Supporters because I mentioned the 1963 Grand Final.
Let's just forget the result of that game and acknowledge his involvement in a significant game between the two clubs.
Jeff Crouch did umpire in 5 Grand Finals (including 1966), maybe the game could be rotated so each Good Friday game is a replay of one of the Grand Finals he umpired. ( Geelong / Hawthorn , Essendon / St Kilda , Collingwood / St Kilda , Carlton / Essendon or Carlton / Richmond ).
Jeff Crouch would be the perfect way to link the AFL to the Good Friday Appeal
Yes the 1963 Grand Final really hurts.
And the name Jeff Crouch will raise many more millions.
Very obscure attempt at a humourous thread.

For many years, Easter would have either:

Essendon v Richmond
Essendon v Carlton
Carlton v Collingwood (if not on Anzac Day)
Richmond v Collingwood

Massive attendances, and many fine encounters.

I can quote a number of examples.

In 1997, Essendon met Carlton at the MCG. A thrilling encounter in front of 83000 saw Essendon beat the Blues by a point and Greg Williams shove field umpire Andrew Coates, which he would later get an 9 week suspension for.

Four years earlier, the same 2 sides met on the same ground. It was the debut of Dustin Fletcher. The final result? A draw! 132 points a piece, thanks to Stephen Kernahan somehow kicking a set shout out on the full.

Thats all great but the rich keep getting richer and team's like the Bulldogs, North and St Kilda can't keep up because they don't get the same opportunities.

The bigger clubs need to learn how to share.

Four years earlier, the same 2 sides met on the same ground. It was the debut of Dustin Fletcher. The final result? A draw! 132 points a piece, thanks to Stephen Kernahan somehow kicking a set shout out on the full.

My fault that.

Was sat in that pocket with me mum and I called for it.

Thats all great but the rich keep getting richer and team's like the Bulldogs, North and St Kilda can't keep up because they don't get the same opportunities.

I think you'll find that smaller clubs just need to come up with their own ideas, which can then be changed to include bigger clubs because they are sick of propping lesser clubs up but also deserve the marquee fixtures because they are bigger.

North v Carlton would be perfect honestly.
The Easter weekend is sometimes on the first round which would clash with the Richmond and Carltons commitment. Essendon and North or Collingwood and North would probably work out better if they want to pair up North with a big club. Though seeing that this should be the second biggest time slot for a H&A game, there shouldn't be a problem filling up Etihad with two smaller vic teams. I would guess that it isn't being promoted very well at the moment.

Easter Monday works and eventually both teams will be shit with medium sized fan bases and there will be calls to change the game to be Carlton vs St Kilda, the most enthralling rivalry of the 2020s...

Hawthorn vs Geelong has a day. It's a good day. Usually a sunny day. I like it. Don't change it please.

For many years, Easter would have either:

Essendon v Richmond
Essendon v Carlton
Carlton v Collingwood (if not on Anzac Day)
Richmond v Collingwood

Massive attendances, and many fine encounters.

I can quote a number of examples.

In 1997, Essendon met Carlton at the MCG. A thrilling encounter in front of 83000 saw Essendon beat the Blues by a point and Greg Williams shove field umpire Andrew Coates, which he would later get an 9 week suspension for.

That’s two examples (in terms of noteworthy games)

Pre Coll v Ess ANZAC Day games it was the early season blockbuster...

1990 - Melbourne and Essendon drew 58,984 to the MCG
1991 - Richmond and Essendon drew 31,982 to the MCG
1992 - Melbourne and Collingwood drew 63,911 to the MCG
1993 - Essendon and Collingwood drew 87,834 to the MCG
1994 - Carlton and Collingwood drew 85,048 to the MCG
1995 - Essendon and Melbourne drew 60,087 to the MCG

Post Coll v Ess ANZAC Day games...

1996 - Collingwood and Melbourne drew 53,268 to the MCG
1997 - Carlton and Essendon drew 82,368 to the MCG
1998 - Carlton and Essendon drew 68,077 to the MCG
1999 - Carlton and Collingwood drew 70,037 to the MCG

All through the 2000’s there were plenty of rough diamonds though. The largest attendance was just 53,776 for Hawthorn and Collingwood in 2000. Most of the games drew in the 40,000 round - same as any other home and away game (the fixture got swallowed by round 1, ANZAC Day and the push for primetime football)

Since 2010 the same two teams have squared off in 9 Easter Monday fixtures for an average crowd of 72,500 (larger then the average Easter Monday crowd all through the 80s, 90s and 00s)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not about the rich getting richer on this one.

There is still an aura about the big 4. Without planning or anything, they have grown big games. Look at this Friday night. the greatest rivalry of all time has once again made an appearance.

Easter Monday works and eventually both teams will be shit with medium sized fan bases and there will be calls to change the game to be Carlton vs St Kilda, the most enthralling rivalry of the 2020s...

Hawthorn vs Geelong has a day. It's a good day. Usually a sunny day. I like it. Don't change it please.

To be fair if Melbourne v Collingwood can sustain Queens Birthday (in spite of the 50,000’ish crowds) Easter Monday is safe

Easter Monday has been fantastic, Even when we absolutely sucked we still got 63k people to come out

You want to build tradition but then want to rip a proven timeslot in? Just make it a half competitive team, If the Roo's V Saints suck, yeah change it, but Monday is already sucessful, It wouldnt be as sucessful when you put another two teams in it.

It's not about the rich getting richer on this one.

There is still an aura about the big 4. Without planning or anything, they have grown big games. Look at this Friday night. the greatest rivalry of all time has once again made an appearance.

You mean Carlton v Collingwood. The MCC have predicted 66,000 which is decent (but not outstanding) for two high drawing Vic clubs, at the MCG, in round 3 in the high drawing Friday Night timeslot.

Carlton v Collingwood crowds have been variable for a few years too...

Rd 7 2017 Coll v Carl 70,279 (Collingwood’s 125 year anniversary, in 1992 the same game drew 83,283 which was huge for its time)
Rd 15 2016 Carl v Coll 56,179
Rd 7 2016 Coll v Carl 60,222
Rd 19 2015 Coll v Carl 48,222
Rd 5 2015 Carl v Coll 71,579
Rd 15 2014 Coll v Carl 40,949 (Monday Night disaster)
Rd 7 2014 Carl v Coll 68,251 (Mick Malthouse’s all time coaching achievement)
Rd 15 2013 Carl v Coll 78,224
Rd 3 2013 Coll v Carl 84,259

Before 2013 7 of the previous 10 Carl v Coll games drew 80,000 plus but Carlton’s crowds have been on the skids in recent years. 5 years ago who would have thought Carlton would draw 28,025 to a round 2 fixture against the Gold Coast (or Collingwood drawing 30,941 against the Giants)

That’s not to say that neither Collingwood or Carlton are big clubs but I don’t think there is an aura around Carlton at the moment. Do you?

Last edited:
I want a game on my TV on Good Fri not necessarily a game to go to.
Don't care who it is or where it is.
Leave Hawks v Cats as it is. It ain't broke.

Should be North v Essendon. There's usually a bit of spice to the fixture and they've had some memorable games over the years. Rivalries are organic, you can't just manufacture them

Remove this Banner Ad

The Good Friday game, let's make it Geelong vs Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back