Autopsy The good, the bad and the Blakey. All in against the bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, forgive my intrusion but I just had to say how awesome Larkey is. You guys have an absolute gun there with all of the attributes, and as soon as he starts getting consistently good delivery from your midfield there will be very few backlines that can stop him.

I also sat next to and behind a bunch of Roos supporters yesterday and have to say that they were friendly and good-natured - not at all like my last game I went to against Carlton! Well done guys, and from someone who lived through the Swans of the early 90s, there is only one way that you go from here and I think you are putting together some of the pieces now. All the best and see you again next year.

No, your team sucks!!

So I got to the ground at 11.30 yesterday and was able to watch both teams warm up. When I got there LDU was having some shots, Jy and Jack were in the middle just talking and there were no swans out there.

Over the next half an hour I'd say at least 18 (if not all) of the Swans players came out. All took their shots at goal, the forwards practiced their leads and the mids practiced hitting them up for a good 20 mins each. We probably had 7-10 guys come out with Larkey, JHF and PC spending the most time out there (at least 30 mins each). Larkey was practicing his shots but the other two were more interested in hitting torps from 45out or having banana contests on each boundary (they did take some proper shots as well).

I know in the grand scheme of things it probably had no affect on the end result but I found it really interesting (but not surprising) to see how arguably the most professional team of the last 20 years went about their warm up compared with how we did it.

I know it's hard to criticise the crowd when you're losing by 50 most weeks, but I thought we would get more there given the premiership reunion. Felt a bit sad that the motorcade didn't have more support.

Excellent graphic that points out the difference in one sides good offensive transition system & anothers poor one.

Stephenson, Hall with 51 disposals & 915m gained between them = 2 score involvements
Lloyd, Blakey with 41 disposals & 703m gained between them = 12 score involvements

Might seem petty, but for me, it's games like this that really hammer home the frustration with how we've handled pretty much everything over the last six years or so. Most of the squad played okay, or better than okay, today - clearly there's a decent amount of talent here, and for most the required level of effort was present also, but courtesy of season upon season of headless stumbling, we're completely unable to stitch that together into anything more than yet another comfortable loss, the system and cohesion simply isn't there. So whilst better, more stable teams develop young players quicker through having established structures they can ease into, we're stuck working for little reward, writing off another season of our players' careers as we collectively develop at a crawl...

In short, a number of individual positives - Larkey, LDU (first half), Corr, Anderson, Goldstein - but (unsurprisingly in the circumstances) little to speak of in terms of forward momentum as a team going into next year. Poor disposal hurt us a lot today, and whilst it's not quite as egregious as it has been, our ability to stifle opponents' transition remains a serious limitation on our ability to be competitive. Mercifully, only two more games remaining in this season - desperately hoping we have reason to believe the upcoming reset will give us some shape and a defined route out of the mire the last few efforts have sunk us into.
Great summary.

So many bullshit non calls out there today. Unfortunately we were on the end of most of them.
Yeah there really should also be a free kick resulting in score stat not just the number of free kicks awarded to each team. By the end of a match free kicks are usually pretty even but they quite often hide the real story ☹️

If there's one positive out of the season it's that excepting the eagles game, our players have snuck more consistently into coaches votes (which I rate highly) over the 6 weeks or so.

Although this somewhat correlates with Noble going I don't think it's that simplistic. Just a comment that a few individual performances have emerged in this period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had to listen to some old Swans supporter yelling out from behind the Level 1 members area to "piss off to Hobart you losers". Could any individual be dumber? But they seem to have drunk the South Melbourne aren't dead Kool aid. Kind of sad...

Anyway, we played about as well as we can atm, they are probably as harder working side as I have seen live and pretty well organised. We kept up , sort of, for a while on individual efforts or stringing individual efforts together rather than any system. One of those games that simultaneously shows how far away and how close we are..

I could write a long post but most if not at all has been covered.

Being in hospital I've been lucky (sort of) to have the time to watch the game live on Kayo and also on replay.

The main and only point I will make is how drilled in a system the Swans have compared to ours (yes I know why as years in the system compared to our changes etc)

Literally Swans players would regularly turn and release blindly in traffic and KNOW someone is already there which not only releases the footy, but opens up play for easy inside 50s.

Compare that to our system (or lack thereof) where players either hack blindly, or handball to a player already covered etc.

The difference in knowing a clear system that is automatic like the swans have, to an erratic hope for individual performance to get it done is very stark.

Bring in a person (like Clarko) that has proven he can produce an AFL standard system where players already know what to do, where to be, where to run, and can trust that system will do wonders for our players and our results.

Go North.

MLC

Last edited:
I could write a long post but most if not at all has been covered.

Being in hospital I've been lucky (sort of) to have the time to watch the game live on Kayo and also on replay.

The main and only point I will make is how drilled in a system the Swans have compared to ours (yes I know why as years in the system compared to our changes etc)

Literally Swans players would regularly turn and release blindly in traffic and KNOW someone is already there which not only releases the footy, but opens up play for easy inside 50s.

Compare that to our system (or lack thereof) where players either hack blindly, or handball to a player already covered etc.

The difference in knowing a clear system that is automatic like the swans have, to an erratic hope for individual performance to get it done is very stark.

Bring in a person (like Clarko) that has proven he can produce an AFL standard system where players already know what to do, where to be, where to run, and can trust that system will do wonders for our players and our results.

Go North.

MLC
I'd hoped that we would get a fair bit of that system when we recruited Blakey.

A chant? No, this guy muttered it every time Logan went near it
Oh. He’s the kind of person I was doing the fake chant to mock.

Same kind of idiots who whine “Boomer’d still be one of our best players!!”

Oh. He’s the kind of person I was doing the fake chant to mock.

Same kind of idiots who whine “Boomer’d still be one of our best players!!”
Imagine a world where we kept Boomer for another year, won two or three more close games and missed both LDU and Sleevo...

Went to a pub after the game and was sitting with Sydney supporters who were going on about Blakey. I asked them how they feel about getting extra advantages because of their academy, went down like a lead balloon.

That's unfortunate. Did they all get up and move 1000km north afterwards because it all got too hard for them?

Imagine a world where we kept Boomer for another year, won two or three more close games and missed both LDU and Sleevo...
Exactly.

I feel like posting in response to these posts, “tell me your life’s not going well without telling me your life’s not going well.”

I actually used to respect Lance Franklin for his achievements, exciting to watch etc

He was a complete d*ckhead on Sunday, constantly moaning about free kicks he didn't deserve, strutting around despite being beaten by Corr often, it really is all about him.

Him giving Stevo a pathetic bump to rub in his shocking mistake was pathetic sportsmanship imo. Really poor.

Lost a lot of respect for him to be honest.

Ryan Clarke‘s still alive btw

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back