Autopsy The good, the bad and the Blakey. All in against the bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

Today was pretty much where we're at.

We're the team that need to string together 6 pieces of good play, and does 4. The team that needs to put in 10 good minutes of pressure, and does 8. Needs 22 following the plan, and has 18. We're not that far off, but we're miles off. Frustrating but promising.

I enjoyed the contest. It felt inevitable that Sydney would put the foot down at some point and that North would get left behind. I was ok with it, but when they got out to about nine goals ahead I thought, if they get another I might slip out early and avoid the Swans crowd at the end. And then it was pretty much all North from there, and I was really proud of how they played it out.

Where the * do Sydney pull all these no names from. Warner won’t be a no name for much longer. None of our players would go near him today. They get a ******* leg up with their academy but they they are so far in front of us with development it’s not funny

A lot of it is player development, would Warner be that good with us?

Mahoney would probably be Parker’s protege and a future star up there

Where the * do Sydney pull all these no names from. Warner won’t be a no name for much longer. None of our players would go near him today. They get a ******* leg up with their academy but they they are so far in front of us with development it’s not funny
Warner was highly rated. Same as Rivers

I’m just watching the replay and was wondering why the “massive tackle from Blakey” which the d*ck heads commentating described on JHF in the 3rd wasn’t a trip…???
My thoughts watching it also. It obviously his Rugby League background that taught him to tackle that way, thank god he got into their academy or he’d have never known about AFL.

Geelong do it too. Close, Holmes, De Koning, Stanley, Stewart, even Cam Guthrie's shit brother were all low picks/bargain pick ups/no names that have become vital cogs of that 22. Given Geelong and Sydney have both been the prototypes for what a good team looks like since circa 2010, I think you can chalk both teams' insane success rate to their development programs. Luck plays a role here (injuries, player satisfaction, draft busts that no one saw coming) and the talent pool of both teams is a bit wider than the average team, but you can't deny that they nail it more often than not, while we definitely don't

Absolutely. No big deal but that was crap. Did nothing to earn the goal. Bloke is a star, but has never had to do the hard yards to get a kick. Followed the coin at the cost of playing in premierships and is now quibbling over dollars again. Humility avoids him. Total flog.
Absolutely.
No reason to do that to a bloke who already felt like shit and knew he ****ed up.

Somebody tell Josh Walker to stop reading The Art of Lowkey Defensive Mistakes authored by Shannon Watt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't cough up anything remotely close to 18 for Thomas.

I just think bitching about handouts is meh, I am sick of losing to them but they have been a well run club for a long time and they don't play weak or insipid footy, it is something to aspire to for our own club.
Thank you.

Can we all get over the victim mentality?

He also started counting academy players

If you are on here make yourself known, I want to sit near you every week

As for the sad sack North fan in the same area who said “Will Phillips” every time Logan McDonald went near it, please seek help
Hmmm…not sure if you mean me, but I did begin a ‘Will Philips’ chant when McDonald was having a shot at goal.

It was purely done in jest. But I will seek help if you think it’ll improve my life.

Geelong do it too. Close, Holmes, De Koning, Stanley, Stewart, even Cam Guthrie's s**t brother were all low picks/bargain pick ups/no names that have become vital cogs of that 22. Given Geelong and Sydney have both been the prototypes for what a good team looks like since circa 2010, I think you can chalk both teams' insane success rate to their development programs. Luck plays a role here (injuries, player satisfaction, draft busts that no one saw coming) and the talent pool of both teams is a bit wider than the average team, but you can't deny that they nail it more often than not, while we definitely don't

If we had 15 seasoned decent AFL players then our youth would look pretty good too.

Geelong do it too. Close, Holmes, De Koning, Stanley, Stewart, even Cam Guthrie's s**t brother were all low picks/bargain pick ups/no names that have become vital cogs of that 22. Given Geelong and Sydney have both been the prototypes for what a good team looks like since circa 2010, I think you can chalk both teams' insane success rate to their development programs. Luck plays a role here (injuries, player satisfaction, draft busts that no one saw coming) and the talent pool of both teams is a bit wider than the average team, but you can't deny that they nail it more often than not, while we definitely don't
One little bit of luck I thought was interesting: Dangerfield and Selwood had never both missed a game together, until the weekend.

GAJ, Hawkins, Johnson, Scarlett, Selwood et al have been blessed with injury-free careers.

That might have something to do with Geelong’s medical team, but it certainly makes a difference. Especially when you consider disastrous years like 2016 for us…

Hmmm…not sure if you mean me, but I did begin a ‘Will Philips’ chant when McDonald was having a shot at goal.

It was purely done in jest. But I will seek help if you think it’ll improve my life.

A chant? No, this guy muttered it every time Logan went near it

Couple of observations from the game.
1. LDU was unbelaivable in the first half. Just a boss now. Then it was like he had to run down to the shops and pick up a few things before returning for a couple of kicks in the last few minutes.
2. Chad Warner. Chris Judd vibes.
3. Patch press conference right at the end said something about these kids will be much better with a decent preseason and some system -- thats not from the politely respect-the -previous-coach playbook. Probably the most damning official assesment Ive heard, maybe he's read the report and thought its ok to talk about it.
4. Watching a North player line up for goal. Within 3 seconds Swans are lined up in some sort of grid formation like a Roman Army just in case we try for short pass. No fuss, no drama, just automatic.
5. Watching a Swans player line up for goal. North players looking around for opponents, players pointing a space, Steve looking off in to stands somewhere.
Summary: Swans are a lot better than us. COLA or no COLA.
Postscript. Both me and my wife notice Boomer has a fat arse now. Not fat shaming, but just surprised as it wasnt like that at the start of the year.

Today was pretty much where we're at.

We're the team that need to string together 6 pieces of good play, and does 4. The team that needs to put in 10 good minutes of pressure, and does 8. Needs 22 following the plan, and has 18. We're not that far off, but we're miles off. Frustrating but promising.
its just a reflection of carrying 5 or 6 players that really are not at the level. add to that some fitness and drilling (how many times did we have 2 fliers yesterday and swans had a loose man over the back???) . the fitness and drilling (intthe winds 4th and 5th points perfect examples) can be fixed with work, on the other hand the list issues will be dependent of desisions outside of the playing group/ development coaching).

Hey guys, forgive my intrusion but I just had to say how awesome Larkey is. You guys have an absolute gun there with all of the attributes, and as soon as he starts getting consistently good delivery from your midfield there will be very few backlines that can stop him.

I also sat next to and behind a bunch of Roos supporters yesterday and have to say that they were friendly and good-natured - not at all like my last game I went to against Carlton! Well done guys, and from someone who lived through the Swans of the early 90s, there is only one way that you go from here and I think you are putting together some of the pieces now. All the best and see you again next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy The good, the bad and the Blakey. All in against the bloods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back