The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible troll but possibly the best suggestion in this thread.

A national comp. And we still use "interstate" as a term. A bit sad when you stop to think about it.
I agree.

It's still very much a Victorian-centric competition.

Not a neutral venue. It should be at the venue of the team that actually deserves it. West Coast earn't the right for it to be their home game but instead it is being played at Hawthorn's home venue.
Now how could you possibly organise such a thing? Think about it. You have a weeks notice to organise the biggest single event in Australian sport. You can't simply award it to the minor premiers as they might not even get there. No world class event gets determined one week in advance. It might be doable in a little domestic soccer or basketball league, but not in the AFL, NRL, NFL, FA Cup, European Cup, etc.

They'll move the Melbourne Cup to Dapto before they move the Grand Final.
They AFL won't do anything to cost themselves money, that's their principal motivating factor.

St Kilda have played in GF's where we only played one H&A game at the G.

We also had the disadvantage of having to play the lead up finals at the opposition's home ground.

Christ you non-Victorians bitch and moan.
Fine I'll rephrase. It's an unfair disadvantage to ANY team that has to play a GF at the oppositions home ground. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it being played at the MCG, but the AFL could at least let other teams play there more often to lessen it slightly. Surely you agree?

You perceive there is an unfair advantage, and when actual facts prove you wrong you ignore them. You don't happen to belong to the tea party do you?
Two boxers fight.

Same weight but Boxer A has a longer reach which is a clear advantage in boxing. But boxing B wins the bout. Boxer B winning the bout doesn't mean boxer A didn't have a advantage

Rubbish, they play about a dozen game in Melbourne each season, both WCE and Fremantle had the double chance and home finals yet today the Hawks who had to travel twice won, its fair, it doesn't need to change.
How did Hawthorn go in the finals when they played at West Coast's home instead of their home ground?

Fine I'll rephrase. It's an unfair disadvantage to ANY team that has to play a GF at the oppositions home ground. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about it being played at the MCG, but the AFL could at least let other teams play there more often to lessen it slightly. Surely you agree?
It would be an interesting exercise to compare how many H&A games Hawthorn played at the MCG in the past four seasons in comparison to their opponents (all non-Victorian sides).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's not much the AFL do that is actually equal or fair. No interstate team could ever dominate like Hawthorn has. It simply could not ever happen.

Not really.

Unless of course you want to move your home games there.

The home team should dictate at which stadium games are played. If it suits MCG tenants to play them elsewhere then that's tough shit.

All for removing the MCG as home ground for clubs and ensuring as much equity in scheduling all clubs there as much as possible. Saints, North, or the Dogs hosting West Coast or GWS won't increase the crowd but it will give those clubs a chance to turn a slight profit. So it will increase financial equity as well. But we all know the afl would rather marry revenue and screw equity on the side.

Born and bred.

This might sound shocking but I want a fair league.
If people here truly want a fair and equal league, playing the GF at a neutral venue should be part of that argument.

Take out the corporate tickets and competing clubs will still have more tickets if every ticket was split 50/50 between the clubs - it's stupid how little tickets competing clubs get

I agree, I think if you're been a member over ten years or something should guarantee a GF ticket if that side makes it

Yes, no interstate team could ever win three premierships in a row or anything, especially not... ooh... 10-15 years ago.

That happened because two AFL teams became one - taking the best players from both - a unique situation, Will never happen again.

If people here truly want a fair and equal league, playing the GF at a neutral venue should be part of that argument.
Either neutral venue or the team with the better H@A record gets the home advantage.

Reasonable idea Victorians?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Grand Final should be hosted at a neutral venue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back