The Great Beat-Up: The Drug Problem at West Coast *MB thread*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Great Beat-Up: The Drug Problem at West Coast

This thread is about the club so-called "drug problem".

My question is whether the instance of drug use at West Coast is sufficiently widespread for that phrase to apply.

u started a thread talking about a media beat-up regarding the 'drug problem' that exists at the west coast eagles

u do realise that all the info is confidential, cant disclose who has tested positive, the coach isn't even after the first strike......and the people that actually find out the information are not going to burn their sources by revealing them, hence all of the side stepping around the issue

cousins, arguably west coast's best player, has been suspended by the club as a result of the 'drug problem' that exists at west coast, if ur 'spiritual leader' has to go off to a drug rehab centre most would presume that as a result the club has a problem

Weak and useless !!!!!
Not an argument.

You bag Journo`s yet dont admit there are ones on the mark ,
Where have I bagged journos?

You dont answer questions.
I answer relevant questions that I have an answer to.

Notice not one Eagles fan on here is leaping to your defence ?Why is that ...
Because they don't have the backbone to stand up to the mob.

I expect a degree of substantiation before stories are reported.

I'm a journalist - I do this everyday. You can't just report something you heard because it's interesting.

And if the media fail in that regard, then it needs to be pointed out.

Maybe I'm asking too much for the public to actually know a beat-up when they see one.

All the Jornalists are wrong .. Except for you !!!!
Have the media failed ???

cousins, arguably west coast's best player, has been suspended by the club as a result of the 'drug problem' that exists at west coast...
You say that like it's been confirmed.

If drugs are a factor in this latest episode, then Cousins has been suspended because of a drug problem that exists with Ben Cousins.

How do you equate Cousins' issues to a "drug problem" extending to the entire?

If a player has an issue with booze, does that automatically mean his club has an "alcohol problem"?

Or is the problem confined to a particular player while his club is mostly in good shape?

That's what is going on here.

People are seizing on Cousins' issues - whatever they are - and insisting they are evidence of a more widespread problem at West Coast. I don't see how people make that link.

The "signals"?

I'll respond to confirmed reports - not innuendo.

People on this board are so desperate to believe that Cousins and the club have a drug problem that they've prematurely dismissed the possibility that drugs mightn't actually be the issue.

That just doesn't seem like a sound way of making a judgement.

No just footy fans, not all want WC to have troubles even opposition fans.

:D Your "journalist" in profile was once a clever joke but even that has lost and losing it's humour value... what sort of articles would you write or have you ever written one ???

Late Belated News:
Gunnar Getitrightonedayshanks
Drummoyne Primary School Herald

"I realise you are now all fully aware of the facts but I still am yet to be utterly convinced about......"

deipnosophist (n): a person who converses learnedly at dinner, a table-philosopher
dipstick (n) : a tosser who babbles and dribbles on internet forum, very slow witted Gunnar be Eagles cheerleader

In what respect?

Originally Posted by Gunnar Longshanks

I'm a journalist - I do this everyday. You can't just report something you heard because it's interesting.

Maybe I'm asking too much for the public to actually know a beat-up when they see one.

I accept that he's been suspended and will miss some footy.

I accept that he has some issues, whatever their nature.

But I don't automatically accept that his issues are related to illicit drugs.

I haven't seen any hard evidence that points to that - that's been my position throughout this thread, so maybe you should try to engage it.
Be it alchohol, speed, coke or whatever its pretty clear a bloke who has a record like his has drug issues, whatever substance it is.

Drugs can have the same sorts of impacts whether they be so called 'illicit' illegal or legal.

No just footy fans, not all want WC to have troubles even opposition fans.

:D Your "journalist" in profile was once a clever joke but even that has lost and losing it's humour value... what sort of articles would you write or have you ever written one ???

Late Belated News:
Gunnar Getitrightonedayshanks
Drummoyne Primary School Herald

"I realise you are now all fully aware of the facts but I still am yet to be utterly convinced about......"

deipnosophist (n): a person who converses learnedly at dinner, a table-philosopher
dipstick (n) : a tosser who babbles and dribbles on internet forum, very slow witted Gunnar be Eagles cheerleader
Once again, you fail to make a real argument.

Originally Posted by Gunnar Longshanks

What's your point?

If drugs are a factor in this latest episode, then Cousins has been suspended because of a drug problem that exists with Ben Cousins.

If a player has an issue with booze, does that automatically mean his club has an "alcohol problem"?

Or is the problem confined to a particular player while his club is mostly in good shape?

People are seizing on Cousins' issues - whatever they are - and insisting they are evidence of a more widespread problem at West Coast. I don't see how people make that link.
When a leader who leads the club has an issue with drugs yes it is likely that it extends into the rest of the club unfortunately.

Pretty important to pick your leaders carefully and make sure they are setting a good example.

Be it alchohol, speed, coke or whatever its pretty clear a bloke who has a record like his has drug issues, whatever substance it is.

Drugs can have the same sorts of impacts whether they be so called 'illicit' illegal or legal.
Sure - but the parameters of this discussion are about illicit drugs.

We're not talking about whether Cousins has a drinking problem. We're talking about whether he's addicted to hard drugs.

When a leader who leads the club has an issue with drugs yes it is likely that it extends into the rest of the club unfortunately.
It affects the whole club, but it doesn't mean the whole club has a "drug problem".

That's a ridiculous line to take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it has been confirmed, cousins has been suspended........u dont throw a player out of ur club and ban him from training with the group or even a WAFL team for missing training

cousins, fletcher, kerr all in recent times have been in trouble, and they are the only incidents that west coast let escape........u do realise that these blokes are looked up to by the young 18yr olds that come into the club, need to ask a few of them what they get up to with cuz n kerr etc. u may be surprised!!

We're not talking about whether Cousins has a drinking problem. We're talking about whether he's addicted to hard drugs.
You also asked why people are interested in off field issues, its because they have an impact as we can see from this fiasco.

Whether cousins is an alchoholic or crack addict makes no difference, his addition and out of control lifestyle has taken him from the game and your club.

You were ignorant to this situation and its likely consequences for your club.

Time to face facts and accept the reality.

It affects the whole club, but it doesn't mean the whole club has a "drug problem".

That's a ridiculous line to take.
If your leaders have drug problems, there are problems at your club.

Goes without saying that all clubs would aspire to have leadership groups that are drug free.

are u shifting the goal posts again???

ur title only mentions drug problem, not illicit drug probelm

and now ur talking about cousins the individual, thought it was a club problem??

u dont even know what ur arguing about anymore!

it has been confirmed, cousins has been suspended........u dont throw a player out of ur club and ban him from training with the group or even a WAFL team for missing training
So what's been confirmed?

Sounds like you're making an assumption that Cousins has been using hard drugs.

Whether cousins is an alchoholic or crack addict makes no difference, his addition and out of control lifestyle has taken him from the game and your club.
This is true.

I'm not denying that this episode has had a negative effect on the team.

If your leaders have drug problems, there are problems at your club.

Goes without saying that all clubs would aspire to have leadership groups that are drug free.
Fair enough.

It would be great if West Coast could avoid controversy.

I don't accept that drug use is so widespread that you can say the club, as a whole, has a "drug problem".

ur title only mentions drug problem, not illicit drug probelm.
I think it's pretty clear throughout this thread that illicit substances are the focus.

and now ur talking about cousins the individual, thought it was a club problem??
What are you talking about?

Are you trying to make a point?

u dont even know what ur arguing about anymore!
Er, no - I'm totally in control of my own argument.

If you think I've slipped up, then go ahead and make that case.

Once again, you fail to make a real argument.

Oh I am long past arguing with you just laughing!

But if you needed explaination you do not undertand the nature of journalism or how a story is developed and that news particularly the majority of sporting stuff with high appeal and interest does not necessarily stem from conclusive absolute thorough fact. Due to AFL secrecy policy this issue can rarely ever be based on fact and evidence.

From your OP
That perception was emphasised because Hutchison had no actual evidence to use as a starting point for his questions. A perception - that's what's driving this beat-up. I love the way commentators use "anecdotal evidence" to build their case. What does that phrase mean in this context? Rumour? Hearsay? In most reporting, that would not be sufficient to drive a story - but in this issue, that's considered a smoking gun.

Wrong!

That said, the way this story about the "drug problem" has been manufactured needs to be pointed out.

Dead wrong!!

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what Ben Cousins or any other player does or doesn't ingest in a nightclub. I have no interested whatsoever in this half-baked soap opera that surrounds players' off-field activities. The public appetite for this stuff mystifies me.

Idiot, like so many others on the dark side of the continent

we are still taking about it as are majority of footy fans on the planet.

Shows complete naivity to the subject of journalism, news and how stories are broken..... better study a bit harder;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back