The Great Beat-Up: The Drug Problem at West Coast *MB thread*

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Great Beat-Up: The Drug Problem at West Coast

I've been keeping an eye on this forum for the last couple of days, very interesting. I don't have a problem with you personally Gunner your in a tough spot, but I just can't beleive you are still in denial about this whole thing and are pushing the show me some hard evidence line. Quite incredible.

Why dont you just deny deny deny.

Or instead of looking like a total ****bag, just admit you're wrong. :confused:\
Just show me the evidence, and I'll admit that Cousins and the club have a drug problem.

Until then...

We're talking specifically about illicit substances - not booze, not painkillers.

For me to be convinced that Cousins has a problem with illicit substances, I'd be looking for a positive drug test or a statement from the player or the club making that admission openly.

For me to be convinced that WC, as a club, has a "drug problem", I'd want confirmation that more players at WC use illicit substances than at other clubs. A rash of positive drug tests or an admission from the club that widespread drug use is a problem would suffice.
Entering rehab's not sufficient? I seriously doubt you're a journalist. You sound more like a politcian.

No. IQ level needs to be above 50... sorry 500 posts and you still don't get it!

:thumbsu:

ROFPML:D :D :D ....would you like that on your BF headstone?

.....the sum total & essence of all you have said in the thread!
You simply do not have an argument.

Posts like this just reinforce that.

If my position was so flawed, you'd be able to demonstrate that. But you can't.

Instead, you rely on the support of the mob and playground taunts.

Inadequate.

cousins has been suspended,this is a fact??

the club is being deliberately vague with their reasons............why??
They don't have an obligation disclose their reasons.

I imagine they're abiding by Cousins' wishes to keep the nature of his issues confidential.

Just because I can't explain to you why the club hasn't laid the facts on the table, you're going to conclude that Cousins is a drug addict?

Do you think that's logical?

trophyut5.jpg

Another sheep with no argument.

That's all you people are.

There's dozens of you, all feeding off each other. But none of you have made the slightest impact on my argument.

How stupid are you? How ineffectual must you be?

You're all so desperate to believe the worst about Cousins and West Coast. Why? Will it make you feel better about supporting an inferior side?

Is that where this hostility stems from?

Is this the only avenue for supporters of ordinary sides to re-assert themselves?

He believes the club is drug free.

He said so.
No he said he believes the club is "bordering on" being drug free "but you can never be 100%". That is not a statement of certainty, and given you want statements of certainty from the other journalists involved in this issue, I will hold you to the same measure of accountability.

Don't tell me what I believe. You're not in a position to do that.

I believe they're covering a big story and competition is pretty hot for new information.
So you are saying they're printing stories without proof... I've only said it three times.

Answer the question I asked. Would you print a story without proof, Gunnar?

Just look at these reports that totally misrepresent Worsfold's actual comments.
His admission that Ben Cousins has a drug problem? Or his admission that West Coast may still have a nasty surprise awaiting them?

The story is getting beaten up at every opportunity. That's what happens when a scandal breaks. Journalists are forced to make their story the most compelling, even if that relies on a degree of exaggeration.
Again, you're claiming they're not telling the truth.

The Age editorial? What about it?
I've just given you a tacit admission by your own President that the club has an issue with drugs. The fact you choose to ignore it goes further to prove you're in denial on the issues your club faces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunnar has suggested that there's still no irrefutable evidence that Cousins was suspended for using illicit substances. Despite the avalanche of anecdotal evidence and news commentary, this remains true. Until the anticipated statement from Cousins or more revelatory comments from Worsfold, he can continue his lone defense of what is seemingly indefensible.

Should Cousins not be guilty of taking illicit drugs, we would expect to see an immediate libel action from Ben's management on Chip Le Grand and News Corp, following this piece in The Australian today. Surely this would equate to an unforgivable attack on his character and incalculably tarnish his future earning potential:

IT was as if Ben Cousins had discovered Nirvana. By day he was a champion footballer; one of the best and most celebrated in Australia. By night he let his mind wander and body roam under the influence of the best drugs available. And he felt brilliant.
His favourite drug was cocaine; seemingly the perfect illicit substance for the modern professional athlete.

Where grog fattens your gut and dope stays in your blood for up to three weeks, cocaine gives you a tremendous high, keeps you thin and can be out of your system in eight to 12 hours. It doesn't come cheap. A gram of coke on the streets of Perth sells for about $350. But for an AFL player earning $600,000 a year, money is little object - particularly once you are on friendly terms with one the city's most reliable suppliers.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012432,00.html

Post Cousin's statement, I suspect Gunnar will accept he has a drugs issue, while simultaneously shoring up his assertion that one admission does not imply a 'drugs problem' at his club. Frankly, I'd be surprised if we ever get solid evidence of what really happened during Fletcher, Kerr and Gardiner's misadventures, so it will remain problematic to argue conclusively that the issue is widespread within the club. Despite the mountain of damning unanswered questions posed by commentators.

The dreaded 'semantics' issue will come further into play no doubt. Precisely when does a problem become a problem? Personally, if the spiritual leader of my team had endured similar ongoing public scandal and tarnished the club name while under the influence of illicit drugs, that case alone would equate to a problem.

Another sheep with no argument.

That's all you people are.

There's dozens of you, all feeding off each other. But none of you have made the slightest impact on my argument.

How stupid are you? How ineffectual must you be?

Gunnar, I have to admit, one of the best trolling theads in a long time. You have everyone bitting. But for your great effort, you have taken a big hit on your rep.

LMAO, Gunnar had a rep. :D

Desist Gunnar.

Sure a lot of the commentary is speculation and a lot of over the top comments have been made.

However there is no doubt there are real issues here and a good deal of the speculation is likely to have some substance.

Whether its alchohol or something else is not really relevant to the issue.

Fact is right now Cousins is in crisis and WC have big problems on their hands.

Of course more will be revealed in time but the full story may not come out for years, if at all.

No he said he believes the club is "bordering on" being drug free "but you can never be 100%".
That is as emphatic as any coach could be.

Answer the question I asked. Would you print a story without proof, Gunnar?
Why are my standards relevant?

I would be pretty hesitant to print "unconfirmed reports" from anonymous sources, but most of the journos reporting on this incident have been happy to do that.

How do you define proof anyway?

What kind of proof could these journos possibly have? Photos? Documentation?

If they had that kind of proof, it would have been published.

His admission that Ben Cousins has a drug problem? Or his admission that West Coast may still have a nasty surprise awaiting them?
I'm not familiar with either.

Can you post the direct quote?

Again, you're claiming they're not telling the truth.
I'm claiming certain elements of the story are given greater emphasis than others.

It's selective reporting rather than outright untruth.

I've just given you a tacit admission by your own President that the club has an issue with drugs.
An issue?

Could you be any more vague? What are you actually talking about?

Drugs are an issue for every club. There are preventative measures and counselling services in place at every side in the league.

The question is whether drug use is so widespread at WC that we have a "drug problem"?

Post Cousin's statement, I suspect Gunnar will accept he has a drugs issue, while simultaneously shoring up his assertion that one admission does not imply a 'drugs problem' at his club. Frankly, I'd be surprised if we ever get solid evidence of what really happened during Fletcher, Kerr and Gardiner's misadventures, so it will remain problematic to argue conclusively that the issue is widespread within the club. Despite the mountain of damning unanswered questions posed by commentators.
Smart post.

So what WC supporters are saying:-

When the media beat up how good WC are, how good their midfield are, how good Judd is, this is all accurate and factual and the media are spot on.

But

When the media beat up on the WC culture problem, the dancing on a taxi, the Fletcher collapsing, the Benny run from the booze bus, the Benny drug problem, this is all non-factual and misleading and the media are off the mark.

lol @ WC supporters :D

Gunnar, I have to admit, one of the best trolling theads in a long time. You have everyone bitting. But for your great effort, you have taken a big hit on your rep.
Run that by me again.

You're actually attuned to other people's online reputations?

What kind of loser are you?

They don't have an obligation disclose their reasons.
Fair enough, but they never flat out deny any questions related to drug problems, they skirt around the question and say not to my knowledge, or he learnt a lesson, think we have now sorted the problem............very very dodgy

I imagine they're abiding by Cousins' wishes to keep the nature of his issues confidential.
just like journalists abiding by their sources wishes to remain confidential, the knowledge is out their, people simply cant say anything

Just because I can't explain to you why the club hasn't laid the facts on the table, you're going to conclude that Cousins is a drug addict?

Do you think that's logical?
do you think it is logical to assume that cousins doesn't have some sort of drug problem, be it illicit or not??

Desist Gunnar.
I'm sorry.

Can you walk me through the part where you started to call the shots or give me advice?

Whether its alchohol or something else is not really relevant to the issue.
Of course it's relevant.

The issue is whether a problem of illicit drug use exists at WC.

How did you miss that?

So what WC supporters are saying:-

When the media beat up how good WC are, how good their midfield are, how good Judd is, this is all accurate and factual and the media are spot on.

But

When the media beat up on the WC culture problem, the dancing on a taxi, the Fletcher collapsing, the Benny run from the booze bus, the Benny drug problem, this is all non-factual and misleading and the media are off the mark.
Actually, I don't care for the football media generally.

But carry on.

Maybe you can find a new, super-clever way to talk about how our heads are in the sand.

God knows that line hasn't been used enough yet. I can't wait for the next piece of champagne comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back