The 'Gunnar Longshanks Im gloating by bringing up 1000 old threads' thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The West Coast Phenomenon ...

Why do people think of Cousins and Embley as midfielders, there clearly half forward flankers in the same way that Chapman and Ablett spend a majority of there time up forward too. There our version of Chapman Ablett.

I honestly believe our defence is as good as Adelaides, look at what we did to Collingwoods forward line this week. Dismantled it really. Forward line is coming together, harshly criticised considering how young it is, Sampi Lynch Staker all 22, Hansen Graham 23 and our backups are around the same age too. Just cos you dont know there name doesnt mean there not good. Try expanding your footy knowledge outside of Robert Walls opinion

I'd have to say that Brent Staker has stepped up this season really well (from the gf:mad: ) and players like wirrpanda, hunter, lynch, grayem, evrn rosa, its not a bad team really

Lukazzz777 said:
Just interested whether anyone agrees that West Coast have the worst starting 22 outside of the midfield. This isnt a criticism of West Coast just an observation that the midfield is just SO STRONG that they carry a very ordinary team.

Not one West Coast forward would likely make any other teams list (ok maybe Sampi) and the Punda is about it in the back half.

Conversely if you slotted the West Coast midfield in any other team (possibly Carlton the exception) they would beat the current Eagles team in my opinion.

Now not sure whether any of that makes sense, and it might be a slight exaggeration but is there any merit in this statement?

our backline is fine
glass
chick
hunter
wirrpanda
nicoski

Embers said:
Why do people think of Cousins and Embley as midfielders, there clearly half forward flankers in the same way that Chapman and Ablett spend a majority of there time up forward too. There our version of Chapman Ablett.

I honestly believe our defence is as good as Adelaides, look at what we did to Collingwoods forward line this week. Dismantled it really. Forward line is coming together, harshly criticised considering how young it is, Sampi Lynch Staker all 22, Hansen Graham 23 and our backups are around the same age too. Just cos you dont know there name doesnt mean there not good. Try expanding your footy knowledge outside of Robert Walls opinion

You won by a mere 14 points on your own paddock.

Pies were without Bucks and Trav Cloke.

Cousins and Embley arent consistent goal kickers and stray long distances from goal.

Your views over the quality WC and your players in comparison to other teams in the competition are quite clearly biased by your love of your club.

Embers said:

cousins spends a lot of time on the ball or in the middle.

Lukazzz777 said:
Just interested whether anyone agrees that West Coast have the worst starting 22 outside of the midfield. This isnt a criticism of West Coast just an observation that the midfield is just SO STRONG that they carry a very ordinary team.

Not one West Coast forward would likely make any other teams list (ok maybe Sampi) and the Punda is about it in the back half.

Conversely if you slotted the West Coast midfield in any other team (possibly Carlton the exception) they would beat the current Eagles team in my opinion.

Now not sure whether any of that makes sense, and it might be a slight exaggeration but is there any merit in this statement?

I slighty agree but i would put it in other words.

The eagles midfield brigade is so good, it makes the foward and back halves look ordinary. Personally i think the eagles back line is largely underrated, The likes of Glass, Hunter and nicoski are very important players. Not to mention Punda and CHick.

Adelaide is the best team in the comp. They are pretty much a complete package, moreso than any other team. We're probably second.

there is more to our team than the midfield. the guys in our back line and forward 50 may not be household names but they put in as much effort as any other player going around.

WCE are a fantastic side. I rate them the best in the league. Like the crows they have awesome depth in their midfield with deep rotations and plenty of run. Obviously both sides play through their midfield - WCE more in an offensive vein, the Crows building from defence (this is not to say that we are 'defensive', however).

It's really the class and ability to win contested ball that separate the WCE and adelaide from the rest of the sides IMO. Sure there are forward-heavy sides like the pies and the saints but they are more vulnerable to injury and have less of a spread of contributors. Interesting to note that the crows and eagles have both had a bad run with injuries yet still are playing great footy.

Also must mention that big cox who is a headache.

no one has mentioned some bloke called d. banfield who is yet to come back into the line-up. decent player i hear.

Unless Swoosha gets 'punda to play like a Chris Johnson, he will most likely cost you another flag ;)

Chris Johnson was considered a loser until Lethal got the Scott bros to play like winners to mask for johnson's loose checking.

There are really only three ballanced side in the comp

Lukazzz777 said:

No their is no merit to your statement at all. None, zip, zero.

Wirrpanda would walk into any side in the competition. Glass is one of the top 5 full backs in the competition. Hunter is one of the top 5 CHB's in the competition so their is 3 defenders who would walk into every side in the comp.

Nothing wrong with Chick either, he would get a game at any club as would Drew Banfield. Nicoski is quickly becoming one of the best half back flankers around. Good defensively and his run off half back and raking left foot is so damaging. As for our forwards, Staker, Hansen, Sampi and even Lynch would get a game for most sides.

As Gunnar has said, our running brigade is so large that a lot of times you will find our midfield up forward or down back. Stenglein has done a job for us down back on a couple of occasions this season. Fletcher played most of the game against Collingwood up forward. Cousins and Judd both spend time up forward and Embley is a winger/half forward. Guys like Cox and Seaby also go forward to rest.

So in general your statement was sh*t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jod23 said:
No their is no merit to your statement at all. None, zip, zero.

Wirrpanda would walk into any side in the competition. Glass is one of the top 5 full backs in the competition. Hunter is one of the top 5 CHB's in the competition so their is 3 defenders who would walk into every side in the comp.

Nothing wrong with Chick either, he would get a game at any club as would Drew Banfield. Nicoski is quickly becoming one of the best half back flankers around. Good defensively and his run off half back and raking left foot is so damaging. As for our forwards, Staker, Hansen, Sampi and even Lynch would get a game for most sides.

As Gunnar has said, our running brigade is so large that a lot of times you will find our midfield up forward or down back. Stenglein has done a job for us down back on a couple of occasions this season. Fletcher played most of the game against Collingwood up forward. Cousins and Judd both spend time up forward and Embley is a winger/half forward. Guys like Cox and Seaby also go forward to rest.

So in general your statement was sh*t.

not so at all, Eagles are like the saints a few years back when Hall left and Gerigh wasnt here.....Their midfield is masking some defiency. If Cox and midfield stick together all year u can have a flag, but hard defensive gameplans of the swans and crows will stiffle your game in the finals

Take Judd from WEst Coast and put in Collingwood team,

Collingwood by ?

JuddyisGod said:
I'd like to hear supporters from other clubs opinions rather than our own.

The Eagles backline is very similiar to the Saints IMO.

Solid, unspectacular KPPs (Glass, Hunter v. Hughton, Maguire), a host of good running sweepers (Wirrpanda, Nicoski, Waters v. X.Clarke, Fisher, R.Clarke) and a good lock down back who can also provide a bit of run when required (Chick v. Baker). Overall rating: average to good.

Last year you had Saints proclaiming Maguire one of the best, if not the best CHB in the league, and declaring Hudghton a chance at AA FB. With the Saints getting killed in the ruck and midfield Maguire has been exposed big time and is playing rubbish football, a complete liability.

I would like to see how the Eagles defence goes away from Subi, with the midfield under pressure.

Balance of power I would say it is underrated in Vic but it still has question marks hanging over it.

wirra wouldnt walk into any defence in the comp, he would STAR in any defence in the comp.

personally i reckon there is only one better small defender playing, and thats jimmy clement

(counting hodge as a midfielder, of course)

mgh3535 said:
Take Judd from WEst Coast and put in Collingwood team,

Collingwood by ?

You know. That might be singularly the most dumbest thing I’ve ever heard here on Bigfooty.

chapmanmagic35 said:
They wouldn't have the best spine in the AFL, but they are still the best team in it with the Crows at the moment.
What's lost on people is that our entire spine (not including the centre) is 25 or younger.

It's only going to get better.

Now not sure whether any of that makes sense, and it might be a slight exaggeration but is there any merit in this statement?[/quote]

Shocking thread. If you took Mitchell and Hodge out of Hawks side, they would struggle to get within 10 goals of any side (Blues and Bombers included)

duncan said:
You know. That might be singularly the most dumbest thing I’ve ever heard here on Bigfooty.

Let me join the dots for you :D:D:D:D:Dwit.

The title of the thread is West Coast Phenomenon

The point I am making its more like a Chris Judd Phenomenon.

His input was pivotal in WC winning the game.

You put C Judd in any team they will become much improved or even phenominal.

mgh3535 said:
Let me join the dots for you :D:D:D:D:Dwit.

The title of the thread is West Coast Phenomenon

The point I am making its more like a Chris Judd Phenomenon.

His input was pivotal in WC winning the game.

You put C Judd in any team they will become much improved or even phenominal.

They dont like to concede this.

1. Because he is Victorian.
2. Because he could leave at any time.
3. They dont want to accept reality.
4. They wrongly think it detracts from the efforts of the rest of the playing group.

He is a freak and the reason WCE are 6-1. Without him they would be a different proposition.

Good luck to you, nothing to be ashamed, nothing you should shy away from accepting.

Its a little like North with Carey, he delivered them two flags and without him they were shot. Judd being a midfielder and not a power forward though just not sure if he will be able to get you over the line in Grand Finals and deliver you premierships?

understudy said:
Its a little like North with Carey, he delivered them two flags and without him they were shot. Judd being a midfielder and not a power forward though just not sure if he will be able to get you over the line in Grand Finals and deliver you premierships?
WC also have 2 guys that finished #1 and #2 in last year's Brownlow.

Let's not forget that completely.

Throw in the #1 ruckman in the league and you have a supporting cast of higher quality than North in the Carey years.

Gunnar Longshanks said:
WC also have 2 guys that finished #1 and #2 in last year's Brownlow.

Let's not forget that completely.

Throw in the #1 ruckman in the league and you have a supporting cast of higher quality than North in the Carey years.

True but North had more depth and support across there whole team and squad imo.

Thought Frase got the better of Cox to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back