The 'Gunnar Longshanks Im gloating by bringing up 1000 old threads' thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The West Coast Phenomenon ...

I think that a lot of you have taken my thread in the wrong context and its probably my fault re-reading what I originally wrote. This thread was not intended to be a criticism of the Eagles, just an observation that may or may not have any merit. I think the Eagles are one of the two best teams in the competition and their consistency over the past 2 years has been amazing. I normally follow the best teams in the competition as they generate the most interest for me although I am a passionate Hawks supporter.

Consider this:

Fremantle Team on Saturday with Eagles midfield
Backs: Thornton Johnson Parker
Half-backs: Schammer Grover Mundy
Centres: Black C Judd Walker
Half-forwards: Headland Pavlich Medhurst
Forwards: Farmer McPharlin Longmuir
Followers: Cox Cousins Rover: Kerr
Interchange: M Carr Duffield Dodd Warren
Emergencies: Cook Crowley Peake
In: Cox, Cousins, Judd, Kerr
Out: Carr, Polak, Haselby, Bell

Now have a close think about it and tell me that this team, (if settled) wouldnt pump the Eagles.

This was my point. The Eagles midfield makes the Eagles defence and attack look much better than they would in another side. Look this is just my opinion any and I do not want to criticise such an awesome team, just an observation that might be total CRAAAAAP.

These four guys (Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr) are just so good that the Eagles defenders only receive minimal pressure (lucky if the ball even gets down there, much less on a platter) and the forwards are handed it on a spoon.

Anyway go Eagles.

Actually, the Eagles midfield plays very loose and backs itself to win the ball... or die. They are pretty shabby on the rebound and manning up through the middle... our defence has saved us on more than a few occasions this season. But whatever you need to think about us is fine :)

Lukazzz777 said:
This was my point. The Eagles midfield makes the Eagles defence and attack look much better than they would in another side. Look this is just my opinion any and I do not want to criticise such an awesome team, just an observation that might be total CRAAAAAP.

These four guys (Cox, Judd, Cousins and Kerr) are just so good that the Eagles defenders only receive minimal pressure (lucky if the ball even gets down there, much less on a platter) and the forwards are handed it on a spoon.

Anyway go Eagles.

To a degree your right but in some ways it is actually the opposite. And this is often the case in the way of the world

Because of our midfield dominance teams try to nullify it by congesting the contest, mainly in the back half for obvious reason.

Saturday night was a classic example

The Pies went pretty much man on man early (thanks Mick) but 4 quick goals put paid to that and it was back to the norm

that is, putting 3 extra players in the hole about 20 metres inside the defensive 50 and then try to fast break to an open forward line

Since Woosha solution is to man up most of these players it means the forward line is very congested making it difficult for the forwards due to limited space inside 50. The upside of course is that these extra players drag some our defenders and midfielders forward who also who can contribute to the score. Hunter is a case in point as not all of his goals this year were scored when playing as a forward.

This of course means there are less players in our back half. A forwards dream is to have space to move in so players like Glass normally have to contest in a one on one situation.

I know that is fairly simplistic appraisal but as you can see. Some of the tactics used to beat WCE means the Forwards and Backs don't exactly have an easy time of it

Re: Eagles: Are they the real deal?

de_LICA_ish18 said:
Can they win in Melbourne consistently?

I think No.

We have already won 3 from 3 away from Perth,

We are top.

We had a better than 60% winning record on the road last year and a better home & away win loss record in Melbourne last year than either Adelaide or Sydney ....

Of course I dont expect any of these facts to matter to a Pies fan who likely is still struggling with his times tables .....

.... at 25.

:rolleyes:

de_LICA_ish18 said:

I think No.

Broke the all time record last year by winning 11 games by 4 kicks or less. This season already they have won 5 of their 7 games by 4 kicks or less. Amazing that the 16th team without Hird an Lloyd looked so competitive. But shows how much WC struggle in Melbourne.

The floggings by Geelong and Western Bulldogs, the loss to then 16th Collingwood and the loss in the GF to a tired and travel weary Sydney all in 2006 in Melbourne show why most don't rate them outside their Subi comfort zone.

iscah said:
Broke the all time record last year by winning 11 games by 4 kicks or less. This season already they have won 5 of their 7 games by 4 kicks or less. Amazing that the 16th team without Hird an Lloyd looked so competitive. But shows how much WC struggle in Melbourne.

The floggings by Geelong and Western Bulldogs, the loss to then 16th Collingwood and the loss in the GF to a tired and travel weary Sydney all in 2006 in Melbourne show why most don't rate them outside their Subi comfort zone.

yet they keep winning. :confused:

de_LICA_ish18 said:

I think No.

Passed nice little character test today. Lynch and Hansen finding some form. WCE are nowhere near the top of their game. Today was like the Collingwood game when they had about 8 to 10 more scoring shots. If WCE had their kicking boots on they could have won very easily.

Early days yet but can't complain with progress so far.

iscah said:

The Troll re-emerges from his dank dark hole ....

... feel free to crawl back up there ....

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

very good side, but cannot see them beating Collingwood, Melbourne, or even St kilda in Melbourne- no comment Adelaide, Sydney

iscah said:

If only WCE was as consistent as Fremantle, eh?

given we've won 3 from 3 on the road this season and won 4 of the last 8 down in Melbourne i'm reasonably satisfied with that.

Anywhere care to give other teams interstate records since 2004. I believe i can give Collingwoods, 1 win from 9 - that win being over Freo at Subi in 2004. Now that would cause some concern for a club.

Black Thunder said:
given we've won 3 from 3 on the road this season and won 4 of the last 8 down in Melbourne i'm reasonably satisfied with that.

Anywhere care to give other teams interstate records since 2004. I believe i can give Collingwoods, 1 win from 9 - that win being over Freo at Subi in 2004.

Collingwood's results I/S are of no significance. it is the GF and PF at teh MCG that are.. 4 out of 8 .. not good enough for a flag

iscah said:

wow 4 kicks or less what a significant stat! that means they had a combination of tight victories, 3 and 4 goal moderate victories, and some large victories!

west coast arent great in melbourne, but because we are good enough to beat the bottome sides there and good everywhere else then we are top 4 or top 2

and there is no home ground advantage on grand final day

oc37 said:
Collingwood's results I/S are of no significance. it is the GF and PF at teh MCG that are.. 4 out of 8 .. not good enough for a flag
not neccesarilly the PF. If we keep going the way we are going we'll take a home PF.

And a 4-point GF is nothing to be ashamed about.

Bretski said:
can collingwood win in Perth conistantly?

Who knows but its not crucial to our success. We only play there a couple of times a year at most. WC play plenty of games in Melbourne, and since this is your first of the year I suspect their is plenty more this season. So its a serious question, and I'm sure there are plenty of Eagles supporters wondering about the same thing.

de_LICA_ish18 said:
Who knows but its not crucial to our success. We only play there a couple of times a year at most. WC play plenty of games in Melbourne, and since this is your first of the year I suspect their is plenty more this season. So its a serious question, and I'm sure there are plenty of Eagles supporters wondering about the same thing.

You only play there a couple of times a DECADE at most. :)

Black Thunder said:
not neccesarilly the PF. If we keep going the way we are going we'll take a home PF.(give you that one)

And a 4-point GF is nothing to be ashamed about( against another I/ side).

oc37 said:

Collingwoods recent GFs are 0 and 2 against interstate sides. Not very good is it?

BTW I think Collingwood are a good side, maybe top 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back