'The' GWS.......knock it off

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone ever use GWS or West Coast in any other context other than talking about the football teams.

I've never heard anyone suggest they are gong to the West Coast or they are from the West Coast.

And not that I've had many encounters with the lovely people of Canberra, the inner Western suburbs of Sydney or the areas of country NSW that GWS claim to make up the 'greater' part of GWS but I've never heard it either.

So when lay people people stuff up the names I wouldn't judge them too harshly considering these are invented terms with little historical context.

It doesn't excuse AFL broadcasters. But what can you expect from the firestarter and chaos ball king Dwayne pipe Russell.

Ehh I just think it's too distinctive and manufactured (outside of official documents like census data no one refers to Western Sydney as 'Greater Western Sydney') a name for a team that was always going to have issues appealing to its market which largely ranges from indifferent to outrightly hostile. The colours are enough distinction for the team, beyond that they should've been a generic team like the Suns rather then them being referred to by an acronym no one had ever used.

Ehh I just think it's too distinctive and manufactured (outside of official documents like census data no one refers to Western Sydney as 'Greater Western Sydney') a name for a team that was always going to have issues appealing to its market which largely ranges from indifferent to outrightly hostile. The colours are enough distinction for the team, beyond that they should've been a generic team like the Suns rather then them being referred to by an acronym no one had ever used.
Generic? Yep that would of sold us to the masses.
Just a point have been to enough games and walked around penrith etc with giants gear, and seen the responces, to say if you are going to include "outright hostility" then you should include "outright devotion"

Generic? Yep that would of sold us to the masses.
Just a point have been to enough games and walked around penrith etc with giants gear, and seen the responces, to say if you are going to include "outright hostility" then you should include "outright devotion"

Well it hasn't hurt the Suns.

And sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the amount of hostile NRL meatheads would still outweigh the amount of GWS devotees which going off crowd numbers is not particularly high, and that GWS is placed in the most hostile market in the league.

I'm not saying the Giants won't succeed or at least find a sizable niche, just that the 'Greater' part of the name and the acronym are silly and don't make make sense from a marketing perspective. A generic 'West(ern) Sydney' would've easily sufficed without a problem, just look at the Wanderers.

Well it hasn't hurt the Suns.

And sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the amount of hostile NRL meatheads would still outweigh the amount of GWS devotees which going off crowd numbers is not particularly high, and that GWS is placed in the most hostile market in the league.

I'm not saying the Giants won't succeed or at least find a sizable niche, just that the 'Greater' part of the name and the acronym are silly and don't make make sense from a marketing perspective. A generic 'West(ern) Sydney' would've easily sufficed without a problem, just look at the Wanderers.
Most of the meat heads are indifferent. Not openly hostile. Same as the wonderboys.
Only the papers and some vocal extreme fans are hostile. But the same happened for the 1st 20 years to the swans. Hell they used to bag out the swan name. Now its the biggest club in sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure what is more surprising.

1. That this thread started;
2. That it has generated as much discussion as it has; or
3. That I read all of it and am now contributing to it.

I am sooooo bored. Can we start footy season early please.

Ist there a Smaller Western Sydney as well?

Yes. It's called Western Sydney. "Greater " Western Sydney also includes the Hills District, South West Sydney, the Blue Mountains, the North West, the Hawkesbury. Merely being Western Sydney is too limiting. We're better than that. We're bigger than that.

also 'The Gold Coast'......it's becoming an epidemic!
I've never in my 22 years ever heard anyone here refer to the place as just 'Gold Coast'. As in;

I'm going to Gold Coast for the night.

or

Wanna go to Gold Coast for dinner?

The is always there, and most likely always will be. I actually find it awkward that it's officially 'City of Gold Coast' and not 'City of the Gold Coast', but maybe it's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back