'The' GWS.......knock it off

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it's the off-season I thought it the perfect opportunity to right a wrong that is continually perpetuated in the footy world - mostly by Dwayne Russel, but there are others.

GWS stands for Greater Western Sydney. It is a region.
The Giants is the club's mascot/nickname

The club can be called Greater Western Sydney. They can be called GWS, The Giants, The Greater Western Sydney Giants, and The GWS Giants.

They must never, EVER, be called 'The GWS'. To do so is to reveal to the world you are an imbecile.

I'm noticing it more and more. "Can The GWS maintain this lead?", "There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The GWS", "The GWS lead in the shadows of half time" etc, etc. To illustrate how stupid this is, let us replace GWS with other teams in the previous examples:

"Can The Richmond maintain this lead?"
"There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The Adelaide"
"The St Kilda lead in the shadows of half time"

Let's nip this in the bud before it becomes too ingrained.
Yes he can when it's become a noun.

Nah usually western sydney if as a whole but mostly the regional city (ie blacktown, penrith, parra etc)
We all would mostly prefer it. But the act sponsorship kinda dents it. Ive accepted and grown to love it. So doesnt bother me.
Its not as though anyone in Canberra regards themselves as being in western Sydney, Greater or not. That seems to be a ploy thought up in Melbourne with no regard for reality.
If anything, I would have thought "Greater" might include the south-west rather than just the Parramatta-Penrith corridor. But its still rubbish.

I think GWS would be happy in some instances to be recognised at all.

However what annoys me is the way everyone has played AFL these days.

Thousands and thousands of kids are even playing it, i used to play Aussie Rules, Australian football or Australian Rules football, but i never played AFL.

Can't stop the tide coming in however.

It grinds my gears when Kevin Bartlett says "AFL Football"

The F stands for Football. Saying it again is redundant.

yep the meatheads we have to put up with that get the title "AFL commentators" have annoyed me with "THE GWS" every week. get rid of those dumb apes and just give us 2 intelligent match day analysts. i know you have to give jobs to all the ex-players that have no skills, but why put them on TV, speaking?? make them clean the toilets!!

Yes; if talking about provision of services or Gov speak for strategy for an area that might technically include areas outside Sydney - such as Camden, Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury. There's also a differential between "western Sydney" and southwestern Sydney; which is only ever used by government or the media.
In a strange quirk, the GWS area also includes Manly.

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a strange quirk, the GWS area also includes Manly.

:)

Oh FFS why don't you just pi$$ off. As has been pointed out repeatedly to you and your tiny little brain, teams ALL OVER THE WORLD have adopted the Giants name and or colours. The latest being the newly minted Penrith Giants (used to be the Penrith Swans). Manly is just one of many teams. Just because they call themselves Giants does not put them physically in the Giants area and you know it.

Auburn GIANTS (NSW)
Concord GIANTS (NSW)
Macarthur GIANTS (NSW)
Griffith GIANTS (NSW)
Manly GIANTS (NSW)
Bathurst GIANTS (NSW)
Broulee-Moruya GIANTS (NSW)
Gunghalin Lakes GIANTS (ACT)
East Coast GIANTS (TAS)
North Brunswick GIANTS (VIC)
Korumburra Bean GIANTS Football Netball Club (VIC)
Dartmoor GIANTS (VIC)
Greater Western Suburbs GIANTS (QLD)
Galiwinku GIANTS (NT)
Barkly GIANTS (NT)
Kwila Gulf GIANTS (PNG)
South East London GIANTS (ENG)
Indianapolis GIANTS (USA)
Skane GIANTS (SWE)
Zaprude GIANTS (CRO)
North Leinster GIANTS (IRE)
Greater Glasgow GIANTS (Sco)

And now the mighty Penrith Giants (who used to be the miserable Penrith Swans)

Last edited:
So, this has been bothering me since the team was named....

Is there a "Lesser Western Sydney"?

While it's the off-season I thought it the perfect opportunity to right a wrong that is continually perpetuated in the footy world - mostly by Dwayne Russel, but there are others.

GWS stands for Greater Western Sydney. It is a region.
The Giants is the club's mascot/nickname

The club can be called Greater Western Sydney. They can be called GWS, The Giants, The Greater Western Sydney Giants, and The GWS Giants.

They must never, EVER, be called 'The GWS'. To do so is to reveal to the world you are an imbecile.

I'm noticing it more and more. "Can The GWS maintain this lead?", "There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The GWS", "The GWS lead in the shadows of half time" etc, etc. To illustrate how stupid this is, let us replace GWS with other teams in the previous examples:

"Can The Richmond maintain this lead?"
"There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The Adelaide"
"The St Kilda lead in the shadows of half time"

Let's nip this in the bud before it becomes too ingrained.

First of all 'Greater Western Sydney Giants' is a mouthfull and way too long a name. Get rid of the "Greater" and just rename them Western Sydney "Giants" thus eliminating GWS altogether. Unfortunately the "Western Sydney Wanderers" soccer team have scooped the pool on that name and are currently light years ahead of the Giants with regards to marketing, merchandising and public appeal. Change the colours of GWS so that the team will resonate more with local fans and try and haul in some fans with a NSW flavour to it. Charcoal and orange ain't attraction nothing but flies...GWS needs an urgent overhaul...How about calling them SYDNEY GIANTS?

First of all 'Greater Western Sydney Giants' is a mouthfull and way too long a name. Get rid of the "Greater" and just rename them Western Sydney "Giants" thus eliminating GWS altogether. Unfortunately the "Western Sydney Wanderers" soccer team have scooped the pool on that name and are currently light years ahead of the Giants with regards to marketing, merchandising and public appeal. Change the colours of GWS so that the team will resonate more with local fans and try and haul in some fans with a NSW flavour to it. Charcoal and orange ain't attraction nothing but flies...GWS needs an urgent overhaul...How about calling them SYDNEY GIANTS?
How about. No.

Unfortunately the "Western Sydney Wanderers" soccer team have scooped the pool on that name and are currently light years ahead of the Giants with regards to marketing, merchandising and public appeal. Change the colours of GWS so that the team will resonate more with local fans and try and haul in some fans with a NSW flavour to it. Charcoal and orange ain't attraction nothing but flies...GWS needs an urgent overhaul...How about calling them SYDNEY GIANTS?

UyT1PKT.gif

Thanks for the laugh.

General gripes thread? I don't like Geelong being referred to as the "Geelong Cats" on game day. It's the Geelong Football Club and the Cats is the nickname. Other clubs are not referred that way on programs/record whatever.

I know this was a club decision, but I still don't like it.
Wasn't it a copyright decision?

Oh FFS why don't you just pi$$ off. As has been pointed out repeatedly to you and your tiny little brain, teams ALL OVER THE WORLD have adopted the Giants name and or colours. The latest being the newly minted Penrith Giants (used to be the Penrith Swans). Manly is just one of many teams. Just because they call themselves Giants does not put them physically in the Giants area and you know it.

Auburn GIANTS (NSW)
Concord GIANTS (NSW)
Macarthur GIANTS (NSW)
Griffith GIANTS (NSW)
Manly GIANTS (NSW)
Bathurst GIANTS (NSW)
Broulee-Moruya GIANTS (NSW)
Gunghalin Lakes GIANTS (ACT)
East Coast GIANTS (TAS)
North Brunswick GIANTS (VIC)
Korumburra Bean GIANTS Football Netball Club (VIC)
Dartmoor GIANTS (VIC)
Greater Western Suburbs GIANTS (QLD)
Galiwinku GIANTS (NT)
Barkly GIANTS (NT)
Kwila Gulf GIANTS (PNG)
South East London GIANTS (ENG)
Indianapolis GIANTS (USA)
Skane GIANTS (SWE)
Zaprude GIANTS (CRO)
North Leinster GIANTS (IRE)
Greater Glasgow GIANTS (Sco)

And now the mighty Penrith Giants (who used to be the miserable Penrith Swans)
While the Giants keep sponsoring the Manly senior club and only paying lip service to senior clubs in their own demographic, I'll keep mentioning it.

Sponsoring the Penrith junior club is a promising move though. The Giants may actually work out how to get out here now.

:D

While the Giants keep sponsoring the Manly senior club and only paying lip service to senior clubs in their own demographic, I'll keep mentioning it.

Sponsoring the Penrith junior club is a promising move though. The Giants may actually work out how to get out here now.

:D
You do realise it's not a sponsorship? The club doesn't fund the lower level teams that carry the name Giants.
If they did Collingwood would have to "sponsor" 200 + clubs in the country with that same moniker.
Because your nickname is the same as an AFL club, it doesn't mean the AFL club pays them cash to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back