'The' GWS.......knock it off

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. It's called Western Sydney. "Greater " Western Sydney also includes the Hills District, South West Sydney, the Blue Mountains, the North West, the Hawkesbury. Merely being Western Sydney is too limiting. We're better than that. We're bigger than that.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how making your name more inclusive makes the club bigger?

I am not sure what is more surprising.

1. That this thread started;
2. That it has generated as much discussion as it has; or
3. That I read all of it and am now contributing to it.

I am sooooo bored. Can we start footy season early please.

I agree. Think OP might be about to go postal.

While it's the off-season I thought it the perfect opportunity to right a wrong that is continually perpetuated in the footy world - mostly by Dwayne Russel, but there are others.

GWS stands for Greater Western Sydney. It is a region.
The Giants is the club's mascot/nickname

The club can be called Greater Western Sydney. They can be called GWS, The Giants, The Greater Western Sydney Giants, and The GWS Giants.

They must never, EVER, be called 'The GWS'. To do so is to reveal to the world you are an imbecile.

I'm noticing it more and more. "Can The GWS maintain this lead?", "There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The GWS", "The GWS lead in the shadows of half time" etc, etc. To illustrate how stupid this is, let us replace GWS with other teams in the previous examples:

"Can The Richmond maintain this lead?"
"There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The Adelaide"
"The St Kilda lead in the shadows of half time"

Let's nip this in the bud before it becomes too ingrained.

'The Arsenal'.

While it's the off-season I thought it the perfect opportunity to right a wrong that is continually perpetuated in the footy world - mostly by Dwayne Russel, but there are others.

GWS stands for Greater Western Sydney. It is a region.
The Giants is the club's mascot/nickname

The club can be called Greater Western Sydney. They can be called GWS, The Giants, The Greater Western Sydney Giants, and The GWS Giants.

They must never, EVER, be called 'The GWS'. To do so is to reveal to the world you are an imbecile.

I'm noticing it more and more. "Can The GWS maintain this lead?", "There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The GWS", "The GWS lead in the shadows of half time" etc, etc. To illustrate how stupid this is, let us replace GWS with other teams in the previous examples:

"Can The Richmond maintain this lead?"
"There are rumours swirling that player X will be joining The Adelaide"
"The St Kilda lead in the shadows of half time"

Let's nip this in the bud before it becomes too ingrained.

Dwayne Russell is the best commentator in the game.

I think GWS would be happy in some instances to be recognised at all.

However what annoys me is the way everyone has played AFL these days.

Thousands and thousands of kids are even playing it, i used to play Aussie Rules, Australian football or Australian Rules football, but i never played AFL.

Can't stop the tide coming in however.

Does anyone ever use GWS or West Coast in any other context other than talking about the football teams.

Yes; if talking about provision of services or Gov speak for strategy for an area that might technically include areas outside Sydney - such as Camden, Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury. There's also a differential between "western Sydney" and southwestern Sydney; which is only ever used by government or the media.

I agree. Think OP might be about to go postal.

Yes, but only in the Jack Danger Brooklyn Nine-Nine sense of the term.

bnn3.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back