'The' GWS.......knock it off

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They should ditch "Giants" also. (Besides, what if other teams have taller players or if on a particular era, they have nothing but short players?)
They should also get rid of charcoal black in their colour scheme ans re-design their shit guernsey.
Yes because power is an awesome name.....

maxresdefault.jpg

Makes sense in a marketing point of view. 'you see western sydney play saturday?' 'who?' 'the western sydney giants in the afl' 'oh, na i didnt.'
compare this with 'you see gws play?' Instant brand recognition, once they develop support, history and into a club rather than a franchise, they will be better off for the unique name. Kind of has a QPR ring about it...

Makes sense in a marketing point of view. 'you see western sydney play saturday?' 'who?' 'the western sydney giants in the afl' 'oh, na i didnt.'
compare this with 'you see gws play?' Instant brand recognition, once they develop support, history and into a club rather than a franchise, they will be better off for the unique name. Kind of has a QPR ring about it...
But but its not happening straight away.
The way they go on they must be under 20. No patience.

compare this with 'you see gws play?' Instant brand recognition,

If you run an intelligence agency. As for QPR, it stinks, that's why more and more are calling them "Queen's Park" or "rangers", which has a much better ring to it.

If you run an intelligence agency. As for QPR, it stinks, that's why more and more are calling them "Queen's Park" or "rangers", which has a much better ring to it.
Considering QPR have been around since 1882, i reckon people know who they are by now. I follow them and call them QPR, but the point is "Greater Western Sydney Giants" is a mouthful, it doesn't flow like Queens Park Rangers or West Coast Eagles. They need to drop the "Greater" It's not too late to refine the club brand and colour scheme. Fremantle and the Western Bulldogs have both either re-named or re-branded in recent years. I am of the belief St.Kilda should do the same. GWS are in their infancy and need to make adjustments now. Western Sydney Wanderers have already a HUGE foot in the door ahead of them up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure supporters of every club say that same thing in any thread about their team.
Hey if this was in the bay all well and good.
But i bet a grand if i started a thread having a go at say Port Powers name, or that most players in vic dont live in their teams region it would be shut down asap. How about a what the hell is a West Coast or a Western?

Hey if this was in the bay all well and good.
But i bet a grand if i started a thread having a go at say Port Powers name, or that most players in vic dont live in their teams region it would be shut down asap. How about a what the hell is a West Coast or a Western?

That has already been discussed earlier in this thread and the posts remain up. Posting negative opinions about your club does not automatically constitute trolling. I did not construe this thread as trolling. Neither has any of the main board mods that have viewed this thread since it was created. We have received no reports from anyone to take down this thread.

Report any posts you find problematic and move on. If you insist on derailing the thread or complaining about moderation practices, we will take further action.

No further warnings.

1- We play in the inner west, true, but last i looked there are no AFL calibre stadiums anywhere else (and the NSW government had no interest in building one)

2- We had nothing but kids and retirees because no one would trade with us, and those that tried to only offered spuds (confirmed by CEO Matthews)

3- Yes the AFL has spent millions of dollars in western sydney, BUT as a club we arent losing that much money due to large sponsorships and a great stadium deal. Does the money the AFL spends on the game in WA, SA, Qld and Vic get included on the other clubs losses??

4- The benefits we got were voted on and offered to us by YOUR clubs. Not our fault. Take it to your own bosses.

Hmmm What else

5- Colours, we arent NSW so Skyblue was always out

6- The Greater name- Well part of our sponsor ship is playing games in canberra so can understand why the name is there, it will probably go the moment the deal ends.

7- The Giants name- well theres reasoning behind it. What we are trying to build here etc. Plus a hell of allot better than power or a few other names out there (wolves? Please.....)

Think that about covers it.

Last edited by a moderator:
6- The Greater name- Well part of our sponsor ship is playing games in canberra so can understand why the name is there, it will probably go the moment the deal ends.
See, this is the bit I don;t get. Nobody inCanberra regards themselves as being in Western Sydney, Greater or otherwise. It has no relevance to here and could be dumped now without affecting anything in the ACT.
If its to show that its the whole of Western Sydney, fair enough. I'd rather the Greater got dropped, but that's for your club to decide. Just don't pretend it adds one iota of connection to Canberra. Some marketing wonk in Melbourne or Sydney might think it does. If so, they get paid $250k a year to be wrong.

See, this is the bit I don;t get. Nobody inCanberra regards themselves as being in Western Sydney, Greater or otherwise. It has no relevance to here and could be dumped now without affecting anything in the ACT.
If its to show that its the whole of Western Sydney, fair enough. I'd rather the Greater got dropped, but that's for your club to decide. Just don't pretend it adds one iota of connection to Canberra. Some marketing wonk in Melbourne or Sydney might think it does. If so, they get paid $250k a year to be wrong.

Yeah, I'd agree on the Canberra business. However absolutely no one calls it the full "Greater Western Sydney" and GWS has become a pretty well-known shorthand for the club so as much as I was on record not liking the name, at this point I'd rather stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back