Remove this Banner Ad

benno87

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2003
London
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shane Clayton - The Honest Story,

This subject has been discussed to the death, week after week I know. But I have not read this once [sorry if you have posted this, dont read every thread] but the honest analysis IMO of Shane CLayton after Seeing him against Geelong and other games this season:

He is a premiership player, with ability and can kick the footy. He made I think maybe 1 wrong decision on the weekend when he had the footy, and delivered the ball well in the small amount of game time he had, BUT he is not what the Kangaroos Football Club need, and he doesnt provide anything different or special about his game, there are no stand out features to him game.

Now I think he could be useful at another club, but not at North Melbourne. He would be useful as a wingman for a struggling young club such as Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Geelong or Melbourne who lack leadership players and premiership players. With his experience and leadership he would be useful at one of those clubs, but at the Kagaroos we have the best Leadership group in the AFL according to Geelong coach Mark 'Bomber' Thomson with Stevens, Archer, Colbert, King, Rocca and leaders of the future Simpson, Harvey, Sinclair and Grant. So leadership and premiership players are not what we need.

Clayton playing on our wing or coming of our bench into the midfield restricts game time for the likes of M.Stevens, Harris and Wells. Clayton may provide something inside the club i'm missing, though I doubt that, so I wont be surprised if he is traded at the post of the season.

But those discussing Claytons football ability please dont follow the flow of other narrow minded people, and think for yourself as the great posters here do [Carlos, Darky, Moomba]

Someone challange my theory or agree if you do...?

Originally posted by benno87
He is a premiership player, with ability and can kick the footy.
So is Cameron Mooney.:eek: ....well the ability part can be disputed.;)

Clayton got his share of possies again last week and some were even constructive. That`s not the point. There are receivers who hang just off the contest or run forward of the play and are damaging. Clayton is mostly out on his own and gets his possies that way. I think the opposition coaches are prepared to play the odds as how many times have heard commentators say that he is always out on his own.

That kind of player can be helpful in winning teams, but not so useful otherwise. If that is a fair enough assessment of how he plays, then I don`t see why we would want that kind of player. It`s not against Clayton personally, rather against that kind of player. JMO.

with ability and can kick the footy.
hmmm, donno bout that!!

He made I think maybe 1 wrong decision on the weekend when he had the footy, and delivered the ball well in the small amount of game time he had
agree

BUT he is not what the Kangaroos Football Club need, and he doesnt provide anything different or special about his game, there are no stand out features to him game.
also agree!!

Now I think he could be useful at another club, but not at North Melbourne. He would be useful as a wingman for a struggling young club such as Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Geelong or Melbourne who lack leadership players and premiership players. With his experience and leadership he would be useful at one of those clubs
leadership?? dont think he would offer much of that. although granted he may become a good player at a sh1t club like carlton.

Clayton playing on our wing or coming of our bench into the midfield restricts game time for the likes of M.Stevens, Harris and Wells. Clayton may provide something inside the club i'm missing, though I doubt that, so I wont be surprised if he is traded at the post of the season.
true, he does restrict game time of younger more talented players and that irritates me beyond belief. however to say that he would be traded is a bit off the mark, as he would have little trade value. granted he is a premiership player and all that, but i doubt there would be any coaches interested in swapping someone for him. he may end up at carlton via a very late draft pick, but we would have to delist him first. *fingers crosses*

think for yourself as the great posters here do [Carlos, Darky, Moomba]
thanks for the mention benno :p

Yes, he can kick the footy- properly- sometimes.
He does kick the footy, properly- sometimes.
He is a premiership players.

He is not needed on our list. If anybody else wants him - I would be happy for them to take him.

He doesn't provide alot of leadership, he doesn't do alot else, he is not worth keeping.

Go Roos

I'm no Clayton fan, but I believe he is in our best 22...

He consistantly finds space and usually ends up with 12 to 15 reasonable touches...
He even chimes in with the occassion goal...

He is not liked because he is as soft as anyone that has ever played the game and that is highlighted even more by having an Archer and a few others in our team who are as tough as they come...

What must be remembered, is that in most of his games he contributes...

He is not the reason some of the other mentioned fringe players are not getting a regular game, their personal form is the reason for that...

So, in my opinion, while he is contributing we need to pick him and play him...

Stewart

Originally posted by stewart
I'm no Clayton fan, but I believe he is in our best 22...

He consistantly finds space and usually ends up with 12 to 15 reasonable touches...
He even chimes in with the occassion goal...

He is not liked because he is as soft as anyone that has ever played the game and that is highlighted even more by having an Archer and a few others in our team who are as tough as they come...

What must be remembered, is that in most of his games he contributes...

He is not the reason some of the other mentioned fringe players are not getting a regular game, their personal form is the reason for that...

Stewart
would u delist him this year?? if not, who would u delist?? and if u would delist him then he is hardly in our best 22.

Originally posted by year of the roo
would u delist him this year?? if not, who would u delist?? and if u would delist him then he is hardly in our best 22.

Can you honestly answer your questions easily...??

I'm not sure what the answers are...We delisted Micky Martyn twice, didn't we...?

If delisting Clayton allows for another fringe player to stay on our list for another season, then I say keep him (Clayton)...

Remember it is not the most liked 22 that should be picked each week...If that was the case, I would say he should be the first to go, but fortunately our selectors are above picking players by their appeal to the fans...

Stewart

Leadership wasnt a good word. Maybe a sense of knowledge of some sort as he is a premiership player. And a premiership is worth about 50 games experienmce atleast, and players are lucky to experience one in their career. This may be something Melbourne is looking for, or even Carlton, with limited to no Premiership players...

I would trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick and I thnik we could get that. Other players gone I think are :
- Bourke [had the opportunity, didnt perform, hasnt shown anything in twos] who will be delisted or retire.
- S.Motlop [ditto]
And Maybe
- D.Smith [Doesnt get a chance this season Laidley doesnt like him could be traded for his 6th Draft Pick, if he does and screws it up he is over]

Can you honestly answer your questions easily...??

I'm not sure what the answers are...We delisted Micky Martyn twice, didn't we...?

If delisting Clayton allows for another fringe player to stay on our list for another season, then I say keep him (Clayton)...

Remember it is not the most liked 22 that should be picked each week...If that was the case, I would say he should be the first to go, but fortunately our selectors are above picking players by their appeal to the fans...

Stewart

I'm with you Stewart. We can hypothesise as much as we like and bag the absolute crap out of Clayton (which incidentally I do not), but at the end of the day it is the selectors who make the decisions.

I happen to be pretty comfortable with that arrangement, as I believe that compared with our collective knowledge and opinions as to who should or should not be picked, they are the people in the very best position to make judgements, not us.

And if they stuff up then they will get the bullet and a different mob will take their place.

So for goodness sake can we just give this topic of bagging and dissecting Shane Clayton ad nauseum a rest. It is worse than reading the pontifications of Mike Sheehan.

Leadership wasnt a good word. Maybe a sense of knowledge of some sort as he is a premiership player. And a premiership is worth about 50 games experienmce atleast, and players are lucky to experience one in their career. This may be something Melbourne is looking for, or even Carlton, with limited to no Premiership players...

I would trade him for a 3rd or 4th round pick and I thnik we could get that. Other players gone I think are :
- Bourke [had the opportunity, didnt perform, hasnt shown anything in twos] who will be delisted or retire.
- S.Motlop [ditto]
And Maybe
- D.Smith [Doesnt get a chance this season Laidley doesnt like him could be traded for his 6th Draft Pick, if he does and screws it up he is over]

If Clayts is as bad as he is supposed to be, how could we ask for a 3rd or 4th round trade pick?:confused:

No doubt you're basing that opinion on the whole zero Murray Kangaroos/Port Melbourne games you've seen in the last 5 years?

I actually think he's been a more than handy contributor since the Melbourne game.

He would appear to have turned the 'soft' corner, and if he continues to play as he has for the last few games, then both he and our club will be better for it.

What has surprised me recently is his body shape... he is definately becoming a lot bigger... now if he can keep his pace and learn to use what size he has... (no sex jokes required) he could develop into a very decent player... especially if we persist with our current game plan... how old is he again??? from memory he ain't that old...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Rooboy 96
What has surprised me recently is his body shape... he is definately becoming a lot bigger... now if he can keep his pace and learn to use what size he has... (no sex jokes required) he could develop into a very decent player... especially if we persist with our current game plan... how old is he again??? from memory he ain't that old...

Was watching the Manuka game, saw Shane, and thought wow he's definatley been in the gym. Who know's, he probably know's he's under pressure, decided to do something about it.

ps, Wonder how he would go playing in the forward line, he can be a very good shot for goal.

I'm might be going out on a limb here, but I reckon Dean Laidley and the coaching staff know more about AFL and what is required to play AFL than anyone here, including myself. So as long as Dean continues to choose Clayton in the side, I'll continue to support him. The guy has played almost 100 games in four and half seasons in a team that has been perrenial finalists, so he can't be that bad.

Clayton is only 24.

I would think that he will be around this club for a few years yet.

The selection committee will pick him as long as he does what the coach instructs and contributes.

Originally posted by DEVO
I'm might be going out on a limb here, but I reckon Dean Laidley and the coaching staff know more about AFL and what is required to play AFL than anyone here, including myself.

There is a very apt saying that applies to all of us unpaid selectors on this Board ...

"You get what you pay for!!";)

I spoke to Shane at the c*cktail party the other week about what appeared to be a new body shape.

He said he had done nothing special and hadn't really noticed any noticable change.

I then (jokingly) suggested perhaps it was the shaved head making his head appear smaller. He agreed.

I'm not going to contribute much more more to this thread as i've said enough good & bad things about this bloke over the journey.

All i will say is that i'd like to think in the next year or so we will have players developing who will be able to contribute mor ein every aspect of their game to make it hard for him to get a regular game.

Namely, Ash Watson.

Originally posted by Carlos

Namely, Ash Watson.

I've noticed that since Watson was dropped (supposedly for missing training) he has not appeared in Borough's best players, and the last few weeks there was virtually no mention of him anywhere. Is he even playing at the moment, does anyone know?

I am just worried that the kid hasn't gone off the rails...

Originally posted by vlad76
I've noticed that since Watson was dropped (supposedly for missing training) he has not appeared in Borough's best players, and the last few weeks there was virtually no mention of him anywhere. Is he even playing at the moment, does anyone know?

I am just worried that the kid hasn't gone off the rails...
Has definately played every game up to the last couple, which i didnt go to (f*cking stupid fixturing!! :mad: ) but he hasnt appeared in the injured players.

And by no means have i seen any evidence of him going off the rails or the like. Has been very solid in every other game i've seen. The excellent use of the ball has still very much been there, although perhaps the quantity has reduced along with the score board pressure.

But encouragingly he has been IMO displaying an ever-increasinging willingness to do the harder things and put his body on the line alot more.

I wouldnt worry too much about Ash. He'll be a top 5 player at this club in 3-4 years time IMO.

Originally posted by DEVO
I'm might be going out on a limb here, but I reckon Dean Laidley and the coaching staff know more about AFL and what is required to play AFL than anyone here, including myself. So as long as Dean continues to choose Clayton in the side, I'll continue to support him.

That's great, and I admire your blind faith in our coaching panel, but if we were all this way inclined we'd have no BigFooty. What would we have to talk about?

Originally posted by windsock
That's great, and I admire your blind faith in our coaching panel, but if we were all this way inclined we'd have no BigFooty. What would we have to talk about?

The weather. It's a cold but sunny 6 degrees in Canberra at the Moment, but the "experts" reckon it could reach the dizzying heights of 10.

FWIW, Paul Hamilton defended Clayton last night on Sport 927 for his tagging work. Said that Cameron Bruce had picked up 22 possessions to half-time against the Roos recently and that Clayton had restricted him to three possessions (2 goals) for the second half.

I'm pretty sure that Clayts is serving the first year of a two year contract, so there will be no delisting at the end of the year.

He has been good in his last few games and is earning his spot at the moment.

If Watson and Co step up next year to play regular seniors, the worst case scenario for the Roos is that we improve our depth with Clayton in the squad. Although, I have a funny feeling that Shane is on the verge of playing some really good footy for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Honest Analysis of the Clayton Factor:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back