NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

The way the broncos are going, not budging on these value picks being offered, will just mean by draft day, with cutler still determined to want out and the broncos realizing they cant start the season with a QB who doesnt want to be here, will become desperate to deal him for like a low 1st rounder or 2nd in the end.

Further McDaniels bone-headedness.

If they were smart they'd accept the #1 overall, then trade it for another QB, draft one, or trade it for a bunch of picks and draft a bunch of value defensive talent.

GG, I gotta agree with you matey... if he wants out, do a deal... if they can't afford the $$ a 1st rounder brings, trade it off...

All sounds very amateurish to me.

Can someone slap Pat Bowlen and get him to sort this crap out.

20090324__mcdaniels~p1.jpg

It's hardly fair you jump on McD's back over this. I very strongly doubt, that McDaniels himself chose to have a Cutler jersey. Once he was up on stage with it, how else do you expect him to react? I think he handled it quite well, if he pouted and looked angry it would have created even more animosity...

Simplistic in itself don't you think??

Quite easy to get good yards on the ground when the defense is focused on a one dimensional offense.

Yes I admit it is a little simplistic. The point I was trying to illustrate though, was the fact the offense didn't rest squarely on Cutler's shoulders. We had a running game that although used sparingly, did manage some success. I never understood why we didn't have a more balanced offense....

Massive news -

News
Bowlen says Broncos will try to trade Cutler

Posted: News | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Denver Broncos, Jay Cutler, Josh McDaniels, Pat Bowlen
It’s official: QB Jay Cutler and the Denver Broncos are getting a divorce.
After a contentious and over a month-long falling-out between Cutler and new coach Josh McDaniels couldn’t be resolved, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen issued the following statement today:
“Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by Head Coach Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful. A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos. We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded.”
The bad blood between the QB and McDaniels started in late February when word leaked that the new coach reportedly had discussed a deal that would have brought Matt Cassel to Denver and shipped out Cutler. McDaniels tutored Cassel in New England.

Well there you go. I honestly didn't think it would end this way. Anyhow, Browns, Jets, lets get this deal done so we can start the Brady Quinn era....

Well there you go. I honestly didn't think it would end this way. Anyhow, Browns, Jets, lets get this deal done so we can start the Brady Quinn era....

I'd be mighty pissed if they traded Quinn. You can have Anderson tho.

You'd have to think that the Broncos would be looking for two 1st round draft picks in return for Cutler. I can't see the broncos wanting to start the season with Chris Simms as their starter so you'd have to assume they'd want to take Stafford or Sanchez in the draft. The Broncos have already got pick 12 in the draft, so you'd think they'd be looking for something higher so they would get a shot at one of them. I'm starting to think that Detroit will definitely take Stafford at #1 following his near perfect private workout with the Lions so then it becomes a question of where Sanchez would be likely to fall next.

Jacksonville or the 49ers could have Sanchez on their radar so you'd be looking for at least pick 8 IMO.

You can definitely cross KC and Oakland from the list, and the QB situation at Cleveland and Cincinatti would mean that they could be crossed off as well so it would come down to Detroit, St Louis, Seattle or Jacksonville

Maybe Cutler to the Jags (for pick 8 and next years 1st round pick)

Ideally, we end up with Quinn + a few picks and Cutler goes to Detroit. If Jay wants out we'll ship him to what was very widely regarded to be the worst city in the USA even before the automakers started to fail.
*Begins to brainwash self about Cutler, only remembering negatives*

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh yeah, Cutler will hate throwing to Calvin Johnson...

I'd really prefer him to go somewhere else though.
Record breaking season between the two? Given how badly Cutler locks onto a single target, mix with Calvin's speed to get deep enough quickly to avoid getting Cutler sacked.

You'd have to think that the Broncos would be looking for two 1st round draft picks in return for Cutler. I can't see the broncos wanting to start the season with Chris Simms as their starter so you'd have to assume they'd want to take Stafford or Sanchez in the draft. The Broncos have already got pick 12 in the draft, so you'd think they'd be looking for something higher so they would get a shot at one of them. I'm starting to think that Detroit will definitely take Stafford at #1 following his near perfect private workout with the Lions so then it becomes a question of where Sanchez would be likely to fall next.

Jacksonville or the 49ers could have Sanchez on their radar so you'd be looking for at least pick 8 IMO.

You can definitely cross KC and Oakland from the list, and the QB situation at Cleveland and Cincinatti would mean that they could be crossed off as well so it would come down to Detroit, St Louis, Seattle or Jacksonville

Maybe Cutler to the Jags (for pick 8 and next years 1st round pick)

I very much doubt the Broncos will take a QB with any draft pick they receive and have to start over again. I think they'll want a starting calibre veteran from somewhere plus draft picks. It is for this reason I suggest a third party will be involved. The Bucs don't have anything to offer except picks, same with the Lions, and the Jets. I still see the Browns as the likely target with Quinn (hopefully) and Anderson who seem to be expendable.

I very much doubt they'll want the No.1 overall either. Who the hell would they want to spend a fortune on with that slot?

I think Seattle may be a a bit of a darkhorse in trade talks.

I've been reading they're thinking of taking Sanchez or Stafford with the #4 pick, so why not?? Maybe throw in Hasselbeck to Denver as a caretaker QB for a few years, and exchange a few picks... Who knows???:confused:

Cutler is a pansy ass little girl.

...and I'm sick of seeing the words "elite" and "franchise qb" prefacing any discussion about him (not here, moreso on other football boards)

Yeah he's very talented, has great potential etc. but he hasn't proven shit yet- except that he has a penchant for locking onto Brandon Marshall and trying to force balls through triple coverage to get it to him. He can put up all the pretty numbers in the world but he still hasn't taken his team to the playoffs yet in a division that only had one decent challenger for the crown. Yes we can blame it all on the defense but again that's just another excuse for Cutler. The blame's gotta go 50/50 doesn't it? It's not ALL the fault of their defense. Yeah the D sucked but franchise and elite qb's have to overcome that to some extent, and Cutler couldn't even lead his team to victory over Buffalo at home in the closing weeks of the season that would have given them a playoff berth.

I still think there's a bit of a conspiracy in the works here re. Cutler being pissed that his coaching staff got canned and him and his agent trying to get a massive new contract, a "franchise qb" contract if you will. The whole "they want to trade me and I feel slighted" bleating is a smokescreen for somebody who already wanted to leave once they got rid of Shanahan imo.

Man up you pussy....

Cutler is a pansy ass little girl.

...and I'm sick of seeing the words "elite" and "franchise qb" prefacing any discussion about him (not here, moreso on other football boards)

Yeah he's very talented, has great potential etc. but he hasn't proven shit yet- except that he has a penchant for locking onto Brandon Marshall and trying to force balls through triple coverage to get it to him. He can put up all the pretty numbers in the world but he still hasn't taken his team to the playoffs yet in a division that only had one decent challenger for the crown. Yes we can blame it all on the defense but again that's just another excuse for Cutler. The blame's gotta go 50/50 doesn't it? It's not ALL the fault of their defense. Yeah the D sucked but franchise and elite qb's have to overcome that to some extent, and Cutler couldn't even lead his team to victory over Buffalo at home in the closing weeks of the season that would have given them a playoff berth.

I still think there's a bit of a conspiracy in the works here re. Cutler being pissed that his coaching staff got canned and him and his agent trying to get a massive new contract, a "franchise qb" contract if you will. The whole "they want to trade me and I feel slighted" bleating is a smokescreen for somebody who already wanted to leave once they got rid of Shanahan imo.

Man up you pussy....

Actually it pretty much IS all the fault of the D. The Broncos have terrible D. Atrocious D. Second worst in the league.
There was an interesting stat, that when they hold an opposing team to under 21 points (The Average over the past couple years or something, and hardly a mean ask) The Broncos are something like 14-1.

I understand that they have had a shocking D but I'm not willing to apportion every single bit of the blame to the defense. Cutler is responsible too, as is everyone else on the team. It's not entirely a one way street.

Maybe he just doesn't inspire his team mates, maybe he's not a good leader, which is what one must be if they are to be considered a franchise qb. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt so far but if he gets traded and can't lead his new team to the playoffs who are the apologists gonna blame then? If he can then good on him but he's still not a franchise qb in my eyes (yet)

Fed up Broncos ready to trade Cutler

Detroit, which has the No. 1 overall pick, could make the strongest play for Cutler. The Lions are considering Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the top pick, but could reduce their risk by trading for Cutler instead. In addition, the team could likely sign Cutler to a contract extension for close to the same money Stafford would command as the No. 1 pick.

In addition, NFL sources believe Cook wouldn’t mind having Cutler play in Detroit because Cook also represents Lions budding star receiver Calvin Johnson.

Mike Freeman blog on cbssportsline.com

Good riddance, Jay

What a spoiled, petulant baby.
Denver owner Pat Bowlen said he attempted to reach his quarterback, Jay Cutler, by telephone for the past 10 days and Cutler didn't return calls.
Now the Broncos are attempting to trade Cutler. Good for them.
Whatever team makes that trade had better be careful because Cutler is without question one of the more thin-skinned quarterbacks we've seen in a long time.
Poor, poor Jay-be, way-be.
Not returning calls? Are you kidding me?
You can't pick up the phone Jay and call back the team that has paid you millions of dollars? Not even one return call?
Who do you think you are, Plaxico Burress?
This is spoiled athlete territory and few people seem to agitated by it. In fact, Cutler will be rewarded for his petulant behavior by probably being traded to a contender like Chicago or New York.
My guess: Cutler ends up in New York which would be typical Jets. They'd trade for him and then Cutler would disintegrate the first time a New York tabloid sticks his gigantic head under an unflattering headline.
Don't worry Denver. It'll be addition by subtraction.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Back