NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is there is so much hate for Cutler? Lets have a look at this situation '04 US election style;

McDaniels was for Cutler (looking forward to working with him), then against him (wanting Cassel), then for him (not trading Cutler - "period"), then against him (anyone is tradable) and now seemingly for him.. that is, unless a good QB trade comes along.

And some on here are saying that McDaniels is handling the situation well?

And Woodson, please, keep that Charger propaganda away from this thread ;)

Btw, anyone know what Plummer is up to these days? What about Brian Griese? Garcia could be an option until we attempt to draft yet another young gun QB. Not that they grow on trees... Have to say, it takes some skill to come into a team and totally screw it up in the way McDaniels has, he's even starting to win people over to his "side".

And GG true what you say about us now having very little to bargain with to other teams if we wait longer. The club has to make a decision ASAP (and stick to it for once!) either keep Cutler and work this mess out now or look elsewhere.

Everyone knows Cutler's whiny etc, but imo the real blame is McDaniels for the US Election style as you described. To even question wanting the franchise QB.

And the latest feeling is that the rift is unmendable, so the Broncos are gonna have to pull the trigger on a trade asap.

What's interesting to me too is that Bowlen in a recent interview was asked about MDaniels' handling and he said, "obviously i cant criticize the head coach, blah blah", as he went on to say he's sticking by his HC. That opening line tho kinda shows privately in himself he's probably critical of McDaniels as well....but is forced to stand by his wunderkind or it'd create even worse problems.

the latest...

A league source tells the Denver Post that "at least" four teams called the Broncos this week to express interest in Jay Cutler.
The Broncos still want to set up a sit-down between Cutler and coach Josh McDaniels, but they're going to get trade offers at the weekend's Owners' Meetings. "They should be able to pick a quarterback off a roster and get two No. 1 (pick)s — one this year and one next year," an unnamed NFL executive said. If so, it's hard to imagine the Broncos not pulling the trigger.

With the owners' meeting just days away, i dont see cutler-mcdaniels patching anything up. For Cutler, that owners' meeting being days away is like after all this time of wanting and insisting out you're finally half-way out the door like you wanted and you wont turn back at that point.

So a speedy resolution and trade should finally signal the end of this damned soap opera!

I so want KC to offer Cassel and ream the bejesus out of Denver for him. Not that I'd prefer Cutler over Cassel (very happy for KC to go forward with Matt), I'd just like to see us screw the crap out of the Broncos cause we can! :p:p

GG, I think you're enjoying this too much! :D

Nice pic Woodson... had to laugh at that one.

I'm sick of the maybe/maybe not... wish someone would just make a decision, stick with it, and finish it... either way!

The latest is that a deal is going ahead. That Tampa Bay and Lions are front-runners at the moment, but the Jets with the help of the Browns as a third-party could put forward a winning deal.

Who do you think the fourth team mentioned would be? Niners?

Btw, I like Walterfootball's take on it in their mock draft...

With Josh McDaniels single-handedly debacling the Denver Broncos organization

Who knows what the Broncos are going to do here? Common sense says they'll find a cog for their new 3-4 scheme, but this is the same team that actually tried to downgrade its quarterback position from Jay Cutler to Matt Cassel. If I were friends with Josh McDaniels, I'd constantly offer him $20 bills for $100 bills of his. I'd be rich in no time!

Interesting article here....http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9345936/Cutler's-agent-Cooks-up-another-drama

I really haven't been following this whole saga very carefully so my anti-Cutler bias may get in the way but seriously, isn't it about time he just sucked it up and got on with business now? It seems that McDaniels and co. tried to rebuild the bridge but Cutler just won't come to the party.

If you read the linked article it makes a couple of interesting points, one being that Cutler has wanted out ever since they got rid of Shanahan and their QB coach left for USC, and the other interesting fact is that Cutler and Favre both share the same agent. With the whole Favre circus of last year does it surprise anybody that we're effectively seeing it again with Jay? God damn player agents are worse cancers than the players sometimes...that doesn't excuse you from my wrath Mr. Cutler!!

The funniest part to me is that throughout this farcical process Cutler has been elevated to status reserved for QB's like Manning and Brady. I keep hearing all of this franchise QB talk but is Cutler really that? No playoffs in three full seasons and a record of something like 17-20. I know he has the tools to be a great QB and their defense has been sorry for a while but this is exactly what his agent would have wanted. All of a sudden Cutler is being put on the level of guys that have won Superbowls...driving Jay's value up even higher and making his agent a nice little commision when he signs that big, long term deal. :rolleyes:

Suck it up and get back to work now, Jay.

Good questions, Crumpler. On a Raider forum, they were showing an article from a season or two ago that showed that Plummer was a gun QB, with a great W-L record, playoffs and playoff wins. And them back then questioning the merit of replacing Plummer for the sake of some new studly QB. And in time it's proven right too, Cutler's stats in comparison with Plummer's.

However, it still doesnt excuse McDaniels. Cutler's there now, the franchise QB, and so changing that for a worse product (Cassel) is bone-headed. As well all of McDaniels' "US Election" stuff that camsmith described so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good questions, Crumpler. On a Raider forum, they were showing an article from a season or two ago that showed that Plummer was a gun QB, with a great W-L record, playoffs and playoff wins. And them back then questioning the merit of replacing Plummer for the sake of some new studly QB. And in time it's proven right too, Cutler's stats in comparison with Plummer's.

redragger posted this one in relation to Plummer and Cutler a few days ago...http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11510371

That was a very interesting read and may have been in the same vein as the one you just mentioned.

I think the tide is turning against Jay now. At first there seemed to be quite a bit of sympathy for him but as this whole mess just drags on he seems to be losing the sympathetic crowd. I've even seen quite a few Broncos fans who are sick of it bashing him and wanting him gone over the last couple of days as well.

Yep, that's the same article i think. It's a good article.

I dont like Cutler or McDaniels, or the Broncos, so who's to blame and who is more hated or not, is not important to me. Just that the Broncos are fractured is good from an AFC West pov.

In my eyes, both Cutler and McDaniels are despicable snotty nosed types anyway. Cant stand either of them.

However, it still doesnt excuse McDaniels. Cutler's there now, the franchise QB, and so changing that for a worse product (Cassel) is bone-headed. As well all of McDaniels' "US Election" stuff that camsmith described so well.

Because all things are equal between Plummers team and Cutlers team, right?

Come on, that sort of comparison is ridiculously ill thought out.

Btw, anyone know what Plummer is up to these days?

i assume you ask in jest but interestingly....

tall dude wearing full-length socks....
[YOUTUBE]PDD1GOf1Zp0[/YOUTUBE]

i saw an NFL films story on this over the past-season......4-wall handball is a Plummer family tradition.....father and brothers are all world champions.....unfortunately, the NFL got in the way of Jake's career, but this is what he's working towards now....he even held 'the jake plummer pro invitational.'

besides, the Buccs still hold rights to him after denver traded him to tampa, even though he retired soon after.....just couldnt resist the pull of 4-wall handball.

The Broncos are like a guy who sends girlfriends into lesbianism.

If she's not giving out... that's a damn good thing. :thumbsu:

But on the flipside (pardon the pun), the Eagles are like lesbians playing Twister... in their underwear.. total tease and still not giving out after all these years!!!!

[YOUTUBE]MnooUSYqaeM&hl[/YOUTUBE]

I was one who wanted Plummer to stay on for another season simply because I thought the team was so close to being a superbowl team that it was crazy to start over with a new QB. Switching over mid-season probably cost us a playoff birth in Cutlers debut season.

Now we have made the switch however (and it had to happen sooner or later) its crazy to start over once again.

Crumpler83, anti-Cutler bias is understating it. ;)

The thing is, even those who dislike Cutler like GG should be able to see that McDaniels has handled the situation awfully. And btw, Cutler has always been talked up as being as potentially a star QB, I dont think this trade talk has really changed that. I think its the team around him that has held back his chances at success thus far, not himself (except for perhaps the first season and a half where he had a great team around him... that gets back to my point re: the Plummer/Cutler transition).

As for whether McDaniels tried to fix the relationship.. that all depends on whos side you take and while its easy to say well Cutlers agent is the same of Favres so they must be in the wrong and trying to stir up trouble again... buts thats ignoring the part that McDaniels has played and his flip-flopping. So I personally dont give McDaniels the benefit of the doubt and therefore side with Cutler slightly on who's word to take regarding rebuilding the relationship and whether he really wanted out as soon as Shanahan left which he has denied.

Hopefully this story doesn't stick around one way or another. If I wasn't a Bronco supporter I'd be over it already.

I saw this 'shining parody' pic a while ago, and have been looking for it ever since as I thought gg would like it. Maybe he could put his own touches to it, like replacing the frightented woman with Cutler and Scheffler, and it may rival 'weekend at Josh's'...

shiningmcdaniels2copy.jpg

I saw this 'shining parody' pic a while ago, and have been looking for it ever since as I thought gg would like it. Maybe he could put his own touches to it, like replacing the frightented woman with Cutler and Scheffler, and it may rival 'weekend at Josh's'...

shiningmcdaniels2copy.jpg

Coaching?? How about Cutler Curse?

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL The Jay Cutler Soap Opera

Remove this Banner Ad

Back