The Last Crow Older than You

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
This subject has been raised in another thread, but I thought it was worthy of a thread to call its own.

Who was the last Crows player who was older than you? When this player was retired/delisted/traded you looked at the list and realised that every single player remaining was younger than you.

For me, it was Ben Hart, who retired at the end of 2006.

Plenty (well a fair few - 24), you mad old peeps?

My dream of being a lazy forward pocket remains in tact.

It's a weird process. I remember when I was playing and having Oakley Charger guys at our games and then when a couple of guys from my league got drafted, couple from my year level at school and then guys you were a bit older than, and then you realize your old and it's over.

That said, I played with Patty Rose, who got rookie listed by the Doggies last year.

When the Birdman, Bunji, Goody and Eddo departed last year, I became older than every crow. I still look younger than a few though so that's some consolation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember thinking near the end of Darren Jarman's career "Jeez he's getting on. How much longer is he going to play?"

Then they published his birth date. He's 4 days younger than me. Way to make me feel old, DJ :)

So the answer to the question is "the last player on our list who was older than Darren Jarman", and I have no idea who that was.

Hart would be about mine as well. I'm 36, so it's probably four years since anyone as old me could reasonably hold their spot in a footy team ...

Who would be the oldest Crow?

Tom Warhurst?
Bruce Lindsay?

But unless I can include our first coach then for me no one.
But I am younger than "old man Cornes".
Oldest player I can find on the Player Profiles section is Mark Mickan (born Jan 30th 1961).

Other elderly veterans from our formative years include:
Bruce Lindner, June 20th 1961.
Bruce Lindsay, July 22nd 1961.
Grant Fielke, March 18th 1962.
Bruce Abernethy, May 10th 1962.

Warhurst was born in 1963, not even in the top-5.

This only includes those who actually played a game for the Crows. There may have been even older players who were on our inaugural list but didn't actually get to play a game.

*** David Marshall's bio says that he was the oldest player to make his debut with the club, at 30yrs 265 days. His bio also says that he was born in June 1968, which would have made him 22 on debut in 1991. Methinks his DOB is wrong - one can only assume that others are similarly incorrect.

Oldest player I can find on the Player Profiles section is Mark Mickan (born Jan 30th 1961).

Other elderly veterans from our formative years include:
Bruce Lindner, June 20th 1961.
Bruce Lindsay, July 22nd 1961.
Grant Fielke, March 18th 1962.
Bruce Abernethy, May 10th 1962.

Warhurst was born in 1963, not even in the top-5.

This only includes those who actually played a game for the Crows. There may have been even older players who were on our inaugural list but didn't actually get to play a game.

*** David Marshall's bio says that he was the oldest player to make his debut with the club, at 30yrs 265 days. His bio also says that he was born in June 1968, which would have made him 22 on debut in 1991. Methinks his DOB is wrong - one can only assume that others are similarly incorrect.
i thought he was 33 when he made his debut, but i'm probably wrong :eek:

Goody, Macca and Edwards are all the same age as me so now they are gone, I am older than everyone on the list. (Closes eyes and remembers dreaming about Modra and Liptak as a 16 year old school girl:))

This subject has been raised in another thread, but I thought it was worthy of a thread to call its own.

Who was the last Crows player who was older than you? When this player was retired/delisted/traded you looked at the list and realised that every single player remaining was younger than you.

For me, it was Ben Hart, who retired at the end of 2006.

So, Vader, you're a tad younger than I am. Matty Clarke would also be older than you, who finished up in 2006.

So here's the ranges - if you're older than the oldest man to pull on a Crow jumper you're 50+. David Marshall was born 30 June 1960.

If you're younger than Doughty (5 August '79), you're yet to join this club.

If you're older than Doughty and younger than Macca (4 Aug '76) then this is your debut year.

No new members at the end of 2009 or 2008.

The previous new members have d.o.b. between Macca and Roo (8 June '75) joining at the end of 2007.

Vader joined at the end of 2006 when Matty Clarke (18 Sept '73) defected to StK

No new members at the end of 2005

I joined in 2004 when Burns, Carey and Smart (21 May '69) finished up.

DJars (28 Jan '67), the oldest Crow with a premiership medal, finished in 2001

Chris McDermott (4 Nov '63) was the oldest of the many Crows to end with the Robert Shaw mistake in '96.

A select few born between McDermott and Scott Lee (5 Jun '63) (Who?) joined at the end of '95.

The end of Mark Mickan (30 Jan '61) in '93 saw the first lot of new members after the inaugural crew of '92 formed with the end of David Marshall's career.

Folks younger than Doughty may get to join at the end of this year, how much younger depends on which of the other old farts have 2010 as the swansong:

Doughty (5 Aug '79)
Stevens (15 Jan '82)
Stiffy (21 Oct '82)
Reilly (12 Nov '83)
Thompson (14 Mar '83)

The youngest capped Crow is Jack Gunston - dob 16 May 1991.

So if you're younger than him, you'll have to wait till the list is fully turned over before you join, provided no other oldies get traded in.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Last Crow Older than You

Remove this Banner Ad

Back