The Liberal Party - How long? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Pesutto interviewed by Raf Epstein on Friday afternoon was like a dying fish flopping around in a barrel.
Laughing nervously at Epstein's questions and trying to make out Epstein didn't understand the question (!) while desperately trying to turn the discussion into answer he couldn't even understand after he'd given it.
Parts of that interview were beyond embarrassing.

A robust democracy needs a capable opposition that can hold the govt to account. Victoria has a govt with lots of questionable (at the least) issues - but the opposition make the Keystone Cops look like Sherlock Holmes.

Also Bach on with Trioli on Friday morning, admitting he's an IPA member. Pesutto - also an IPA member.

One of the IPA's tenets is rejection of climate science.

And these guys are allegedly 'moderates'?! 😆

Andrews could try to legislate to make himself leader for life - but he doesn't need to, he just needs to keep the opposition members in parliament.

Devastating take down of Spud & his cohorts pretense to conservatism.

“Is there evidence of genuine political conservatism present in Australia today? We should expect to find it as a significant element, a persuasive presence, in the Liberal Party. However, when we look at contemporary Liberal leaders, there is no sign of a Burkean influence, much less of an understanding of the philosophical bases of conservative ideas in their political imaginings. Instead they are the bitter proponents of what can only be understood as reactionary politics, or the politics of negative expediency and ideological dogmatism.

The fact is that the contemporary Liberal Party of Australia has become a sad relic of what a genuinely conservative party should be. Appropriated by religious zealots, neoliberal ideologues, and wall-eyed reactionaries, it is now a dangerously illiberal and divisive force in Australian politics. Its reactionary “policies” (they are more like slogans) echo many of the alarming restrictions that the Republican Party is imposing on women, ethnic minorities, unions, and the LGBQI+ communities in the USA.

Nowhere is this more evident than in Liberal leader Peter Dutton’s cynical approach to politics”

Pesutto interviewed by Raf Epstein on Friday afternoon was like a dying fish flopping around in a barrel.
Laughing nervously at Epstein's questions and trying to make out Epstein didn't understand the question (!) while desperately trying to turn the discussion into answer he couldn't even understand after he'd given it.
Parts of that interview were beyond embarrassing.

A robust democracy needs a capable opposition that can hold the govt to account. Victoria has a govt with lots of questionable (at the least) issues - but the opposition make the Keystone Cops look like Sherlock Holmes.

Also Bach on with Trioli on Friday morning, admitting he's an IPA member. Pesutto - also an IPA member.

One of the IPA's tenets is rejection of climate science.

And these guys are allegedly 'moderates'?! 😆

Andrews could try to legislate to make himself leader for life - but he doesn't need to, he just needs to keep the opposition members in parliament.
The reality is it is up to Dan to lose - see the last election, he didnt.

What is the significance of admitting he's an IPA member?

Devastating take down of Spud & his cohorts pretense to conservatism.

“Is there evidence of genuine political conservatism present in Australia today? We should expect to find it as a significant element, a persuasive presence, in the Liberal Party. However, when we look at contemporary Liberal leaders, there is no sign of a Burkean influence, much less of an understanding of the philosophical bases of conservative ideas in their political imaginings. Instead they are the bitter proponents of what can only be understood as reactionary politics, or the politics of negative expediency and ideological dogmatism.

The fact is that the contemporary Liberal Party of Australia has become a sad relic of what a genuinely conservative party should be. Appropriated by religious zealots, neoliberal ideologues, and wall-eyed reactionaries, it is now a dangerously illiberal and divisive force in Australian politics. Its reactionary “policies” (they are more like slogans) echo many of the alarming restrictions that the Republican Party is imposing on women, ethnic minorities, unions, and the LGBQI+ communities in the USA.

Nowhere is this more evident than in Liberal leader Peter Dutton’s cynical approach to politics”

About as relevant to ordinary Australia as Joffa's offerings on Collingwood is to the footy public.

See the reference to US politics for the true believers only.

I don't know why Bridget Archer bothers remaining a member of the Liberal Party. Every time she speaks, it's sensible and it's the opposite of whatever s**t the other Liberals are saying.
not sure either. but thank god she does cos she shows up starkly the rightist buffoonery that is the liberal party of today.

She would have been long gone IF she voted that way in the ALP.

Why should they keep her? She can always stand as an independent.
Tasmanian liberals do seem to be different to mainland/ Queensland (seem less right wing) and so the question is whether they could branch stack to remove her (given that she was the only liberal to increase her vote, and has not made any missteps and appears well regarded by the public, I don’t see how they can dump her)

The reality is it is up to Dan to lose - see the last election, he didnt.

What is the significance of admitting he's an IPA member?
IPA believe in irrational positions on climate change and trickle down economics

So membership defines beliefs.
I need to take a look at their website.
For an organisation that is defined as a political influencer yes membership = belief; as opposed to others like footy clubs who have other no belief features.
It’s a similar tarring that is done (fairly) on the religious who attend church as adults

For an organisation that is defined as a political influencer yes membership = belief; as opposed to others like footy clubs who have other no belief features.
It’s a similar tarring that is done (fairly) on the religious who attend church as adults
Are births, deaths & marriages okay ;)

Victoria needs an Opposition for efficient Government.
The Libs can not offer that, & need to understand why they lost the last election - anyone in the party who doesnt see themself as part of the problem are kidding themself. Hello Mr Pesutto.

Sadly the Victorian Media generally isnt willing to hold Mr Andrews to account.
Surely we are not going to end up with a replay of the Cain/Kirner 'rust bucket' State Government that delivered the Kennett era.

Do you care to detail why YOU believe the Libs lost the last election?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

State election: start with the campaign - there was plenty of ammo, & it didnt fire a shot.

Feds: ScoMo.

I would appreciate a bit more detail on the state election as to which ammo was not used, and the issues with the ammo that was used.

I feel your posts dance around a problem you have with the current state party leadership (not in parliament at the last election BTW) without stating it. So I'm giving you an opportunity to clarify before I start posting my assumptions.

^^^

there may be something in this as well

[edit] hmmm - deleted tweet ....... it suggested pesutto is skating on thin ice following bachs resignation - pesuttos decision was an effort to avoid a spill motion from the right more than an expression of any firm conviction on the voice

Last edited:
I would appreciate a bit more detail on the state election as to which ammo was not used, and the issues with the ammo that was used.

I feel your posts dance around a problem you have with the current state party leadership (not in parliament at the last election BTW) without stating it. So I'm giving you an opportunity to clarify before I start posting my assumptions.
Dont let me considering your request stop you pointing out your assumptions.

Dont let me considering your request stop you pointing out your assumptions.

I acknowledge your reluctance to provide the detail. So I'm going to assume you are a "men are men and women are women" ideologue who would like to see the Liberals "take the fight up to Labor" (which is performative rather than productive), also "oppositions are there to oppose" is probably one of your views too. Might also be a "don't out-left the left" subscriber although this is a logical nonsense on every level.

See? I posted what I thought.

I acknowledge your reluctance to provide the detail. So I'm going to assume you are a "men are men and women are women" ideologue who would like to see the Liberals "take the fight up to Labor" (which is performative rather than productive), also "oppositions are there to oppose" is probably one of your views too. Might also be a "don't out-left the left" subscriber although this is a logical nonsense on every level.

See? I posted what I thought.
You give him far too much credit.
He has no coherent thought or political philosophy beyond a vague, amorphous yearning for the days of the Murdoch puppet government.

SA Liberals also against the Voice. I haven’t seen too much detailed State breakdown, but I’d imagine it’s a pretty straightforward metric- the No vote is more popular than they are.

They’ve made the political determination that they’re on a winner here.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Liberal Party - How long? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back